John Calvin

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2013, 02:38 PM
John Calvin
Saw this over at coursera and thought of a certain forum member. Big Grin

Calvin - History and receipt of a reform

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-10-2013, 02:54 PM
RE: John Calvin
And every time I hear Calvinism, I think William Cowper...

The scariest thing is, there was a (bleak) point in my life, when I knew exactly how he felt... The most wonderful thing however, is that I didn't fight it as vehemently as he did (not much of a fighter, me... not when it comes to lost causes at least) and in time managed to shake the whole insane thing off. Still shudder occasionally when I remember that mindset.

"His whole life was a long sadness...Despair grew upon him...and he came to the settled opinion that he was a doomed, damned man, one who had committed an irreparable sin, and for whom there was no redemption forevermore...The last five years of his life were passed in perpetual gloom. During these five years he is said never to have smiled."

However, he had some great poems. And of course, there's this:

"Knowledge is proud that he has learned so much;
Wisdom is humble that he knows no more."

Such a pity he had to suffer so much for the same reason countless have. And continue to. Religion. Sad

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
28-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Yes, indeed.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
28-10-2013, 03:16 PM
In his treatise, Response to Questions and Objections of a Certain Jew Calvin argued that Jews misread their own scriptures because he said, they missed the unity of the Old and New Testaments.

What a dick. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
29-10-2013, 07:06 AM
(28-10-2013 03:16 PM)kim Wrote:  In his treatise, Response to Questions and Objections of a Certain Jew Calvin argued that Jews misread their own scriptures because he said, they missed the unity of the Old and New Testaments.

What a dick. Dodgy

He's also missing the point. Idiot might have been a better word.

Interestingly, I totally get why he said that, though. It wasn't until I stopped being Christian before I realized that the OT doesn't actually talk about heaven and hell. I was always told "life and death" meant eternal life and death, but it doesn't actually say that. Back in the OT, there were not two afterlives. Similarly, the serpent in the Garden of Eden is retroactively assumed to be Satan. Back in the OT, there was no concept of an evil Satan. Christians frequently read the NT backward into the OT to get it to make sense.

So, of course a non-Christian would approach the OT different from a Christian. They aren't burdened with all of those apologetics and need to reconcile the differences.
29-10-2013, 09:03 AM
Yabut my point is, if I wrote a book and went on a talk show to discuss and what the book is about, while the host insists I don't know what I'm talking about... I'ma tell the whole world the talk show host is a complete dick. Shy

From a personal point of view - never having been sucked into any kind of belief - I look at them as two very separate books, espousing very different ideas of belief.

Frankly, if there had never been those second (or is it closer to 10?) rewrite(s), no messiah action figure marketed and no fan base cultivated, everything would have been fairly fan-fucking-tastic.

The popularity of the first book might have died out or at least stayed in the background of a normal, rational world. Kind of like cookbooks - there are some famous ones that everyone knows and some live their lives by them, but they are just books.

When was the last time someone was tortured and then burned alive because they refused to make pumpkin pie in favor of making their own traditional figgie walnut monkey face cookies? Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
29-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Quote:Yet consider now, whether women are not quite past sense and reason, when they want to rule over men.
John Calvin

Fucking misogynist.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
29-10-2013, 09:41 AM
(28-10-2013 02:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Saw this over at coursera and thought of a certain forum member. Big Grin

Dodgy

I don't French.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
29-10-2013, 09:47 AM
(29-10-2013 09:41 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 02:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Saw this over at coursera and thought of a certain forum member. Big Grin

Dodgy

I don't French.

Well for QC's sake I hope you at least Australian.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
29-10-2013, 09:50 AM
(29-10-2013 09:41 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Dodgy

I don't French.

Scroll down - I think there is english at the bottom.