Job advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2014, 08:37 PM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2014 08:59 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Job advice
(19-02-2014 07:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  1. Both jobs are in customer service. My current job is in a small mom and pop store with a relaxed atmosphere where I am liked and respected and good at what I do. New job would be customer service rep at a car dealership. You know, the guy who gets to explain to people exactly why their repair is going to cost them three times what they had anticipated.

That's not a particularly bad job at a car dealer. You'll try to sell me on suggested service at my regular maintenance intervals and I'll show you the requisite maintenance scheduled to maintain my warranty and say "I want that. Just that." (And you'll say okay and then check everything anyway without charging me unless you find something worth reporting. Due diligence. Professionalism. Quality.) If it's more serious shit than regular maintenance then my insurance company is involved and we don't even talk. Dude probably makes 6 figures if he can sell that "suggested maintenance" to enough others.
Finance rep is a much shittier job at a car dealership in my consumer experience. They are very good at finding me the best possible loan rate and then trying to rip me off with some extended warranty bullshit. "Dude? Hyundai's got the best fucking warranty on the planet, that's why I'm buying another one." And then I sit through another 1/2 hour while they still try to sell an extended warranty to me. At least I got a half-hour practice on my glare.
Maybe see if the either the car dealership or mom&pop could work you part time and keep your feet in both jobs?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Here's my husbands story, glean what you want from it. He is in web development for large bank. He worked at the same desk for about 7 years, 3 different companies (mergers). He had friends, but it could be pretty annoying and his last year there he was getting more miserable. One of his co workers left for the new bank in town. Convinced my husband how great it would be. Got sign on bonus, more pay, etc. after 4 months his friend bailed. When his friend left, they bumped my husband up to manager, more money. But my husband isn't a manager, he likes to code. It's what he's good at. His boss was psycho, work hours turned to a nightmare, he barely saw the kids before they were in bed at night. He was miserable, we were miserable and his boss just kept turning into a bigger asshole. Eventually, they brought someone else in to manage ( someone my husband knew from job #1) and he was ok with it. He just wanted to code. He took a pay cut, and the atmosphere there was so bad that others were leaving left and right. All this drama was tough on my husband. He felt like he failed, etc. Then the economy tanked and everyone in this town was just happy to have a job. He was there four years. He finally got out, and now he is back with company #1, in a new position, in a job he loves, at the same pay when he left four years ago, and just got a really great review.

Those four years were a nightmare and I really worried about him at that time. He was exhausted and defeated and daily his psycho boss was on his shit, calling after hours, daily 5 pm meetings that would run for two hours. The increase in pay was not worth the mental stress.

I suggest talking with the place you are at now. Tell them about the offer you have, that you are happy there and really want to stay but you need to have some reassurance about the future plans. Give them some time to come up with something.

Good luck.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
19-02-2014, 08:55 PM
And thinking about my own dealership experience, the guys at the service desk where I take my car are always happy. But they are really good at communication, no surprises. I think people bitch more when they are hit with something they don't expect.......extra long waits, sales pitches, etc

19-02-2014, 08:58 PM
Also, if you are in the market for a new car, you usually get quite a discount too

[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
19-02-2014, 09:04 PM
(19-02-2014 08:55 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  And thinking about my own dealership experience, the guys at the service desk where I take my car are always happy. But they are really good at communication, no surprises. I think people bitch more when they are hit with something they don't expect.......extra long waits, sales pitches, etc

Good customer service reps are paid to act good. Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
19-02-2014, 09:06 PM
(19-02-2014 08:58 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Also, if you are in the market for a new car, you usually get quite a discount too

You a car sales-person?
[Image: 400_F_49039234_Wkebbp8JxOhKlCLikzHf5JNOwfXAAuCX.jpg]

19-02-2014, 09:07 PM
(19-02-2014 09:04 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 08:55 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  And thinking about my own dealership experience, the guys at the service desk where I take my car are always happy. But they are really good at communication, no surprises. I think people bitch more when they are hit with something they don't expect.......extra long waits, sales pitches, etc

Good customer service reps are paid to act good. Tongue

Damn right. My customers actually think I'm a cheery person Laugh out load

I'd also say go for the new job. See how much you are able to sock away without changing your budget much. Use all of your vacation time Wink

You never know what opportunities will come in the future. You may end up not hating the job TOO much. You may actually end up hating the job, as much as you think, and find new opportunities down the road.

Good luck!! Hug

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
19-02-2014, 09:16 PM
(19-02-2014 09:06 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 08:58 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Also, if you are in the market for a new car, you usually get quite a discount too

You a car sales-person?

No the job my husband left was with Ally ( formerly GMAC). They got an employee discount on GM cars.

19-02-2014, 09:23 PM

Good call. My buddy gets hella deals on trade-ins.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
19-02-2014, 11:15 PM
I've been trying to formulate a helpful response but much of what I was thinking others here have already suggested, we have sharp people here. Yes

A few observations and questions.

By already saying you aren't going to like it you are predisposed not to like it; that's a strike against the new job.

Double the pay can go a long way to assuage your discomfort, especially when you see the benefits for your family.

Have you met all the people you would be working with? If not go see if you can have an impromptu interview with a few and see what they say about working there.

Isn't customer service the same anywhere? Sure different product but you are still dealing with customer satisfaction. If you are good at your current job you should be good at the new one too don't you think?

Your current company is small, what does the future look like there for you with regard to compensation and upward mobility? I know you touched on it but perhaps now is the time to have a heart to heart with the owner. They may surprise you.

When you have all the information you are able to gather only then make the decision together with your wife. You both will have to live with it and it will be better no matter how it turns out if you were both in agreement.

Good luck my friend.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post