26-02-2014, 10:30 PM
John Lennox is a stupid bigot
What do you think after watching this?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2014, 10:50 PM
RE: John Lennox is a stupid bigot
Atheists will try to improve life on earth

and not take the religious route of ignoring suffering on earth, and wait for heaven for all their rewards and justice.

And that's why religion is good, and atheism is bad.

That's a pretty evil philosophy.
[+] 2 users Like PoolBoyG's post
26-02-2014, 11:02 PM
It's funny that lennox constantly complains about millions of people who will never get justice and that children in africa need help and salvation. Children need salvation from what?

As for justice why does god need to give justice to people only AFTER they die? LOL?
26-02-2014, 11:07 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2014 12:25 AM by CleverUsername.)
I always need to arrange my thoughts into a list for these things.

- Atheism isn't helping get rid of the suffering. The ornately decorated, huge churches with youth rooms with flat screen TVs totally are, though.

- I like this train of logic. Next time I'm in a bind, I'll start hoping my fairy godmother shows up. Cause it's better to belief in bull crap and have hope, than be realistic and not.

- So many arguments boil down to "If there's no God, the universe isn't a happy land full of puppies and rainbows" and it's just so stupid.

- "We have to ask ourselves what this means." It means god has a complexity addiction and/or is an idiot. And a jerk.

- "God has not remained distant from our human suffering, but has become part of it." He was in agony for one day two thousand years ago. Never has to feel pain again for the rest of time. Totally one with us.

- "Do we have enough reason to trust God?" Well, let's see, he's racist, sexist, homophobic, genocidal, contradicts himself, demands people sacrifice their own children, blames people for things he made them do/that were the logical thing to do and has no idea what being omnipotent means despite being omnipotent. No, I don't think we do.

- Because throwing someone into a lake of fire to burn for all eternity for saying "God dammit!" is totally judging people "fairly"!

- "It leaves the suffering." As does your's, but at least on our side we don't pat ourselves on the back for wishing (sorry, "praying") the suffering went away.

- "The atheists will say 'Well the universe is just like that, it's bleak'. But then I would want to come back, on the fact that, where does the evidence point?" Hundreds die every day, many of them children, natural disasters that wipe out thousands in a day are relatively regular occurrences, we are currently a tiny dot in a proverbial ocean of billions of galaxies, etc. I think we win.

- It's cute how he says there's more evidence for his side then provides none.

Not touching the longer video.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
27-02-2014, 12:23 AM
So atheism solves the logical, reasonable problem of the question, but doesn't provide a comfortable enough answer to how we get on with solving the problem of suffering.

I've got an idea. Let's rid ourselves of the one pervasive line of thought that causes our species so much division, war, torture, bigotry, hatred and contempt of one another so much more than any other in the history of mankind.......religion.

Can we not just get on with our existence as we are, rather than what we so naively want us to be?

Suffering will happen, the very obvious observation of the universe confirms this. We can do so much better than wishful thinking to better our circumstances.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
27-02-2014, 03:56 AM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2014 05:43 AM by DLJ.)
He hasn't aged well.

I blame Yoko.

Drinking Beverage

EDIT: I've now watched both vids.

What drops my jaw is not Lennox's assertions but the confidence with which he makes those assertions ... which seem to be based entirely on his own personal wishes for how he wants things to be.

I guess one has to have that brashness in order to sell books.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
27-02-2014, 04:30 AM
Dont know who he is.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
27-02-2014, 10:15 AM
(26-02-2014 11:02 PM)donotwant Wrote:  As for justice why does god need to give justice to people only AFTER they die? LOL?

Because otherwise it's super-easy to prove that justice isn't happening. The only religions that survive are the nonfalsifiable ones. That's why Judaism morphed from believing that the righteous prosper and the wicked are punished/killed to believing that the righteous get rewarded and the wicked get punished after death, when we can't observe it happening.
01-03-2014, 07:42 AM
This is a great one for fallacy spotters.

Lennox disappears down cul-de-sacs to avoid Dawkins' questions and seems to be unaware of repeatedly playing the god of the gaps card.

His main argument seems to be incredulity and when this is pointed out goes for "I know I am, what are you?"

I liked the conversation rather than formal debate format.