Job advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2014, 11:54 PM
RE: Job advice
(19-02-2014 11:15 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I've been trying to formulate a helpful response but much of what I was thinking others here have already suggested, we have sharp people here. Yes

A few observations and questions.

By already saying you aren't going to like it you are predisposed not to like it; that's a strike against the new job.

Double the pay can go a long way to assuage your discomfort, especially when you see the benefits for your family.

Have you met all the people you would be working with? If not go see if you can have an impromptu interview with a few and see what they say about working there.

Isn't customer service the same anywhere? Sure different product but you are still dealing with customer satisfaction. If you are good at your current job you should be good at the new one too don't you think?

Your current company is small, what does the future look like there for you with regard to compensation and upward mobility? I know you touched on it but perhaps now is the time to have a heart to heart with the owner. They may surprise you.

When you have all the information you are able to gather only then make the decision together with your wife. You both will have to live with it and it will be better no matter how it turns out if you were both in agreement.

Good luck my friend.

I haven't met anyone else in the company, but the two people directly above me are longtime friends. Plus, coworkers aren't really a concern, I have an uncanny ability to get along with anyone, even if I hate them. Thumbsup

I have decided to go in for an interview, more for me than anything, I pretty much have the job if I want it.

The potential upward mobility of my current job is part ownership of the business when ever the current owner decides he wants to retire. I am at the the top of the list however my financial situation would require quite a bit of leniency and generosity on his part. But he has said that he is willing to do that, I'm just not sure where the numbers will fall. I will need a lot of help.

Thinking about it, I actually would perhaps have a better chance at purchasing it in the future if i was making more money now. Maybe it's the best thing to do all around.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2014, 05:31 AM
(19-02-2014 07:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 07:42 PM)Freethought Wrote:  I'm not an expert on this issue, so I'll just ask some questions that when answered may become more clear to others on how to help you.

1) Any specifics on this new job you have the opportunity to take? Why/How do you know you will hate it?

2) How important is your current job to you?

3) Have you spoken to your wife about this? I know it is ultimately how you feel because you're the one going to your job, but how she feels is also important in a family.

4) Is there any chance you can make yourself more inclined to the new job offer?
Maybe go in and ask for details, and look at the work space, stuff like that if you haven't already?

5) How long do you have to decide this?

6) You say you will be taken care of and that the company is owned by good people, but what is so terrible about the nature of the job?

20 Questions! Heh, only reason I'm asking is because I feel people should have more insight about the situation so they can provide better advice.

Best of luck, I hope you make the decision you feel the most comfortable with.

1. Both jobs are in customer service. My current job is in a small mom and pop store with a relaxed atmosphere where I am liked and respected and good at what I do. New job would be customer service rep at a car dealership. You know, the guy who gets to explain to people exactly why their repair is going to cost them three times what they had anticipated.

2.Depends on if it eventually works out to where I am co-owning it. But there's no solid guarantee that will happen.

3. Yes. She's supportive of whatever I decide.

4. Not really. My buddy had the job but was promoted. He gave me fair warning of how it is.

Ok. So here is the thing about work. It sucks. That's why it's called "work" and not "fun"

Always go with the more money position. Yeah, you might not like it as much, but the money makes life easier elsewhere. Save money like crazy and don't increase your monthly expenditures so much that you are living paycheck to paycheck again.

You have no idea if you will ever co-own, or how long that will take. I promise you - when you own your own business, you work a lot more.

Unless you are going to totally HATE your job, I would say take the promotion.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
20-02-2014, 06:13 AM
(19-02-2014 08:47 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I suggest talking with the place you are at now. Tell them about the offer you have, that you are happy there and really want to stay but you need to have some reassurance about the future plans. Give them some time to come up with something.

Good luck.

I like that. Why not just be honest and come to them with the story? Then you can find out for sure what's ahead there and if you want, get it written up in a contract.

If they won't commit, you know what you have to do, you can't live hand in mouth forever. You are young, if you need to take the plunge, now's the time.

Opportunity comes knocking and all that.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
20-02-2014, 07:37 AM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2014 07:40 AM by wazzel.)
Figure out what is more important to you and follow that. More money sounds nice, but what does it come with? Longer commute? More time at work? etc, etc, etc. You and your family need to be happy with the outcome.

