Job interview, yay! With a Christian company...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2012, 05:04 AM
Job interview, yay! With a Christian company...
Hello, all! On the plus side, I have a job interview on Tuesday! On the negative side, it appears to be a very Christian company based on their website. Now I'm sure most of the places I interviewed at probably had Christian higher ups, but here I'm pretty sure they'll grill me on religion. Their website's company mission is "To serve the Lord and glorify Him using the gifts He has given our employees to research, develop, manufacture, and market products that improve the quality of life for people and their pets." And it's also a private company. But in this economy, I really just want a damn job. Now, the other day, I got an exam under anesthesia and was a little surprised that they asked me my religion, but since my mom was with me and I'm not quite ready to tell her yet, I just said "Christian" because in this case, I don't think the hospital knowing the religion of anyone really hurts in the long run (I'm guessing they only use it so they don't serve pork to the Jews in their meals and stuff like that).
So, on the plus side it's a job, so I want it. Also, I don't think companies are allowed to discriminate based on religion no matter what they're founded on, right? I don't mind them being Christian as long as they don't mind me not being Christian.
On the negative side, it's a job a trained chimp can do, not really something you need a bachelor's degree for. It says right in the job description that a high school diploma or GED is all you need. And they had someone else in this position but had to fire them due to incompetence.
Also on the plus side, they can't actually fire me for religion, they'll have to come up with something else on the pink slip, so I could keep quiet from my mom even if I do get fired. Also, it would count as "experience" and maybe help me get a better job.

So, do you think I should lie to get a job or keep my dignity and jobless status? Ideally I'd like to keep my dignity, but....potential job in bad economy....after almost a year of hunting out of college, makes me a bit more willing to sacrifice my dignity.

"Ford! There's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out."
~Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2012, 05:14 AM
RE: Job interview, yay! With a Christian company...
dignity is a concept derived from the idea that human life is sacred in a religious way, so being a good atheist also means giving up all dignity and morality... in other words, go for the job!! (you can "deconvert" once you're already hired) Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
23-03-2012, 06:17 AM
(23-03-2012 05:04 AM)otaku_cj Wrote:  Hello, all! On the plus side, I have a job interview on Tuesday! On the negative side, it appears to be a very Christian company based on their website. Now I'm sure most of the places I interviewed at probably had Christian higher ups, but here I'm pretty sure they'll grill me on religion. Their website's company mission is "To serve the Lord and glorify Him using the gifts He has given our employees to research, develop, manufacture, and market products that improve the quality of life for people and their pets." And it's also a private company. But in this economy, I really just want a damn job. Now, the other day, I got an exam under anesthesia and was a little surprised that they asked me my religion, but since my mom was with me and I'm not quite ready to tell her yet, I just said "Christian" because in this case, I don't think the hospital knowing the religion of anyone really hurts in the long run (I'm guessing they only use it so they don't serve pork to the Jews in their meals and stuff like that).
So, on the plus side it's a job, so I want it. Also, I don't think companies are allowed to discriminate based on religion no matter what they're founded on, right? I don't mind them being Christian as long as they don't mind me not being Christian.
On the negative side, it's a job a trained chimp can do, not really something you need a bachelor's degree for. It says right in the job description that a high school diploma or GED is all you need. And they had someone else in this position but had to fire them due to incompetence.
Also on the plus side, they can't actually fire me for religion, they'll have to come up with something else on the pink slip, so I could keep quiet from my mom even if I do get fired. Also, it would count as "experience" and maybe help me get a better job.

So, do you think I should lie to get a job or keep my dignity and jobless status? Ideally I'd like to keep my dignity, but....potential job in bad economy....after almost a year of hunting out of college, makes me a bit more willing to sacrifice my dignity.

I wouldn't lie on the forms, but try to get around it as much as possible. If they ask for religion and such, try to see if you can take the form and get copies to send to the gov or something. They will probably be a little more subtle than that if they do screen for religion. If I were you, I'd try to get a tour of the place first. If it's big then that's even better. Talk to people and ask about things in the facility or company. Then when you go to the interview, try to bring that up as often as possible. Show how much you are into family and caring for others if they lead into Christianity (don't lie, but highlight your pluses). Try to avoid the question as much as possible by leading the interview if you can. It's hard to do, but can be done if you are good with wording. I've never had to do it with a religion problem, but have had to do it where they didn't ask for a degree, but didn't want to hire me because I didn't have one. I had to fight pretty hard to push myself into the job, and some HR people probably hated me, but got the job anyway. With religion it's going to have to be a little more covert, but you are going to have to do what you can to get around them asking you blunt questions. Even then, don't answer them. If you feel you have to, make it sound insulting that they ask (because it is). Like if they ask "are you a Christian" you can come back with "How could you ask that?" or something along those lines. You don't answer the question and give the impression that you are insulted that they would insinuate anything else. I would still get copies and maybe make notes on exactly what went on during interviews when you are still fresh in case they try to fire you later and say you said something you didn't during the interview.

If you do get hired, it probably won't be as bad as you think in terms of getting fired, but maybe the people might be overzealous. That's why you really should tour and talk to people in the company to get a feel for things first. If you can't stand them just walking around the place, then you really shouldn't put yourself in a position where you have to see them every day and are slowly driven mad. I wouldn't mind it, but to a point.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes craniumonempty's post
23-03-2012, 06:17 AM
Go get the job Smile You can always quit later if the religion gets too much.

Also... Huh God takes an interest in pets now?
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
23-03-2012, 06:43 AM
This is Nutramax, the company that makes Cosequin for pets (it helps with their joints if anyone is curious)

@crainumonempty
Good point, if they do ask anything like "what do you believe in", well there's plenty that I believe in, a god just isn't one of them.

"Ford! There's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out."
[+] 1 user Likes otaku_cj's post
23-03-2012, 07:01 AM
(23-03-2012 06:43 AM)otaku_cj Wrote:  This is Nutramax, the company that makes Cosequin for pets (it helps with their joints if anyone is curious)

@crainumonempty
Good point, if they do ask anything like "what do you believe in", well there's plenty that I believe in, a god just isn't one of them.

Yeah, I said talk about family and stuff, but that was really if they bring up Christianity directly. Even then you should try to bring the conversation back to the job itself. Regardless of how much you try to lead the interviewer, don't talk too much during the interview. That has cost me a few jobs. I go on for way too long. Short, sweet, and if you mess up, trying to cover it will probably just make things worse (because it focuses on the fact that you just messed up, just hope the next question will lead away, or that they will ask you to clarify... then try to explain it). Think, listen, understand about the job, and don't worry about the religion thing, but keep it in your mind so it doesn't surprise you if it does get asked.

23-03-2012, 07:08 AM
Ah, I see what you mean. I'll try not to mention my family's religion though, as they are Christian. Or might that be a good thing since they might simply assume I am without even asking a hinting question at it?

23-03-2012, 08:43 AM
(23-03-2012 07:08 AM)otaku_cj Wrote:  Ah, I see what you mean. I'll try not to mention my family's religion though, as they are Christian. Or might that be a good thing since they might simply assume I am without even asking a hinting question at it?

Yeah, but don't go in that direction, because then you are leading the questions in the wrong way. The interviewer might think you want to go in that direction. That's why you should focus on the job and keep it short and simple.

23-03-2012, 08:49 AM
Which state do you live in?

At-will states can fire you for anything they want.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
23-03-2012, 08:54 AM
@cranium
I know, but since this is my first Christian company, I just want to have some sort of emergency plan in mind

@kings
I live in Maryland