John McCain and the end of the road?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2017, 08:02 PM
RE: John McCain and the end of the road?
(20-07-2017 10:10 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  John McCain is my senator. A great man who endured far more than any man should have. You can disagree with his politics, even I find myself questioning him lately, but his service to America in the war and in politics should not be ignored.

That being said, he should retire immediately. The ultra conservative governor of Arizona should then appoint an ultra conservative to replace McCain in the senate.

"He's a great American and his sickness is tragic but hopefully we can exploit it for political gain!"
[Image: raw]

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
25-07-2017, 08:34 PM
(20-07-2017 05:35 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I feel bad for the man.

But, his absence does make gridlock more likely.

And if they're not doing anything for you, they can't do anything to you.

So that's not all bad.....

Well aren't we just the badass. Ooooooh.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
26-07-2017, 12:55 AM
I have a tendency to be very critical of career politicians and even though I don't agree with McCain on the majority of his positions I've always been very kind in my speech about the man for a single reason.
The man goes out fights for his country and endures horrific torture, like a fuckin' boss, comes home and frequently speaks out about the horror and evil of torture and is treated like a hero by the American people. Then in his later years all of a sudden his country turns and goes:
"Oh....we are torturing people I DON'T like now....."
[Image: raw]

I can't speak for the man but were I in his shoes I would want to tombstone piledrive a bitch on the daily for that hypocritical bullshit.

26-07-2017, 02:29 PM
[Image: Capture.jpg]

"Republicans are holding a high-stakes vote on Tuesday to open debate on legislation to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare. They have almost no margin for error, making the presence of the 80-year-old McCain crucial if the vote is to succeed."

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
26-07-2017, 05:19 PM
(20-07-2017 08:40 AM)SYZ Wrote:  And I have to say that he would've made a far better POTUS—from 2008—than the current intellectually-challenged buffoon, despite his increasing conservatism.

Until he nominated Sarah Palin, he had my vote, despite the fact that I didn't agree with all of his policies. The man served his country all his adult life, to his own terrible detriment, and has the spine to go against the political tide.

(20-07-2017 08:40 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Good luck matey, you deserve it. Thumbsup

It is at his age a death sentence, I think. I hope he manages his fight with grace, dignity, and humor, as well as luck.
26-07-2017, 05:30 PM
(26-07-2017 02:29 PM)Vera Wrote:  [Image: Capture.jpg]

"Republicans are holding a high-stakes vote on Tuesday to open debate on legislation to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare. They have almost no margin for error, making the presence of the 80-year-old McCain crucial if the vote is to succeed."

I don't mind the idea of debating it openly instead of putting it to and up-or-down vote. Republican Congresscritters are already feeling pressure from constituents about what they're about to lose. A debate will show those same constituents exactly what they will not gain, as well. That will serve to divide the Republicans even further on this issue and probably leave ACA in place.

The Republicans are already backpedaling, seeking only to trim some of ACA's measures and not repeal it. And even those repeals should be aired out for the reasons I've laid out above.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
26-07-2017, 05:39 PM
(26-07-2017 05:19 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(20-07-2017 08:40 AM)SYZ Wrote:  And I have to say that he would've made a far better POTUS—from 2008—than the current intellectually-challenged buffoon, despite his increasing conservatism.

Until he nominated Sarah Palin, he had my vote, despite the fact that I didn't agree with all of his policies. The man served his country all his adult life, to his own terrible detriment, and has the spine to go against the political tide.

(20-07-2017 08:40 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Good luck matey, you deserve it. Thumbsup

It is at his age a death sentence, I think. I hope he manages his fight with grace, dignity, and humor, as well as luck.

The kind of cancer he has is a death sentence at any age. I lost my first husband to it decades ago and nothing has changed in ways of treatment. It's just palliative meds, and chemo if he wants to have more days but miserable ones. If I had his kind of death sentence, I wouldn't waste any time in trying to do whatever was most important or fun to me. It's now or never.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
26-07-2017, 05:41 PM (This post was last modified: 26-07-2017 06:00 PM by GirlyMan.)
(26-07-2017 05:30 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(26-07-2017 02:29 PM)Vera Wrote:  [Image: Capture.jpg]

I don't mind the idea of debating it openly instead of putting it to and up-or-down vote. Republican Congresscritters are already feeling pressure from constituents about what they're about to lose. A debate will show those same constituents exactly what they will not gain, as well. That will serve to divide the Republicans even further on this issue and probably leave ACA in place.

The Republicans are already backpedaling, seeking only to trim some of ACA's measures and not repeal it. And even those repeals should be aired out for the reasons I've laid out above.

I told my kid complaining about McCain that my kid didn't understand McCain's actions, he voted to proceed with debate so he could vote against the proposed plans. He rather emphatically said as much. Think what McConnell and the rest of the mature folk are just trying to do is to get the idiot faction of their party to understand that substantial Obamacare changes ain't happening without the Democrats so let's get it over with and admit defeat and bail so we can move on to other legislative agenda items we might be able to get something done on. Tax reform, infrastructure, kicking Putin in the balls in front of the world ...

#sigh
26-07-2017, 05:57 PM
(26-07-2017 05:19 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Until he nominated Sarah Palin, he had my vote, despite the fact that I didn't agree with all of his policies. The man served his country all his adult life, to his own terrible detriment, and has the spine to go against the political tide.

Honestly, I totally get why he nominated Palin at the time it seemed like a brilliant move. She had a nearly 80% approval rating with a +40 in her state of Alaska which is like...nearly unheard of. Had a (bogus imo) reputation of tackling government waste and corruption and even being willing to reach across party lines with Democrats to do so. Like it or hate it nominating a woman for VP was seen as a good political move.

I totally get why he did it. It's just a shame she turned out to be a bit.....unprepared for the national spot light to put it kindly lol

[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post