John Calvin

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2013, 11:04 AM
RE: John Calvin
(29-10-2013 09:41 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I don't French.

You don't know what you are missing!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
29-10-2013, 08:36 PM
One of the points I raised in my book, was how Calvin referred to the creation story as divine "baby talk," and yet some Calvinist denominations (evangelical Protestants) ignore their founding theologians own theology in favour of their own literal interpretations of Genesis. Face-palm.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-10-2013, 09:59 PM
It's a tall order to attempt to systematize a collection of books as diverse and nonsensical as the Bible. As a Christian I plowed through Calvin's Institutes, and as far as theology goes it is an impressive work intellectually. Calvinists are usually educated, somewhat dispassionate Christians who are drawn to systematics.

It's why Calvinism is so often a gateway to atheism. Unlike most run of the mill evangelicals, Calvinists at least attempt to apply logic and reason to their beliefs. But the result is an extremely dismal view of humanity where all are deserving of eternal damnation, and God predestines the lucky few who will sit on the walls of the New Jerusalem eating popcorn and watching the fireworks.
30-10-2013, 05:21 PM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2013 05:25 PM by GirlyMan.)
(29-10-2013 09:41 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 02:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Saw this over at coursera and thought of a certain forum member. Big Grin

Calvin - History and receipt of a reform

Dodgy

I don't French.

Its got English subtitles and the quizzes are in both languages silly. Girly no habla Francais either.

I signed up for it and have gone through the first 5 lectures. Dude certainly was an interesting cat with one hell of a philosophical mind and rhetorical aptitude. And he started out as a humanist before he became, you know, his own personal Jesus and whatnot. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.