Joining the crowd

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Joining the crowd
Greetings Everyone,

First post here after being a year long listener to the podcast and deconverting a year ago. I am a 58 year old baptist preachers kid, married to a believer, 3 adult believing kids including one in seminary. Former church leader, producer of church services and leadership summits(gls). Did some Christian radio in younger years, trips to Haiti, you name it in christian culture, I have been there done that. Living in SE New England.

Now?

Simply no belief in the supernatural and if feels so fantastic. I am sitting here with a cup of coffee writing this on a quiet Sunday morning instead of stressing that a church service is being produced well enough to "change" people.

My deconversion mirrors so many. I just finished Seth book and identified with so much of his life. I was recently purging my Christian rock mp3s and had to stop at my Larry Norman. Told you I was an old guy. Just couldn't do it. Any of the rest of you still try to rid yourself of all the Christian books and music?

Will write more as I get to know this forum better. But hi to all for now.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Ellwood's post
13-01-2013, 08:47 AM
RE: Joining the crowd
Hi and welcome. We have a couple of people with similar experiences as your. I think you'll fit right in.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
13-01-2013, 08:49 AM
(13-01-2013 08:47 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Hi and welcome. We have a couple of people with similar experiences as your. I think you'll fit right in.

Um, why aren't you in church, kc? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
13-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Hi Ellwood. Wow, I didn't know people stressed that "a church service is being produced well enough to "change" people." - bit of an agenda outside the skin, huh? Sounds like you've discovered your inherent birthright of a free conscience. Good on you and I'm glad you've found the forum.

Don't know why you'd get rid of music you love ... even though in my estimation Christee music sucks... Dodgy I think you might find many non-theists to have their own cache of beloved religious junk laying about. I happen to have a great admiration for certain religious works of art - the history and craftsmanship they reflect is quite comforting to me. To me, it's a personal proof that no matter what might be said about inspiration or intent, in reality, human beings are the only "creators". This makes me think but also moves me greatly.

So, check the place out and hang around for a while... what else you gonna do on a Sunday, right?

Welcome to the forum. Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend... who figured it out. As can you.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
13-01-2013, 08:58 AM
Welcome.

Don't worry so much about purging the things from your earlier life, they were part of who you were then and make up part of who you are know. [Edit to add-getting rid of the old stuff won't make that time of your life go away]

May I ask how long were you doubting before you actually stepped away?

Angie

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted, and some showed up along the way. - JF
13-01-2013, 08:59 AM
(13-01-2013 08:54 AM)kim Wrote:  Don't know why you'd get rid of music you love ... even though in my estimation Christee music sucks... Dodgy I think you might find many non-theists to have their own cache of beloved religious junk laying about.n a Sunday, right?
Yes! If it weren't for christians some of my favourite horror/scary movies couldnt exist! Smile

Welcome to the forums!

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
13-01-2013, 09:27 AM
(13-01-2013 08:49 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-01-2013 08:47 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Hi and welcome. We have a couple of people with similar experiences as your. I think you'll fit right in.

Um, why aren't you in church, kc? Consider
Kids are sick.

The brown kind of sick... ugh.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
13-01-2013, 10:07 AM
hai welcome to the party. Bring any weed?

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
13-01-2013, 12:17 PM
(13-01-2013 08:58 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Welcome.

Don't worry so much about purging the things from your earlier life, they were part of who you were then and make up part of who you are know. [Edit to add-getting rid of the old stuff won't make that time of your life go away]

May I ask how long were you doubting before you actually stepped away?

Angie

Hi Angie. Good advice. I think that is why I couldn't dump Larry, one of the first Christian rockers.

Interestingly I didn't outwardly doubt for very long. The process really was only about 4 intense months of study and reflection. However I had already moved away from a fundamental Christianity to something much more lite but still holding to the basics. I was very connected to the Willowcreek community church model and in fact worked on several projects aligned with that large church.

It all started to snowball by listening to podcasts where I heard atheists who made sense and who were, frankly, friendly and thinking! From there I went to all the books and you tubes often mentioned. The final moment of deconversion came one night as I was studying all the god myth stories down through history and it finally sunk in. I actually said to myself, holy crab it is all a lie. I have been living for a lie, a myth. From there life was never the same.

That is a very very brief summary. I do think I took less time to go through the process then most. 2 things, I was real ready for it with lots of realizations of things that didn't make sense and I am 58 years old! I don't have anymore time to waste! Lol

I must mention reading a free book I downloaded called A Secret of the Universe by Steve gibson. He has done some podcasting also. Truth Driven Thinking.

Looking forward to being a part of TTA family.
[+] 1 user Likes Ellwood's post
13-01-2013, 12:25 PM
(13-01-2013 08:25 AM)Ellwood Wrote:  Greetings Everyone,

First post here after being a year long listener to the podcast and deconverting a year ago. I am a 58 year old baptist preachers kid, married to a believer, 3 adult believing kids including one in seminary. Former church leader, producer of church services and leadership summits(gls). Did some Christian radio in younger years, trips to Haiti, you name it in christian culture, I have been there done that. Living in SE New England.

Now?

Simply no belief in the supernatural and if feels so fantastic. I am sitting here with a cup of coffee writing this on a quiet Sunday morning instead of stressing that a church service is being produced well enough to "change" people.

My deconversion mirrors so many. I just finished Seth book and identified with so much of his life. I was recently purging my Christian rock mp3s and had to stop at my Larry Norman. Told you I was an old guy. Just couldn't do it. Any of the rest of you still try to rid yourself of all the Christian books and music?

Will write more as I get to know this forum better. But hi to all for now.
Hi Ellwood and welcome! I was never into christian rock, but my grandmother had like 30 bibles and various books. While I did keep the "family bible" the rest were all donated to charity. Oh and I did keep one book about false religions and cults...just for grins and giggles. Chapter one is about atheism...Lol.

The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind. -- Marquis de Sade