John Murray Spear's Mechanical Messiah

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2018, 02:08 PM
John Murray Spear's Mechanical Messiah
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Murray_Spear

In 1852, Spear broke all ties with the Universalist church, and instead turned to Spiritualism. He claimed that he was in contact with ‘‘The Association of Electrizers’’, a group of spirits including Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, John Quincy Adams, and Benjamin Rush, as well as Spear’s namesake John Murray. Evidence indicates he occasionally faked signatures as a way to gain authority from a "guide from the past;" however, these signatures were dated beyond the lifetimes of the deceased.[3] Spear believed that the purpose of this group was to bring new technology to mankind, so that greater levels of personal and spiritual freedom could be achieved.[1] The following year, Spear and a handful of followers retreated to a wooden shed at the top of High Rock hill in Lynn, Massachusetts, where they set to work creating the ‘‘New Motive Power’’, a mechanical Messiah which was intended to herald a new era of Utopia. The New Motive Power was constructed of copper, zinc and magnets, all carefully machined, as well as a dining room table. At the end of nine months, Spear and the ‘‘New Mary’’, an unnamed woman, ritualistically birthed the contraption in an attempt to give it life.[citation needed] Unfortunately for Spear, this failed to have the desired effect, and the machine was later dismantled.

Snort, Giggle! I love this. It combines great weirdness with a special sort of mental illness.

“It is impossible for someone to lie unless he thinks he knows the truth. Producing bullshit requires no such conviction.”
― Harry G. Frankfurt, On Bullshit

Cheerful Charlie
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
10-07-2018, 02:12 PM
RE: John Murray Spear's Mechanical Messiah
I would have loved to see a picture of it! Big Grin

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
10-07-2018, 03:15 PM
RE: John Murray Spear's Mechanical Messiah
I found this drawing of it online--don't know if it's authentic, but it looks kind of cool:

[Image: GodMachine.jpg]

I wonder if Spear and his experiments helped inspire this poem:

Lynn, Lynn the city of sin
You never come out, the way you came in
You ask for water, but they give you gin
The girls say no, yet they always give in
If you're not bad, they won’t let you in
It’s the damndest city I’ve ever lived in
Lynn, Lynn the city of sin
You never come out, the way you came in.

(I used to live just a few miles from Lynn.)

fudge is the only divinity that matters
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
10-07-2018, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2018 04:38 PM by Cheerful Charlie.)
Photo RE: John Murray Spear's Mechanical Messiah
https://www.google.com/search?q=mechanic...CrXZAxiyM:

“It is impossible for someone to lie unless he thinks he knows the truth. Producing bullshit requires no such conviction.”
― Harry G. Frankfurt, On Bullshit

Cheerful Charlie