Jobs Without a Time Clock

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2012, 06:06 AM
RE: Jobs Without a Time Clock
c) Become a priest

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Leela's post
10-07-2012, 04:16 PM
(10-07-2012 03:58 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Erx,
Does your performance directly impact putting food on other people's tables? If salespeople don't sell... no revenue, no company.

Do you believe in the products/services you are selling? (I use the term "believe in" in a non-religious sense.

Does competition with / against other sales staff excite you?

Do you like setting yourself goals (not just sales or revenue targets) that when met give you a sense of pride / achievement?

If the answers to these questions is "no"... change jobs.

I am sure that I don't need to say that you need to find out what drives / motivates / excites you... outcomes / targets / deadlines / your own happiness / the happiness of others etc.

Maybe it's about sharing your wisdom and experiences with others so that they can learn from you mistakes / successes, if so:
a) Write a book
b) Become a trainer
c) Become a priest

Just a thought.
Deej,
I work for a small marking company that does about $2 million a year in sales. My Sales Goal from the Company is $350,000 a year. Halfway through the year I'm on pace to end up 25% over goal (unless I continue slacking off). There are 2 other sales reps and I out sell them as much as 200% some months. The sales staff does about half the business and house accounts provide the rest. So, question 1 and3...I'm putting food on the table and I'm comfortably competing against co-workers.
I do "believe" in what I sell, I'm just not typically excited about it. I don't sell ginsu knives or exercise equipment so I don't feel like I'm trying to sell something people don't really need. The company I work for makes Aerospace placards and labels, as well as rubber stamps, nameplates, namebadges, interior signage, etc. If you fly on a Boeing airplane, chances are, on the over head bins that mark what Seat Row you are in, we might have screenprinted that image. Or the little sticker that says "Fasten Seatbelt" etc,. If you fly on a Lufthansa flight, first class, we probably did the labels that tell you how to turn your seat into a bed. Stuff like that.

I do pretty poorly with personal goals. I very rarely complete any goal that I set for myself. That's one reason I used the word "lazy" to describe myself in my OP.
I would like to write a book, however, that falls under the previous sentence...I've started a couple of times and didn't get very far.
I definitely need to change jobs, I just feel stuck because I'm not sure what to change to. I don't want to jump into another crappy job. I have some ideas, but that involves grad school and money stopped growing on trees for me a while back. Blush

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
10-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Gigolo? Wink

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
10-07-2012, 11:27 PM
An obvious choice but only if I can get some of Girly's jelly!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
10-07-2012, 11:31 PM
(10-07-2012 11:27 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  An obvious choice but only if I can get some of Girly's jelly!
Or you could just take the big 'V' Thumbsup and become the human tripod!

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
11-07-2012, 03:29 AM
Hi Erx,
Mmmm. Maybe the answer lies outside the job.
You are performing well and there is satisfaction in the product and that you are helping others survive. Satisfaction but not excitement.
The job provides stability, which is useful if prone to bouts of depression / lethargy (btw lethargy is a problem for me if I eat too much wheat (bread, pasta etc.)) but perhaps stimulus should be sought beyond the work environment.
Sport is a good tool for many but so is amateur dramatics or in your case, given your wit and sense of the surreal / poignant (not as extreme as HoC but y'know what I mean) you should try stand-up comedy? Unlike writing a book, am-dram and stand-up give you deadlines / milestones. I have a feeling that you might be motivated by deadlines. I hate deadlines but they do get me motivated.
You must have plenty of tales from your preacherman days that would amuse an enlightened audience and there is plenty of material on this site to draw from.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
11-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Extracurricular activity! Very interesting idea, DLJ!

Erx - you might want to look for an open mic night at some local dive to get out your ya-yas!

As I recall, the last time I was enthused about anything had something to do with a band ... I don't even think we had a name. Seemed to be the last time I really gave a shit about getting off my ass at all.

Wow - thanks for reminding me, man - I'm actually kind of enthused for myself, just thinking about it right now. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
11-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Any time.

11-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Quote:Anyone else have a job where you don't have to log in?

In the military I have a fair amount of autonomy. More than someone would expect from what is perceived to be such a strict and rigid sort of line of work. Working in the "secret squirrel" kind of world lends credibility to individuals due to lengthy background investigations for security clearances, and those that hold clearances are held to a higher standard of self discipline than those without.

Quote:If so, what motivates you?

You have to love this job to do it. Those that don't like it either get into trouble or they get out. My job has a high degree of personal satisfaction.

Quote:How do you keep going even when no outside force is keeping your nose to the grindstone?

The work has to be done.
[+] 1 user Likes StatiK's post
11-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Kim, let's get the band back together!
Deej...good advice...I'm definitely the same as you with deadlines. I hate them with a passion, but I'll always do my best to meet them when I have to. It's the open ended stuff that I have problems with following through.
The idea of Passion has haunted me for around 10 years now. When I was in my last year and a half as a pastor, I briefly dated a woman who said on her way out the door that she didn't think I had passion about my work. This upset me because I was totally passionate about the Lord and His Work...so I thought. Her comments sent me on a journey of introspection about my passion for ministry and at the end of the next year, I resigned because I realized she was right. The problem is...I never did find the answer to what am I passionate about?
If it weren't for lack of I actually would be more inclined to write about my experiences than to do stand-up. I'm truly only witty half the time. Yes, I am a half-wit. So writing allows me to come up with something clever that I may not be able to do so well extemporaneously. I lost some of my public speaking mojo when I renounced the Holy Spirit. Smile
You've given me something to think about. I appreciate that greatly! Thumbsup

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post