Job advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2014, 07:20 PM
Job advice
Is job satisfaction more important than money? I have an opportunity to take a job that will nearly double my yearly income and i would get good benefits. The only thing is that I am almost guaranteed not to really enjoy the work plus the hours are longer.

I like my current job, and there is a possibility that in a few years I might be able to take over some of the business, which would eventually be a sweet deal. We're not struggling too bad now, but with two kids we are living paycheck to paycheck and barely making ends meet. Plus we could really use a move into a bigger place, but can't afford it as things are now.

I'm really not that keen on taking a job that I know I'll hate, but life would be so much easier with the extra income right now.

Any advice? Do I wait it out and put my future hopes on an iffy prospect in the job I like, or take the better money and improve my life now? Both companies are owned by good people and I would be well taken care of. It's just the very nature of the new job that would be difficult. I'm not sure what I should do.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-02-2014, 07:42 PM
RE: Job advice
I'm not an expert on this issue, so I'll just ask some questions that when answered may become more clear to others on how to help you.

1) Any specifics on this new job you have the opportunity to take? Why/How do you know you will hate it?

2) How important is your current job to you?

3) Have you spoken to your wife about this? I know it is ultimately how you feel because you're the one going to your job, but how she feels is also important in a family.

4) Is there any chance you can make yourself more inclined to the new job offer?
Maybe go in and ask for details, and look at the work space, stuff like that if you haven't already?

5) How long do you have to decide this?

6) You say you will be taken care of and that the company is owned by good people, but what is so terrible about the nature of the job?

20 Questions! Heh, only reason I'm asking is because I feel people should have more insight about the situation so they can provide better advice.

Best of luck, I hope you make the decision you feel the most comfortable with.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
19-02-2014, 07:43 PM
I would think you owe it to yourself and your family to make life as easy and enjoyable as possible. You're not getting any younger, so now is the time to work hard, put in long hours and get it done. Then later in life you'll be set up and can take it easy, when you'll need to relax. Paycheck to paycheck is no way to live because as much stress you are avoiding at work by staying in the cushy job, you are likely incurring stress at home because the financial side could take its toll. What happens if something severe, FSM forbid, were to happen at home that required a ton of money? How would that affect your current situation? If you're living paycheck to paycheck it has to be weighing on you. Take the new job, bust your ass for as long as needed, suck it up and provide nicely for your wife and kids. Then enjoy the benefits of being set up nicely and retire early.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-02-2014, 07:54 PM
My advice.... life is too short to be miserable.

Blink
If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. -George S. Patton
19-02-2014, 07:56 PM
(19-02-2014 07:20 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Any advice? Do I wait it out and put my future hopes on an iffy prospect in the job I like, or take the better money and improve my life now? Both companies are owned by good people and I would be well taken care of. It's just the very nature of the new job that would be difficult. I'm not sure what I should do.

Standard strategy is to take the money but make sure you don't burn no bridges on your way out. Once you've established your new rate of worth, if you ain't burned no bridges you can come back to your previous employer and if they really like you they'll recognize your new rate of worth. I've seen this strategy work at my place many times (but keep in mind I'm Gumbymint). And once you take the new position you may very well be able to maneuver there into a position you don't hate. That said I just stayed put and achieved the same compensation.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-02-2014, 07:57 PM
I worked my ass off for over a decade to make it possible for me to later take it easy and do work I enjoyed. And I mean I worked over 12 hours a day and often 7 days a week.

Was it worth it? You betcha. In the scope of a life time, 10 years are nothing.

That said, only you can answer your question, because only you know how you hold up under stress.

Can you take a month's leave from your old job and try on the new one?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
19-02-2014, 07:58 PM
(19-02-2014 07:42 PM)Freethought Wrote:  I'm not an expert on this issue, so I'll just ask some questions that when answered may become more clear to others on how to help you.

1) Any specifics on this new job you have the opportunity to take? Why/How do you know you will hate it?

2) How important is your current job to you?

3) Have you spoken to your wife about this? I know it is ultimately how you feel because you're the one going to your job, but how she feels is also important in a family.

4) Is there any chance you can make yourself more inclined to the new job offer?
Maybe go in and ask for details, and look at the work space, stuff like that if you haven't already?

5) How long do you have to decide this?

6) You say you will be taken care of and that the company is owned by good people, but what is so terrible about the nature of the job?

20 Questions! Heh, only reason I'm asking is because I feel people should have more insight about the situation so they can provide better advice.

Best of luck, I hope you make the decision you feel the most comfortable with.

1. Both jobs are in customer service. My current job is in a small mom and pop store with a relaxed atmosphere where I am liked and respected and good at what I do. New job would be customer service rep at a car dealership. You know, the guy who gets to explain to people exactly why their repair is going to cost them three times what they had anticipated.

2.Depends on if it eventually works out to where I am co-owning it. But there's no solid guarantee that will happen.

3. Yes. She's supportive of whatever I decide.

4. Not really. My buddy had the job but was promoted. He gave me fair warning of how it is.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
19-02-2014, 08:03 PM
(19-02-2014 07:57 PM)Dom Wrote:  Can you take a month's leave from your old job and try on the new one?

Not really. I'm the only real employee, there's only three of us so I'd have to be replaced.

~ Umberto Eco
19-02-2014, 08:04 PM
Twice the salary? I'd say go for it so long as you think your family can keep you happy at home! Don't be miserable all the time, though. I figure playing with the wife would make a shitty workday disappear Tongue
Then again, I grew up dirty south, and dirt poor, and would do it again if I could lol
Your kids will still love ya, either way Shy

Side note: Before you know it your babies are gonna be begging for gas money, and the latest gadgetry... Maybe a better paying job could be found in the future if & when it's needed. idk

Good Luck! Consider Get a recording contract, & send me free tickets Cool

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
19-02-2014, 08:14 PM
(19-02-2014 08:04 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Good Luck! Consider Get a recording contract, & send me free tickets Cool

Heh. That was the plan ten years ago. I actually just recently broke up the band so's I could spend more time with the kiddies. Sadcryface

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post