Joe Hutto and the Mule Deer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2014, 07:10 PM
Joe Hutto and the Mule Deer
Naturalist Joe Hutto lives in Wyoming and has, over the past seven years, gained the trust of a herd of mule deer. Unlike white tailed deer who have been around for about 6 million years, these deer evolved relatively recently.

In a new PBS documentary and book, Hutto tells his story of living with the deer. Most striking to me was Hutto's description of the mule deer's social identity and social life and his description of mule deer emotions.

Turns out that these guys have a vivid capacity for what are typically thought of as human emotions: sorrow, despondency, sympathy, etc. Also, with some documentary filmmakers,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tw8hJAjl7M

Have you guys seen the full documentary or read the book? I'd be curious to hear what you all think!

"The truth must dazzle gradually / or every man be blind." Emily Dickinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Virgo Supercluster's post
16-04-2014, 09:47 PM
RE: Joe Hutto and the Mule Deer
(16-04-2014 07:10 PM)Virgo Supercluster Wrote:  Naturalist Joe Hutto lives in Wyoming and has, over the past seven years, gained the trust of a herd of mule deer. Unlike white tailed deer who have been around
Have you guys seen the full documentary or read the book? I'd be curious to hear what you all think!
The documentary is recording on my tv right now, and I can't WAIT to watch this show. Joe did a previous nature show on My Life as a Turkey, about him hand-raising a tribe of baby turkeys that imprinted on him. It is one of the most fascinating and meaningful nature shows I've seen. I hold high hopes for the deer show!
[+] 2 users Like Karyn Wolfe's post
17-04-2014, 07:19 AM
It was on Nature on my local PBS station last night. Great show.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-04-2014, 06:15 AM
I've been a city guy a lot of my life. I grew up in Philly and the Philadelphia area. I went to college in New York City.

One of the things that atheism has stirred up in me is a profound respect for our natural world. However, unlike many of our true believing brothers and sisters, I don't care for the idea that a supernatural being created the world for our use (and sometimes our abuse).

I remember being a teenager and going to a friend's house for dinner. I told his parents that I thought that vegetarians were cool. His mom lectured me the book of Genesis, explaining that the only reason animals existed was because god loved us so much that he wanted to feed us.

I probably face-palmed so hard that you could've heard the slap next door.

"The truth must dazzle gradually / or every man be blind." Emily Dickinson
[+] 1 user Likes Virgo Supercluster's post
22-05-2014, 09:15 AM
I've seen Joe Hutto's wild turkey show twice, and the mule deer show once. I was greatly moved by both, as I am crazy in love with animals. I hope I don't offend site members, but I am not an atheist. My church believes (as I do) that we (and animals) are all evolving, and that as we reach benchmarks on our path, we graduate to the next level, and to the next form. It is called "eternal progression." Our Benefactors, who traveled the same paths before us, determine (with our input and agreement) what and when our next life will entail in order to maximize and expedite our progression. Animals have a bright future because they are future humans. During the "millenium" the earth will be transformed into a paradise where there will be no death, predation, pain or sickness, and the lion will lie down with the lamb. I can't wait. In the meantime, people like Joe Hutto are helping mankind to evolve. We are learning to appreciate, assist, and love the lesser evolved beings.
22-05-2014, 11:04 AM
(22-05-2014 09:15 AM)truthseeker! Wrote:  I've seen Joe Hutto's wild turkey show twice, and the mule deer show once. I was greatly moved by both, as I am crazy in love with animals. I hope I don't offend site members, but I am not an atheist. My church believes (as I do) that we (and animals) are all evolving, and that as we reach benchmarks on our path, we graduate to the next level, and to the next form. It is called "eternal progression." Our Benefactors, who traveled the same paths before us, determine (with our input and agreement) what and when our next life will entail in order to maximize and expedite our progression. Animals have a bright future because they are future humans. During the "millenium" the earth will be transformed into a paradise where there will be no death, predation, pain or sickness, and the lion will lie down with the lamb. I can't wait. In the meantime, people like Joe Hutto are helping mankind to evolve. We are learning to appreciate, assist, and love the lesser evolved beings.

That makes your user name rather ironic. Drinking Beverage

22-05-2014, 11:34 AM
(22-05-2014 11:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 09:15 AM)truthseeker! Wrote:  I've seen Joe Hutto's wild turkey show twice, and the mule deer show once. I was greatly moved by both, as I am crazy in love with animals. I hope I don't offend site members, but I am not an atheist. My church believes (as I do) that we (and animals) are all evolving, and that as we reach benchmarks on our path, we graduate to the next level, and to the next form. It is called "eternal progression." Our Benefactors, who traveled the same paths before us, determine (with our input and agreement) what and when our next life will entail in order to maximize and expedite our progression. Animals have a bright future because they are future humans. During the "millenium" the earth will be transformed into a paradise where there will be no death, predation, pain or sickness, and the lion will lie down with the lamb. I can't wait. In the meantime, people like Joe Hutto are helping mankind to evolve. We are learning to appreciate, assist, and love the lesser evolved beings.

That makes your user name rather ironic. Drinking Beverage

Not really has anyone with the word Truth in their Username ever not been a crazy theist troll?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
22-05-2014, 11:41 AM
(22-05-2014 11:34 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 11:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  That makes your user name rather ironic. Drinking Beverage

Not really has anyone with the word Truth in their Username ever not been a crazy theist troll?

I searched the member list and took a small sample. I found 'PursuingTruth' was not, but I think you may have a good rule of thumb. Thumbsup