Job Offer Questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Job Offer Questions
I just got back from an interview to be a lifeguard at the local waterpark. Sounds fun, right? Apparently not. Most everyone I know who has worked there said it was miserable. I'm tempted to take it just because it's money, and I need a job, but I don't know if working at a place where I'll be miserable is worth it. There's also some concern as to the pay. Basically it works like this: We agree that I'll work until a specified date. Up until that date I get paid a dollar below minimum wage (minimum wage is $7.25 an hour for all you non-Americans). If I work until or past that date I get paid minimum wage and I get paid a "bonus" of a dollar per every hour worked. If I quit or get fired before that date, I only get $6.25 an hour. I find this a bit off-putting, but I don't know if it's just me being weird or if it's an actual cause for concern. Thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2014, 04:24 PM
RE: Job Offer Questions
(18-03-2014 04:21 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  I just got back from an interview to be a lifeguard at the local waterpark. Sounds fun, right? Apparently not. Most everyone I know who has worked there said it was miserable. I'm tempted to take it just because it's money, and I need a job, but I don't know if working at a place where I'll be miserable is worth it. There's also some concern as to the pay. Basically it works like this: We agree that I'll work until a specified date. Up until that date I get paid a dollar below minimum wage (minimum wage is $7.25 an hour for all you non-Americans). If I work until or past that date I get paid minimum wage and I get paid a "bonus" of a dollar per every hour worked. If I quit or get fired before that date, I only get $6.25 an hour. I find this a bit off-putting, but I don't know if it's just me being weird or if it's an actual cause for concern. Thoughts?

That sounds illegal.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 6 users Like Revenant77x's post
18-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Not sure on the legality of that. If you really need the job then take it, but, follow up with the NLRB about the legality issue. If it's not legal you should file a complaint. Such action is protected activity under the law, so you can't be fired or retaliated against for doing so.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
18-03-2014, 04:37 PM
How can they legally pay below minimum? It's the minimum.
Private or public waterpark?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post
18-03-2014, 04:40 PM
(18-03-2014 04:24 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(18-03-2014 04:21 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  I just got back from an interview to be a lifeguard at the local waterpark. Sounds fun, right? Apparently not. Most everyone I know who has worked there said it was miserable. I'm tempted to take it just because it's money, and I need a job, but I don't know if working at a place where I'll be miserable is worth it. There's also some concern as to the pay. Basically it works like this: We agree that I'll work until a specified date. Up until that date I get paid a dollar below minimum wage (minimum wage is $7.25 an hour for all you non-Americans). If I work until or past that date I get paid minimum wage and I get paid a "bonus" of a dollar per every hour worked. If I quit or get fired before that date, I only get $6.25 an hour. I find this a bit off-putting, but I don't know if it's just me being weird or if it's an actual cause for concern. Thoughts?

That sounds illegal.

It reeks of illegality!

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
18-03-2014, 04:49 PM

I'm pretty sure that is illegal...

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
18-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Oh...I guess everyone pointed that out already lol. When I was in high school I had this job for a week. They told me the first week was a trial and they would put me on the pay roll after that lol. They never did out me in the pay roll or pay me for the 40 hours of life wasted. Haha.
Oh to be young and naive.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
18-03-2014, 05:10 PM
(18-03-2014 04:21 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  Thoughts?

I'm sure you can find something more cerebral with your credentials. That's my thought anyway.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
18-03-2014, 05:17 PM
I think the way they get around the 'legal' part is that since it's for a specified amount of time it's considered 'contract' work and not an hourly employee. Btw you will get fired at the end, it's how they make money.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
18-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Do yourself a favor and find somewhere else to work that won't dick you around from the word go.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post