Joke too far??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2012, 08:24 AM
RE: Joke too far??
(08-12-2012 08:13 AM)Vera Wrote:  You didn't ask me that question, though, did you? I think you may have a problem with the pronoun 'me' Laughat
I thought I did. Consider

(08-12-2012 08:13 AM)Vera Wrote:  Seriously, though, it's the same vague general 'we', as the general 'you'. As in (most of) us, people. Human beings. In this world.
I dislike that because it's similar to saying "most people do/like/make/find/etc. X" even though there is usually no way of having even nearly enough data to make such a claim. Sure, there are many people who fit your description, I'll give you that, but can you really say that about humans in general? I suppose my point is that I don't like (unsupported) generalizations.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2012, 08:31 AM
(08-12-2012 08:24 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 08:13 AM)Vera Wrote:  You didn't ask me that question, though, did you? I think you may have a problem with the pronoun 'me' Laughat
I thought I did. Consider

(08-12-2012 08:13 AM)Vera Wrote:  Seriously, though, it's the same vague general 'we', as the general 'you'. As in (most of) us, people. Human beings. In this world.
I dislike that because it's similar to saying "most people do/like/make/find/etc. X" even though there is usually no way of having even nearly enough data to make such a claim. Sure, there are many people who fit your description, I'll give you that, but can you really say that about humans in general? I suppose my point is that I don't like (unsupported) generalizations.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid215840
Naughty, naughty! Tinkering with the quotes! Tsk, tsk, tsk! And I thought Germans were sticklers for the rules Dodgy

While you are right about generalisations, it is also true that such sensationalistic programmes are really popular, which means a great number of us (as in, people) watch and enjoy them. Obviously not all, but more than enough to ensure their popularity and the propagation of such voyeurism and the enjoyment derived at the expense of others and through their humiliation.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
10-12-2012, 04:14 AM
Hmm...last time I pointed out Humanity's flaws I was looked down upon. Consider
Weird place; this forum. Drinking Beverage

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-12-2012, 06:22 PM
I saw the clip a few weeks ago. I am not even sure if I find it funny.
On one hand, I do not believe in ghosts so that kid would have probably made me ask "hey, where did you just come from?"
On the other hand, I am a little very scared of elevators, and if the light goes off in the elevator I am in, I have a serious problem.
And I think they counted on that for this "joke". Everyone is scared when something is out of the line in an elevator, and while the brain turns off because you get scared, they send something in, you didn't expect.

So in general I do dislike all tricks played on elevators. But they had a similar ghost girls clip once, that was just a girl standing in a hallway of a hotel. She didn't move or scream or anything. And people were freaking out on that. That is what I found funny.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-12-2012, 06:41 PM
(08-12-2012 08:31 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 08:24 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I thought I did. Consider

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid215840
Naughty, naughty! Tinkering with the quotes! Tsk, tsk, tsk! And I thought Germans were sticklers for the rules Dodgy

While you are right about generalizations, it is also true that such sensationalistic programs are really popular, which means a great number of us (as in, people) watch and enjoy them. Obviously not all, but more than enough to ensure their popularity and the propagation of such voyeurism and the enjoyment derived at the expense of others and through their humiliation.
Sensationalism is a disease infecting television around the world. It saddens me that the public actually pay for this kind of entertainment.

Pretty soon it will be like this

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
05-03-2013, 07:20 AM

What would you do?

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
05-03-2013, 07:31 AM
I was mostly skipping through it, but I quite liked the guy with the fire extinguisher. That's one resourceful guy Thumbsup

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
05-03-2013, 01:14 PM
I would stop the murder. Funny thing about a garrotte, it doesn't leave your hands free to protect yourself. Other funny thing about it is that it takes a while to get the job done - a little yanking on one of the murderer's arms and the job won't get done. Or better yet, a few kicks to the murderer's head should put him out of commission.

I wouldn't hesitate, other than whatever time it takes to get over the surprise and incredulity, then I'd jump in and stop it, then let the cops sort it out.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
05-03-2013, 03:48 PM
(05-03-2013 07:20 AM)bemore Wrote:  

What would you do?
They were talking about this one on the radio this morning. I just wonder if the people that walked away knew it was just a joke... cause damn..

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
05-03-2013, 03:51 PM
(05-03-2013 03:48 PM)smidgen Wrote:  They were talking about this one on the radio this morning. I just wonder if the people that walked away knew it was just a joke... cause damn..
I wondered that as well. I also wonder how it worked out with the people who rang the police, they could of potentially have been done for wasting police time (the people doing the experiment, not the people who rang the police)

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.