Job interview, yay! With a Christian company...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2012, 08:58 AM
RE: Job interview, yay! With a Christian company...
Okay, I think you're safe then. Just get hired first. You can't be fired for being an atheist because Maryland isn't at-will.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Florida is an at-will state. Sad

But so far every company I've worked at has been decent to me. The church I worked at for a little while sucked though. Undecided
23-03-2012, 02:27 PM
(23-03-2012 08:54 AM)otaku_cj Wrote:  @kings
I live in Maryland

Howdy neighbor. Gonna make it to the rally on the mall tomorrow?

(23-03-2012 05:04 AM)otaku_cj Wrote:  On the negative side, it's a job a trained chimp can do, not really something you need a bachelor's degree for. It says right in the job description that a high school diploma or GED is all you need. And they had someone else in this position but had to fire them due to incompetence.

That's pretty fucking funny. Guess they found a chimp which couldn't be trained.

(23-03-2012 05:04 AM)otaku_cj Wrote:  So, do you think I should lie to get a job or keep my dignity and jobless status?

Fuck dignity. I'd pretend like I'm a lost soul still searching so they'd hire me just to witness to me. Might even be able to milk a couple years of high ratings out of it. Or I'd just check out Federal employment at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds since you seem to be local to it. Metaphysics and religion will never even be brought up. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
26-03-2012, 04:40 AM
I would be very skeptical if the company writes stuff like that on their website! For me it sounds not very trustworthy and somehow... dubious. Do you know what I mean? I would just go to the job interview and check them out. You will see soon if it will be possible for you to work together with these people or not.
29-03-2012, 07:48 AM
Well, the interview went well enough, they didn't ask any religious questions, though they had 2 bibles in the lobby and a book about how America has strayed from the bible, why that's a bad thing, and why it needs to be fixed, and a plaque of the ten commandments in the lobby too.

That said, I wasn't picked anyway because they said I wasn't "personable enough" even though they were impressed with the very skills they were looking for. I'll admit I was in a "not giving a damn" mood that day, I knew I was going out to dinner for my sister's birthday (which was tons of fun except that it took them an hour to seat us because the place doesn't do reservations for some stupid reason), so I was basically saving all of my damns for that evening.

Still, I think it's for the best I wasn't hired there. But thanks for all the opinions and suggestions!
@Lyssa, yeah, I got that dubious feeling from their website too.

"Ford! There's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out."
~Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
29-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Hey it could be worse. When I got caught reading the god delusion at work on lunch they tried to write me up for bringing inappropriate content to work.

I don't think I've ever seen a union jump so fast at my bosses in my life. It's honestly amazing sometimes how much everyone bands together to protect religious freedoms.
[+] 1 user Likes Godless's post
30-03-2012, 06:23 AM
(23-03-2012 05:04 AM)otaku_cj Wrote:  Hello, all! On the plus side, I have a job interview on Tuesday! On the negative side, it appears to be a very Christian company based on their website. Now I'm sure most of the places I interviewed at probably had Christian higher ups, but here I'm pretty sure they'll grill me on religion. Their website's company mission is "To serve the Lord and glorify Him using the gifts He has given our employees to research, develop, manufacture, and market products that improve the quality of life for people and their pets." And it's also a private company. But in this economy, I really just want a damn job. Now, the other day, I got an exam under anesthesia and was a little surprised that they asked me my religion, but since my mom was with me and I'm not quite ready to tell her yet, I just said "Christian" because in this case, I don't think the hospital knowing the religion of anyone really hurts in the long run (I'm guessing they only use it so they don't serve pork to the Jews in their meals and stuff like that).
So, on the plus side it's a job, so I want it. Also, I don't think companies are allowed to discriminate based on religion no matter what they're founded on, right? I don't mind them being Christian as long as they don't mind me not being Christian.
On the negative side, it's a job a trained chimp can do, not really something you need a bachelor's degree for. It says right in the job description that a high school diploma or GED is all you need. And they had someone else in this position but had to fire them due to incompetence.
Also on the plus side, they can't actually fire me for religion, they'll have to come up with something else on the pink slip, so I could keep quiet from my mom even if I do get fired. Also, it would count as "experience" and maybe help me get a better job.

So, do you think I should lie to get a job or keep my dignity and jobless status? Ideally I'd like to keep my dignity, but....potential job in bad economy....after almost a year of hunting out of college, makes me a bit more willing to sacrifice my dignity.

No don't lie or be dishonest. Your lack of religion probably won't come up, as it does violate laws concerning discrimination in the workplace. If they do ask, be truthful but polite. If they are worth their salt, they will care more about the quality of your work and work ethic than anything else.

Next if you are hired, as a general rule, don't talk about religion at work. It creates conflicts and a lot of strife. There are a 1001 other topics to discuss with co-workers which are pleasant and appropriate. Religion and politics are landmines in the office.

Third, if co-workers are prosthelytizing to you and it's unwanted, politely refuse and tell your supervisor about it, if nothing is done, make careful notes about times, dates, specific events, etc and report this to a group who handles workplace discrimination such as FFRF or the ADL. They can provide further resources for you on this issue.

Hope that helps. Good luck with the interview!
30-03-2012, 04:22 PM
I'm telling you, get a Government job. They are as secular as you will ever find because the job requires it.

Federal jobs at Aberdeen Proving Grounds.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.