I chased money until I got to a level were I could live comfortable, but not extravagent. When I got to that point I found me a good job in a small town that has similar pay and I punched out of the Houston rat race. I did have to take a noticable (10%) pay cut to do that, but I now live 5 minutes from work instead of 1.5 hours. I do not have to put up with everyone around me tring to climb over me to get ahead. I have more time to spend with my kids and I am back in my home town so I get to see my family and go fishing with my dad. Now when the kids have something at school I can make it. It was worth every penny of the pay cut.

Whatever you choose, best of luck.
[+] 3 users Like wazzel's post
20-02-2014, 10:00 AM
I'll just add a little something from my time at a dealership. One word 'politics'.

Things have probably changed some since I worked at one (1999 last year) and we didnt have a customer rep. What we had was a 'service writer' that also talked to the customers about their cars.

Burn-out seems to come in a drastic fashion at a dealership in that position and the turn over is high. I was at the time in touch with many other people working for other dealers, and the same thing applied there too (so it wasnt just at my work).

I had a 5 bay shop for ten years, that I opened after I left M-B, and the working conditions are much more conducive to feeling at ease.

Maybe a suggestion to put you on with some commission ( up-selling a job), would be a way to get your current employer to pay you more, and by the same stroke also generate more in shop income.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
20-02-2014, 11:40 AM
(20-02-2014 10:00 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Things have probably changed some since I worked at one (1999 last year) and we didnt have a customer rep. What we had was a 'service writer' that also talked to the customers about their cars.

Burn-out seems to come in a drastic fashion at a dealership in that position and the turn over is high. I was at the time in touch with many other people working for other dealers, and the same thing applied there too (so it wasnt just at my work)

Yeah, this actually sounds more like what the title would be. And that's why I'm so hesitant to jump right on it. But the money would be nice.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
20-02-2014, 01:16 PM
(20-02-2014 11:40 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Yeah, this actually sounds more like what the title would be. And that's why I'm so hesitant to jump right on it. But the money would be nice.

That means you'll be writing estimates for the customers and writing the job # and assigning the proper grade tech for that job. If you havent been doing this and or have no fair mechanical background, you may be in for a hell of a learning curve.

Ha, and just wait till you have to deal with a Prima Donna "A" tech and the shop foreman..... Oh boy ! Ohmy

Sorry to say, I used to be that asshole A tech and have gotten more than one service writer shit canned when they dared cross me. Blush

20-02-2014, 01:48 PM
(20-02-2014 01:16 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 11:40 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Yeah, this actually sounds more like what the title would be. And that's why I'm so hesitant to jump right on it. But the money would be nice.

That means you'll be writing estimates for the customers and writing the job # and assigning the proper grade tech for that job. If you havent been doing this and or have no fair mechanical background, you may be in for a hell of a learning curve.

Ha, and just wait till you have to deal with a Prima Donna "A" tech and the shop foreman..... Oh boy ! Ohmy

Sorry to say, I used to be that asshole A tech and have gotten more than one service writer shit canned when they dared cross me. Blush

Well that sounds promising.... Dodgy

~ Umberto Eco
20-02-2014, 02:06 PM
(20-02-2014 01:48 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Well that sounds promising.... Dodgy

Well, it may be different where your at, and I dont want to piss on your parade. IDK, but the only service writers I got along with were ex mechanics that didnt want to twist a wrench anymore (tho almost all went back to wrenching, for the money and less hassle.).

The run of the mill SW was nothing more than a bullshit artist/used car salesman to the top shop guys. No offense intended towards you or anyone who does this for a living, some were pretty decent guys and know not to step on the wrong toes and others got a big head and thought they had some pull to tell a tech or SF, what and how to do things. It doesnt work that way.

Every dealership is run differently to some degree, and you may want to find out exactly what your responsibilities will be, before accepting the job. That should clue you in.

[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
20-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Well one encouraging thing is that both of the dudes that had the job before me (longtime friends) are still with the company and are badgering me to take it. They both think I would do well.

~ Umberto Eco