Joel Osteen, that selfish bastard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2017, 09:38 AM
RE: Joel Osteen, that selfish bastard
(31-08-2017 09:31 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  
(31-08-2017 09:27 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  People only give him shit because he's selfish or for their own personally selfish reasons? Might want to make that clear.

Not sure what is hard to grasp here. A religious man, (who's religion does have things to say about helping thine fellow man), who owns a GIANT FUCKING CHURCH won't open it to people who are literally dying during a hurricane?

But it's not about that, is it? No, it's not about that. At all. It's all about you, and how you feel things should have gone. It has nothing to do with morality, since you don't even know what morality is.
It's about being a good person, about actually helping people and expecting nothing in return. Yes that how I feel about it, but does that make me selfish? No, it makes me a human being who cares if people die in a natural disaster or not.

On another note, what honestly is your fucking problem here Angra? You seem to have one on you here, and I'm not entirely sure if you're having an episode or just being a total dick on purpose. If it's the latter, that's fine, but just let us know because it's just getting weird in all honesty.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
31-08-2017, 09:49 AM
(31-08-2017 09:33 AM)mordant Wrote:  Here is a fairly-written article which appears to contain the known facts up to this point in time:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lauraturner/peo...oel-osteen

I think it's also accurate in pointing out that Osteen gets lots of criticism both from fellow evangelicals and from former / non-evangelicals. It is not, as Angra suggests, totally explainable as jealousy or sour grapes; it's also resentment for evangelical support of Trump and Trumpian policies and practices, push-back about Prosperity Gospel teachings and televangelism, and other factors. I don't know what Osteen's position even is on political matters, if any, so am not sure he should be taking the guilt-by-association heat for that necessarily. As before -- I await more facts.

Good article.

Quote: "We exercise the authority of Christ over Harvey and tell you Harvey to leave Houston this instant never ever to return," one commenter wrote at 11:18 a.m. Harvey remained.

Unfortunately, the idea that either Christ has doesn't have authority or maybe just that they don't get to speak in his name won't occur to them. I'd settle for the latter.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
31-08-2017, 09:50 AM
(31-08-2017 09:38 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(31-08-2017 09:31 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  But it's not about that, is it? No, it's not about that. At all. It's all about you, and how you feel things should have gone. It has nothing to do with morality, since you don't even know what morality is.
It's about being a good person, about actually helping people and expecting nothing in return. Yes that how I feel about it, but does that make me selfish? No, it makes me a human being who cares if people die in a natural disaster or not.

On another note, what honestly is your fucking problem here Angra? You seem to have one on you here, and I'm not entirely sure if you're having an episode or just being a total dick on purpose. If it's the latter, that's fine, but just let us know because it's just getting weird in all honesty.

He's deliberately baiting you, like he tried to do with me and the animal / human intelligence thing, only I didn't react how he was expecting. He's definitely extra douchey today wether through mental illness or the compulsive need to troll is uncertain, its possibly both.
[+] 4 users Like adey67's post
31-08-2017, 09:52 AM
Meh, I'm not annoyed or anything. I'm actually enjoyed flexing my "debate" muscles a bit, just wondering what the heck is wrong with this guy generally.

Like if he's a troll, cool he's just doing his thing for reasons nobody will ever understand. If not, maybe he's having some sort of issue that he'd liek to talk about. I've offered to hear him out if so, but it's most likely the former of the various reasons why.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
31-08-2017, 09:56 AM
(31-08-2017 07:40 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  
(31-08-2017 07:39 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I wouldn't know about him I don't know him, I was more referring to the description of the displaced persons of Texas as filthy beggars.

I really don't care about humans at all. They all suck (which is blatantly obvious, for those with eyes to see)

There are better options than a butterknife you know. Drinking Beverage

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
31-08-2017, 10:01 AM
(31-08-2017 09:18 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  People only give him shit for selfish reasons. It's disgusting to witness.

Please stop copy+pasting your own personal flaws on to everyone else.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
31-08-2017, 10:02 AM
(31-08-2017 09:52 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Meh, I'm not annoyed or anything. I'm actually enjoyed flexing my "debate" muscles a bit, just wondering what the heck is wrong with this guy generally.

Like if he's a troll, cool he's just doing his thing for reasons nobody will ever understand. If not, maybe he's having some sort of issue that he'd liek to talk about. I've offered to hear him out if so, but it's most likely the former of the various reasons why.
I too enjoy flexing debate muscles and the good thing about Angra SV and Theophilus are that they're not too bright so for a beginner like me they're perfect.
[+] 4 users Like adey67's post
31-08-2017, 01:40 PM
(31-08-2017 10:02 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I too enjoy flexing debate muscles and the good thing about Angra SV and Theophilus are that they're not too bright so for a beginner like me they're perfect.

This Angra seems to be light work for anyone at any level. You won the match with your first reply, "Troll much?" Game over.

[+] 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
31-08-2017, 01:48 PM
I was critical of Osteen at first too, and am trying to see all sides of it. I know as the shitstorm has erupted, he has mentioned staffing, which is a legit issue. You can't just open the doors of a building that used to be an NBA arena and say "come on in, whatever!" Yes, local churches and mosques can do that, but you can more easily identify and stop an individual who is up to no good in a small building, "security, check on that guy over there!" But in a mega-building...keep in mind any and all volunteers would be dealing with the same hurricane mobility/survivability/communication issues everyone else in Houston is dealing with, it's not like there was a ready made staff of 300 volunteers ready to process incoming refugees.

His mistake, if he isn't the shitbag I suspect he is, is in not properly communicating to not only his sheeple but the people of Houston. Like it or not, he is a "community leader." He should have thought ahead, offered the building ahead of time to first responders and such to use as a resource, and then with tweets or whatever kept an eye on things and been ready to immediately say "doors open, come on in." But he seems to think it was enough to just pray the storm away and save the carpets.

[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
31-08-2017, 01:56 PM
(31-08-2017 08:18 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  I saw a segment about Jim McIngvale on the news last night. He said he was no hero, but I would say otherwise. He's making a big sacrifice, since this is keeping him from any kind of normal business and using up his stock of new matresses. I hope he can get a good tax write-off for his losses, and that people will give him lots of their business when the emergency is over. There really are good people in the world, and he's what they look like. Yes
Agreed on all counts there. Smile I'd not fully considered the mattresses until reading your post too, it's not like they can be reused, so when everyone's rebuilding and buying afterward, he's losing his stock and may not have it replaced in time, to help others. Even if he doesn't reap any financial rewards in the near future, hopefully he will over time, and if not, at least he's a good person!

(31-08-2017 09:33 AM)mordant Wrote:  Here is a fairly-written article which appears to contain the known facts up to this point in time:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lauraturner/peo...oel-osteen

I think it's also accurate in pointing out that Osteen gets lots of criticism both from fellow evangelicals and from former / non-evangelicals. It is not, as Angra suggests, totally explainable as jealousy or sour grapes; it's also resentment for evangelical support of Trump and Trumpian policies and practices, push-back about Prosperity Gospel teachings and televangelism, and other factors. I don't know what Osteen's position even is on political matters, if any, so am not sure he should be taking the guilt-by-association heat for that necessarily. As before -- I await more facts.

A fairly balanced piece there with a lot of nuance. That said, I'll admit to having issues with him prior to this; but as for his position on political matters, if it's anything like his theology, he probably doesn't know that either. Wink

Need to think of a witty signature.