John Oliver on the misreporting of science by the media

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2016, 10:57 AM
John Oliver on the misreporting of science by the media
I love John Oliver, and he is spot on with this. Science is more complex than is widely reported in the media, and he does a great job of breaking down how and why it happens.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
09-05-2016, 01:03 PM
RE: John Oliver on the misreporting of science by the media
Not sure whether I want to laugh or cry.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
09-05-2016, 01:44 PM
This guy is fucking awesome! Bowing

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
09-05-2016, 01:47 PM
The sad thing is that 70% of atheists I know are scientifically illiterate as well, despite how much they claim to love it.

I'm serious.

The biggest problem is that we all love the experiments where we fly rockets to 50,000 ft or burn a car in half with thermite - Mythbusters type stuff. The reality of science, that is the real grunt work which yields the results, is really tedious and boring. Nobody wants to watch a graduate lab rat spend 8-10 hours a day in a university lab somewhere meticulously monitoring an experiment on, say, frost propagation and collect the data, crunch the results using mathematics and statistics, charts, etc to derive a conclusion from over the course of months. And then there's the peer review and publication process. And the fact that 95% of all scientific publications are eventually proven false.

This will not appeal to a Millennial with the attention span of a meth addled ferret and a need to be constantly entertained.

But stories on Megalodons, or wine reducing the risk of cancer or Yoga eliminating depression in lab mice will move copy and fill air time.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 3 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
09-05-2016, 02:04 PM
I talked about this segment today with the wife and actually depressed myself in the process. Imagine if the United States would tax churches and use those proceeds to fund scientific research. We would cure most diseases and solve climate change. It is so sad that there is no reward or money allotted for the "fact-checker" in science, a truly thankless job but something we all depend on when we ask, "Well, is it peer-reviewed?" What good are discoveries if we can't pay others in the field to verify and falsify them? Ugh.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
10-05-2016, 08:04 AM
(09-05-2016 01:47 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  The sad thing is that 70% of atheists I know are scientifically illiterate as well, despite how much they claim to love it.

I'm serious.

The biggest problem is that we all love the experiments where we fly rockets to 50,000 ft or burn a car in half with thermite - Mythbusters type stuff. The reality of science, that is the real grunt work which yields the results, is really tedious and boring. Nobody wants to watch a graduate lab rat spend 8-10 hours a day in a university lab somewhere meticulously monitoring an experiment on, say, frost propagation and collect the data, crunch the results using mathematics and statistics, charts, etc to derive a conclusion from over the course of months. And then there's the peer review and publication process. And the fact that 95% of all scientific publications are eventually proven false.

This will not appeal to a Millennial with the attention span of a meth addled ferret and a need to be constantly entertained.

But stories on Megalodons, or wine reducing the risk of cancer or Yoga eliminating depression in lab mice will move copy and fill air time.

People are abysmal at science, probably because we spend more time teaching people the history of science instead of how to do science and we hardly teach people how to read or write science at all (or not at all at the K-12 level).

[attachment=3392]
From here: http://explosm.net/comics/3557/

I have to be conscience when I read articles related to science but not related to my background of study. I know fuck-all about cancer or medical research, but it's pretty easy for me to figure out that the cancer cure-all that the media blurts out is bullshit. And I know to not overanalyze the correlation vs causation (chocolate is good for your baby! Or...it isn't bad or it's neutral or the people we studied who ate a lot of chocolate where already healthier than the other group or etc etc). But it is always tempting to see those headline and want to believe them.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
10-05-2016, 01:39 PM
(09-05-2016 01:47 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  This will not appeal to a Millennial with the attention span of a meth addled ferret and a need to be constantly entertained.

As a meth-addled ferret, I take offense to this patently false generalization of my life choices affecting my attention span. I happen to like reading long, bori... Ooo, shiny gum wrapper!

Sent forth from the icy depths of my soul
[+] 4 users Like Icextentialist's post
11-05-2016, 11:16 AM
I watched this last night with my wife. I was trying not to laugh when he said that cherrypicking isn't science, that's religion (14:38 if interested).

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 4 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
11-05-2016, 11:19 AM
(11-05-2016 11:16 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I watched this last night with my wife. I was trying not to laugh when he said that cherrypicking isn't science, that's religion (14:38 if interested).

I actually laughed out loud. Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
11-05-2016, 12:14 PM