Joining a fraternity that's influenced by Christianity.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2015, 09:59 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2015 10:02 PM by FreeThinker1994.)
Joining a fraternity that's influenced by Christianity.
I have a dilemma.

I am an atheist, obviously.

I have found this amazing fraternity at school. It's currently the only one on campus, other than two other Latino cultural fraternities. Many of my friends are in this fraternity, and I've been meeting a lot of brothers and doing stuff with them this week. There are gay guys, men of color, etc. What I'm saying is, they don't conform to the stereotype, and I'm assured I won't be at all hazed or made to feel lesser as a non-member, I just can't participate in their ritual.

It sounds perfect. Since leaving Church, I've struggled without a group to belong to. It's important for me to socialize in that context, for some reason. They have values that I believe in.

The problem is this. They are loosely based on Christianity (as many fraternities begun in the early 20th century were), however as the brothers I know aren't at all religious, I know it's not a religious group. However, what does make me uneasy are the Bible being open at every meeting with a lamp, starting and ending meetings with prayers, and saying "so help me god" after oaths and affirmations.

Most of the guys I know just say the stuff and don't give any thought to it.

This group seems amazing to be a part of, and I think I can overlook the religious stuff.

Would you be uneasy in this situation? How would you proceed?

They seem just perfect other than this part.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2015, 12:16 AM
RE: Joining a fraternity that's influenced by Christianity.
I would be uneasy with it, myself. But if you are comfy with it, have at it.
08-09-2015, 12:22 AM
They're "not that religious" but open meetings with Bibles and prayers and require you to take oaths with "so help me God"? What kinda oaths anyway? What desperately important things do fraternities get up to that require such things?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
08-09-2015, 06:02 AM
The whole idea of fraternities is to give the joiner "instant lifelong buddies".

And people think only religion promises a bunch of crap.....

You know what you really get?

A whole bunch of new rules to follow.

If you want friends - you gotta do it the hard way - by being one to someone.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 5 users Like onlinebiker's post
08-09-2015, 06:51 AM
Any social group/organization/fraternity will put a leash around your neck and their hand in your wallet. Guaranteed.

If you are having a good time with them without formally joining, why would you bother?

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 4 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
08-09-2015, 07:53 AM
In your shoes, I would join the fraternity.

If they're as liberal with their Christianity as you think they are, then they probably won't care that you're an atheist. -Just be sure to approach this with the mindset that you're in their home, and not the other way around. DO NOT offer your viewpoint on religious matters unless you're invited to do so. Be generous to their viewpoints when the topic comes up and try to steer the conversation away or leave the conversation so as not to offend.

When you've built up enough of a rapport with people, you'll be able to feel out how comfortable everyone is with your views and you'll know better how to handle sticky situations where your views are in conflict with theirs.

Take this approach, and I believe that you will build a foundation of mutual respect even if you can't agree.
08-09-2015, 08:15 AM
My boyfriend was in a Jewish fraternity--as an agnostic borderline atheist. He later became the president of that same fraternity. If they seem opened-minded, you are comfortable with it, there's no hazing, and you want to join--join.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
08-09-2015, 08:22 AM
I'd skip the fraternity and spend my time studying instead. Some people go to college to have parties now that they're away from home and no longer under their parents' thumb. Fraternities are perfect for them. Other people go to college to get an education. Fraternities are a distraction for them. Spend your college time studying. It will do you more good in the long run.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 2 users Like daniel1948's post
08-09-2015, 08:33 AM
(08-09-2015 08:22 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  I'd skip the fraternity and spend my time studying instead. Some people go to college to have parties now that they're away from home and no longer under their parents' thumb. Fraternities are perfect for them. Other people go to college to get an education. Fraternities are a distraction for them. Spend your college time studying. It will do you more good in the long run.

College is also about being social. Even though fraternities do some silly things and party quite a bit--they do provide good networking opportunities later on in life.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
08-09-2015, 06:56 PM
Fraternities are stupid and inane.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post