John McCain and the end of the road?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2017, 01:24 AM
John McCain and the end of the road?
John McCain has been diagnosed with brain cancer which might explain some of his recent lapse. He as left Washington to be treated and while many seems optimistic about his chance of recovery, I personnaly doubt he will stay in office much longer. Should he survive, it could very well lead to his retirement. McCain is a figurehead in the US Senate and while its almost certain that he would be replaced by another Republican senator, he is amongst those who keep the most distence from the Trump administration. How do you think this news will affect the political climate in Washington?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/19/us/po...ancer.html

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
20-07-2017, 04:41 AM
RE: John McCain and the end of the road?
(20-07-2017 01:24 AM)epronovost Wrote:  John McCain has been diagnosed with brain cancer which might explain some of his recent lapse. He as left Washington to be treated and while many seems optimistic about his chance of recovery, I personnaly doubt he will stay in office much longer. Should he survive, it could very well lead to his retirement. McCain is a figurehead in the US Senate and while its almost certain that he would be replaced by another Republican senator, he is amongst those who keep the most distence from the Trump administration. How do you think this news will affect the political climate in Washington?

Glioblastoma (the cancer he has) is one of the worst possible things one can get. I've never seen someone be cured of it, (I suppose it must happen), but his absence during his upcoming treatments will be important to the numbers. He won't be replaced for a while.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
20-07-2017, 05:35 AM
I feel bad for the man.

But, his absence does make gridlock more likely.

And if they're not doing anything for you, they can't do anything to you.

So that's not all bad.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
20-07-2017, 06:22 AM
(20-07-2017 04:41 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(20-07-2017 01:24 AM)epronovost Wrote:  John McCain has been diagnosed with brain cancer which might explain some of his recent lapse. He as left Washington to be treated and while many seems optimistic about his chance of recovery, I personnaly doubt he will stay in office much longer. Should he survive, it could very well lead to his retirement. McCain is a figurehead in the US Senate and while its almost certain that he would be replaced by another Republican senator, he is amongst those who keep the most distence from the Trump administration. How do you think this news will affect the political climate in Washington?

Glioblastoma (the cancer he has) is one of the worst possible things one can get. I've never seen someone be cured of it, (I suppose it must happen), but his absence during his upcoming treatments will be important to the numbers. He won't be replaced for a while.

My first husband died of this. In his late twenties. Sadcryface

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
20-07-2017, 07:59 AM
I don't know the states specific policy if they can pull a special election out quickly if he resigned or need a certain time to hold out til.

But it also reflects on the mix of confusion and concern universally had when McCain rambled during the Comney hearing in ways that seemed lost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
20-07-2017, 08:02 AM
(20-07-2017 04:41 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Glioblastoma (the cancer he has) is one of the worst possible things one can get.

I heard on the news that the average lifespan after diagnosis is 14 months. Of course, McCain may have access to better healthcare than most Americans.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
20-07-2017, 08:22 AM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2017 08:26 AM by Rockblossom.)
(20-07-2017 07:59 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I don't know the states specific policy if they can pull a special election out quickly if he resigned or need a certain time to hold out til.

Senator McCain was just reelected to a 6-year term that runs 2017 -2022. If he leaves office in the next year, the Governor of Arizona will appoint an interim to fill the seat until the next general election in the state - which is November 2018. Whoever wins the election will serve the remaining 4 years of Senator McCain's term, with the next election for the office being in November of 2022. In Arizona, the interim replacement must be of the same party as the person who was elected, but the general election for someone to serve out the remainder of the Senator's term can be won by any party. (Is that sufficiently confusing?)
[+] 4 users Like Rockblossom's post
20-07-2017, 08:40 AM
At nearly 81 years of age, and regardless of how optimistic he is personally, a glioblastoma is basically a death sentence. The median survival rate is 14.6 months, but is less with increasing age.

I really feel for McCain, as he seems to be a genuine sort of guy who's always tried to be straightforward with the electorate, but I know some of intemperate comments have caused a bit of grief...

"Do you know why Chelsea Clinton is so ugly? —Because Janet Reno is her father" was a classic example. Which I thought was both clever and very funny.

McCain says he is "just a Christian" who's been attending the North Phoenix Baptist Church in Arizona with his family for "many years". He was raised in the Episcopalian Church, and prays every day, asking for guidance and strength. [March 17, 2015]

And I have to say that he would've made a far better POTUS—from 2008—than the current intellectually-challenged buffoon, despite his increasing conservatism.

Good luck matey, you deserve it. Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 5 users Like SYZ's post
20-07-2017, 08:44 AM
Jesus that sucks. I like John McCain, he's got giant basketball sized balls and he's not afraid to swing them around.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
20-07-2017, 08:45 AM
Sad to hear that. The prognosis does not look good. Hopefully he cannot be counted upon to screw up Obamacare. Even if he could vote, he would find it to be an undignified thing I imagine.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post