John Oliver- Geography Lessons
This guy kills me.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
07-09-2015, 10:09 AM
RE: John Oliver- Geography Lessons
Love that guy. Why only 30 minutes week? Why? Weeping

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
07-09-2015, 10:59 AM
As someone who actually knows what a map looks like these always seem like pretty bland non-jokes. Funny in theory, I guess.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
07-09-2015, 02:53 PM
I fully admit, I'm terrible at geography. Nebraska, Wisconsin....whatever....some cold state in the upper middle of the US. Bolivia....it's somewhere in South America.

If a country is in the news a lot I take the time to find out where it is on the map, though. So there's that.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
07-09-2015, 06:47 PM
(07-09-2015 10:09 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Love that guy. Why only 30 minutes week? Why? Weeping

He's got a smart agent!

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
07-09-2015, 09:14 PM
Last two weeks I've been watching this guy when I have my lunch and stuff. Watched nearly all his videos now.
He's a ingenious. He's like a funny version of myself, his opinions on stuff are dead on. I think there was only thing I had a minor disagreement with. Something business related iirc. Also is opening my eyes to just how exactly retarded America is. I mean obviously I knew you guys were fucking stupid but.. damn.. you fucked up.

#johnoliverpresident2016

[Image: oscar.png]
07-09-2015, 09:18 PM
Regarding my geography, I like to think my geography is rather good. I think the only thing that would trip me up is a few placements regarding some African countries. Though I could get the right area.

It bothers me when people are really retarded at geography. One of my supervisors at work continues to talk about those palm tree islands that are "in Qatar and how Qatar is the capital of Dubai."
I literally facedesk every time.

[Image: oscar.png]
07-09-2015, 09:48 PM
I'm lousy at geography. I do know a few states and a few countries. I used to live in North Dakota. Most Americans don't know where North Dakota is, but when I visited Cuba, everybody who asked me where I lived (and nearly everyone I met asked) knew where it is. ("Al centro, pegado a Canada." -- "In the middle, touching Canada.") Cubans know U.S. geography better than Americans do. I know a woman who has a college degree in Geography. Turns out when you study geography, you're not just learning the place names on a map. You learn that, and a bit of geology, and a bit of history, and a bit of cultural anthropology, and kind of a bit of everything.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
08-09-2015, 02:13 AM
(07-09-2015 09:48 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  I'm lousy at geography. I do know a few states and a few countries. I used to live in North Dakota. Most Americans don't know where North Dakota is, but when I visited Cuba, everybody who asked me where I lived (and nearly everyone I met asked) knew where it is. ("Al centro, pegado a Canada." -- "In the middle, touching Canada.") Cubans know U.S. geography better than Americans do. I know a woman who has a college degree in Geography. Turns out when you study geography, you're not just learning the place names on a map. You learn that, and a bit of geology, and a bit of history, and a bit of cultural anthropology, and kind of a bit of everything.

A few weeks ago my sister and a friend of hers were telling me about a person they work with who does claims work across the north of the US said, She always gets the two Dakota's mixed up and isn't sure which one is which. And she was serious about that, I'm not sure how someone can struggle geographically that much. The friend asked her if she has the same issue with the Carolinas.

I recall in schoolin days the only areas I really struggled with were Western Africa especially the smaller countries along the ocean and northern south america.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson