Jonestown murder/suicide documentary

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2014, 01:55 PM
Jonestown murder/suicide documentary
Jim Jones, he miraculously healed people, preached of a world where people would take care of each other, was very tolerant of other races and sexual orientations.
Jones claimed he he had revelation from god, had thousands following him, hobnobbed with the president, enjoyed a certain amount of celebrity and wealth.

If you don't have the patience or time to view the whole video, forward to around the 58:00 mark when the end finally comes, absolutely heart wrenching.

It's stuff like this that drives home why Christian epistemology is not just wrong, but it's flat-out dangerous. Don't ever tell me you know how to discern what's right or wrong in the Bible because of the Holy Spirit giving you discernment.

909 people thought the same thing that day.....

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
17-10-2014, 02:27 PM
RE: Jonestown murder/suicide documentary
I knew people, kids mostly who's parents dragged them there to Jonestown.

Sad

Leo J Ryan was our congressman and was once the mayor of the town I grew up in. My oldest son, played in park named in his honor.

I think I'll pass, that whole time is still too fresh in my memories.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-10-2014, 02:51 PM
My brother was involved in a Christian doomsday cult, he married the daughter of the cult leader and moved out in the country with them to prepare for the end times.

We couldn't argue him out of his "Sprit-led" delusion, but a friend of his did, after several years he eventually left with his wife, I'm glad to have my brother back, but he's still deeply religious, he's just an evangelical now.

I had a talk with him about how I no longer believe anymore, he was accepting of that and it was a good conversation. Towards the end of our lunch together, he told me that he owes everything that he is to god. I told him that he is who he is because that's who he is, god had nothing to do with it. It was a sad thing to hear that from him, but at least the harm that was caused by his belief of the imminent second coming is no longer a factor.

The end-time mythology is about as powerful as the after-life myth, I wonder how many people have died from this pernicious belief?

Its affected me personally as well.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
17-10-2014, 03:26 PM
(17-10-2014 01:55 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Jim Jones, he miraculously healed people, preached of a world where people would take care of each other, was very tolerant of other races and sexual orientations.
Jones claimed he he had revelation from god, had thousands following him, hobnobbed with the president, enjoyed a certain amount of celebrity and wealth.

If you don't have the patience or time to view the whole video, forward to around the 58:00 mark when the end finally comes, absolutely heart wrenching.

It's stuff like this that drives home why Christian epistemology is not just wrong, but it's flat-out dangerous. Don't ever tell me you know how to discern what's right or wrong in the Bible because of the Holy Spirit giving you discernment.

909 people thought the same thing that day.....

It is not a label issue that leads to this, it is our species flawed perceptions that lead us to seek patterns even if those convince us of falsehoods,

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-10-2014, 04:18 PM
Will view when I have time. Thanks!

Jones arranged marriages, screwed everyone, hid kids in cupboards, was a complete and utter madman, who finally killed most of his flock by forcing them to drink cyanide laced kool -aid.Evil_monster
17-10-2014, 04:21 PM
(17-10-2014 01:55 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  909 people thought the same thing that day.....

What gives me hope is the 30 odd souls who said "Fuck this shit. You fucking crazy."

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post