Job interview tomorrow: pretending I know shit when I don't

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2013, 05:58 PM
RE: Job interview tomorrow: pretending I know shit when I don't
(03-04-2013 05:50 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(03-04-2013 05:49 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  So if someone had fake boobs they shouldn't wear something revealling?

[Image: Two-pink-toilet-rolls.-001.jpg]

Fine, fine! Go ahead and show them off too, don't go all teary eyed on me Drooling

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Attitude, presentation, intelligence, willingness, personality.

They already know you're not a computer whiz. They want retail skills.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
03-04-2013, 06:26 PM
(03-04-2013 06:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  Attitude, presentation, intelligence, willingness, personality.

YES!!!

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
03-04-2013, 06:43 PM
(03-04-2013 05:55 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(03-04-2013 05:47 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Full Circle. So you wouldn't hire utterly pessimistic, horrifyingly cynical people for any job?.....
I'm doomed Sadcryface2 I'm frickin DOOO-HOOOMED Weeping

I think you would make a great Babtist preacher Thumbsup

DAMN. now there's a thought. You wouldn't happen to have a bible on you would ya? Wink

03-04-2013, 06:55 PM
(03-04-2013 06:26 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(03-04-2013 06:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  Attitude, presentation, intelligence, willingness, personality.

YES!!!

Not to be a buzzkill but I think Chas meant selling skills not shopping skills.

But you will do great, be enthusiastic, offer to learn whatever they need you to learn. Keep us posted.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post
03-04-2013, 07:20 PM
I agree that its mostly about being friendly, and retail skills...

That being said, computer tech is ALWAYS changing, so ability to learn is more important than the tech knowledge. When I built my PC last year, I had been out of the loop for about 5 years, and a ton of stuff had changed, but the basics were still the same. Arm yourself with some basic foundations and you're good to go.
03-04-2013, 08:53 PM
(03-04-2013 05:17 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  So as the title says, I'm going in for a job interview at a local computer parts store (Vosur, if you laugh, I SWEAR Tongue ) and I've already told them I don't know shit about even the basics of computers. They're still putting me in for an interview tomorrow.

Fuck, it's been so long... I can almost taste the fear.

So, any advice on how to make it look like I know shit when I really don't? They already know, so it's more of my trying to put my best 'game face' (rawr) to show them I'm in for quite the bumpy ride.

I don't think it's a good idea to pretend to be something you aren't. I would recommend being open and honest about your knowledge. It is more effective to admit to your weaknesses, and then stress your strengths, than to lie and compromise your integrity right off the bat. No employer is happy to discover that they have not been told the truth about the qualifications of their new employee.

Religion, rather than acting as a symbol of truth or justice, merely acts as a symbol of human gullibility and stupidity. Surely no race of beings with any real intelligence would concoct such drivel.
[+] 1 user Likes Prometheus762's post
03-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Focus on your skills you have (team player, takes initiative, pays attention to details, etc- but in your words) and admit to a willingness to learn and adapt as quickly as possible. Look up interview questions online and think of how you'd answer them. Good luck!
04-04-2013, 12:15 AM
(03-04-2013 06:55 PM)Anjele Wrote:  But you will do great, be enthusiastic, offer to learn whatever they need you to learn. Keep us posted.

Pretty much what everyone else has said ... cep maybe the boob revealing stuff. Dodgy

And yes, yes, yes - what Anj said!! Enthusiasm and an inquisitive, willingness to learn will give the impression that this is a worker with potential and not just someone who wants or needs a job. Let them know this will be a great opportunity for you to further your education in this area and you would look forward to experience training, the way they want you trained.

Often an employer wants to know why should they hire you and not one of the other seventy people interviewing for the job? What can you contribute to their team? Now's the time to research the company; find out what you can about them on the interwebz. Do they have a website and who maintains it? What is going on with their advertising? Reading about this stuff just might provide you with a buzz word to toss into the discussion. You're going to be selling and they want to see that; you sell yourself, you get the job.

Be confident; relax the body during the interview - legs crossed at ankles, never knees. Answer the questions thoughtfully and honestly and try to think of a couple of questions before hand, in case they ask if you have questions.

You'll do great. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
04-04-2013, 07:08 AM
The key to job interviews (coming from someone who's only ever had two jobs) is to come across as fucking awesome.
Go in shake their hand firmly, be funny but not too funny that you make him crap his pants and if you're not funny don't even try because shit will just be awkward.

If all else fails Chopper Reid as an excellent guide:

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.