Jobs for a introvert with social anxiety.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2016, 10:12 AM
RE: Jobs for a introvert with social anxiety.
How fast/well do you type? Maybe a data entry type job? You could check with local employment agencies to maybe give it a try.

As a bookkeeper (non-degreed)...much of my work is done alone for the most part. But I have held jobs that are primarily data entry...working with specific software to the company and/or Excel. Often that allows for being able to listen to music, podcasts, or audio books. The primary concern is X number of keystrokes per minute with accuracy and little human interaction after the training phase is over.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2016, 04:31 PM
(26-11-2016 05:42 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(26-11-2016 04:13 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Maybe something with computers? Or a night auditor? Or an overnight counselor? Maybe a psychologist, where you are only dealing with one or two people at a time? A work at home position of some sort? A dog walker or professional house sitter. A writer? An archivist? Some type of repair person--electrician, plumber etc. where you are only dealing with a few people at once and dealing mostly with fixing things. An occupational therapist (again only dealing with one person at a time). Truck driver?

I can vouch that being a night auditor, at least for a hotel, requires zero experience and works out pretty well if you prefer being by yourself and doing paperwork instead of dealing with people. So long as you don't mind working the night shift, most places seem happy to take whoever they can get provided they show up reliably. No manager wants to be called in at midnight to cover for an auditor no-show.

I should know, it's my job.

I am the night. Darkness is my environment. You can tell by the whiteness of my skin. I'll look into it.

(26-11-2016 05:59 AM)unsapien Wrote:  Car Jockey/Dealer Trade Driver

Log in new cars coming in off the transports, move cars around the dealership lot and showroom, wash cars, drive cars between dealerships when they trade them between each other or to other shops to have accessories added etc , mostly in the city, but sometimes from city to city.

Just you and cars all day. Just need a driver's licence with a clean record.

I do like driving but horrible with directions. No worries on the driving record.

(26-11-2016 06:17 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(26-11-2016 02:41 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Anyone have any job recommendations for someone who is bad around strangers and likes to be by himself? Hard to find these days. I thought abut driving for Lyft or Uber but idk how I'd handle that.

Flip houses.

Can't, skipped leg day.

(26-11-2016 06:27 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Actor.

Yeah, I know that probably seems a bit odd but trust me (cos I'm someone on the internet).

Sign up with an amateur dramatic society and do a couple of shows as an extra. Then audition for a supporting role.

There's no money in it and you'll still be an introvert but you'll learn to master the social anxiety.

Break a leg.

Yes

I could be a good actor, made you all think I was human.

(26-11-2016 06:47 AM)Dom Wrote:  I used to regularly go to online job places and hire people for temp jobs to do on the computer from home. Some of the jobs turned into careers.

There are lots of online jobs, try looking for some as content writer, you can surely handle short descriptions of items or processes...

Currently looking into stuff like that.

(26-11-2016 08:34 AM)jennybee Wrote:  

Yeah, I know that probably seems a bit odd but trust me (cos I'm someone on the internet).

Sign up with an amateur dramatic society and do a couple of shows as an extra. Then audition for a supporting role.

There's no money in it and you'll still be an introvert but you'll learn to master the social anxiety.

Break a leg.

Yes

Or possibly go to a therapist who specializes in anxiety disorders and get some tools and/or meds to better deal with it.

As much as I appreciate you caring about me I asked for job recommendations not life advice Tongue

(26-11-2016 09:57 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Another idea would be an overnight security guard.

If you wanted something a little more active--possibly a store detective. I was a store detective in college. They hired me without experience. You do walk around the stores--so customers are obviously there--but you don't interact with them. You just walk around and pretend to be shopping (which wasn't difficult for me Girl_nails Tongue )

In addition to pretending to be a customer, and for a good portion of the time, you're on your own in the office with the cameras or climbing up into towers or into rafters to watch and catch shoplifters.

Obviously, sometimes there's a few tussles on occasion, but it didn't happen too often. I only got into one or two fistfights during the three years I worked there and that was due to a customer completely snapping when I stopped them for stealing. It was also in the inner city.

I've tried applying for a couple f those but nothing has come out of it.

(26-11-2016 10:12 AM)Anjele Wrote:  How fast/well do you type? Maybe a data entry type job? You could check with local employment agencies to maybe give it a try.

As a bookkeeper (non-degreed)...much of my work is done alone for the most part. But I have held jobs that are primarily data entry...working with specific software to the company and/or Excel. Often that allows for being able to listen to music, podcasts, or audio books. The primary concern is X number of keystrokes per minute with accuracy and little human interaction after the training phase is over.

Last I checked like 40 something WPM. Not fast enough for a lot of places.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
26-11-2016, 04:50 PM
Jobs for a introvert with social anxiety.
I was in that boat and surrendered to a overnight stocker job but in a 24 hour store so I still had some stranger interaction and mainly it was benefiting to my growing as able to deal with random people, not that it's a job of desire to keep

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
26-11-2016, 04:51 PM
(26-11-2016 02:41 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Anyone have any job recommendations for someone who is bad around strangers and likes to be by himself?

Social worker.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
26-11-2016, 04:57 PM
(26-11-2016 04:31 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(26-11-2016 05:42 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I can vouch that being a night auditor, at least for a hotel, requires zero experience and works out pretty well if you prefer being by yourself and doing paperwork instead of dealing with people. So long as you don't mind working the night shift, most places seem happy to take whoever they can get provided they show up reliably. No manager wants to be called in at midnight to cover for an auditor no-show.

I should know, it's my job.

I am the night. Darkness is my environment. You can tell by the whiteness of my skin. I'll look into it.

(26-11-2016 05:59 AM)unsapien Wrote:  Car Jockey/Dealer Trade Driver

Log in new cars coming in off the transports, move cars around the dealership lot and showroom, wash cars, drive cars between dealerships when they trade them between each other or to other shops to have accessories added etc , mostly in the city, but sometimes from city to city.

Just you and cars all day. Just need a driver's licence with a clean record.

I do like driving but horrible with directions. No worries on the driving record.

(26-11-2016 06:17 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Flip houses.

Can't, skipped leg day.

Break a leg.

Yes

(26-11-2016 06:47 AM)Dom Wrote:  I used to regularly go to online job places and hire people for temp jobs to do on the computer from home. Some of the jobs turned into careers.

There are lots of online jobs, try looking for some as content writer, you can surely handle short descriptions of items or processes...

(26-11-2016 08:34 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Or possibly go to a therapist who specializes in anxiety disorders and get some tools and/or meds to better deal with it.

As much as I appreciate you caring about me I asked for job recommendations not life advice Tongue

(26-11-2016 09:57 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Another idea would be an overnight security guard.

If you wanted something a little more active--possibly a store detective. I was a store detective in college. They hired me without experience. You do walk around the stores--so customers are obviously there--but you don't interact with them. You just walk around and pretend to be shopping (which wasn't difficult for me Girl_nails Tongue )

In addition to pretending to be a customer, and for a good portion of the time, you're on your own in the office with the cameras or climbing up into towers or into rafters to watch and catch shoplifters.

Obviously, sometimes there's a few tussles on occasion, but it didn't happen too often. I only got into one or two fistfights during the three years I worked there and that was due to a customer completely snapping when I stopped them for stealing. It was also in the inner city.

(26-11-2016 10:12 AM)Anjele Wrote:  How fast/well do you type? Maybe a data entry type job? You could check with local employment agencies to maybe give it a try.

I wasn't trying to give you life advice. My post was only in relation to the social anxiety part of your post and to a post DLJ made to help alleviate or better deal with social anxiety, which in turn, may open you up to more job possibilities.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
26-11-2016, 05:03 PM
(26-11-2016 04:57 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(26-11-2016 04:31 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I am the night. Darkness is my environment. You can tell by the whiteness of my skin. I'll look into it.

Can't, skipped leg day.

I wasn't trying to give you life advice. My post was only in relation to the social anxiety part of your post and to a post DLJ made to help alleviate or better deal with social anxiety, which in turn, may open you up to more job possibilities.

I know what you meant. I figured the Tongue would be a good enough sign I wasn't being serious about it.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
26-11-2016, 05:50 PM
(26-11-2016 02:41 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Anyone have any job recommendations for someone who is bad around strangers and likes to be by himself? Hard to find these days. I thought abut driving for Lyft or Uber but idk how I'd handle that.

Researcher, fact checker, jobs were you go and dig up information, sort it, and present a summary with supporting evidence.

Or you could work at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, they hire people who hate dealing with people all the time.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
26-11-2016, 05:57 PM
Postman is another idea. Or FedEx/UPS driver.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
26-11-2016, 06:21 PM
(26-11-2016 05:57 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Postman is another idea. Or FedEx/UPS driver.

Long haul trucker, smoke spotter, nature film maker, night watchman at the Smithsonian...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-11-2016, 06:31 PM
(26-11-2016 06:21 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(26-11-2016 05:57 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Postman is another idea. Or FedEx/UPS driver.

Long haul trucker, smoke spotter, nature film maker, night watchman at the Smithsonian...

What is a smoke spotter?