Joseph Smith makes the news

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2014, 03:48 PM
RE: Joseph Smith makes the news
(11-11-2014 03:44 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(11-11-2014 11:17 AM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Must be a slow day in the newsroom: CNN Article

My favorite quote from the article:
"According to the church's essay, Smith had not wanted to take multiple wives, but relented after an angel appeared to him three times between 1834-1842. On the angel's last visit, the church said, "the angel came with a drawn sword, threatening Joseph with destruction unless he went forward and obeyed the commandment fully."

Imagine an angel hounding you for eight years, demanding you marry as many women as possible. What a conundrum!

Smith being a polygamist isn't the actual news here; we all knew that shit already. The news here is that the Mor(m)ons are actually admitting it.

Sure but it was inevitable despite it being ground breaking. All religious bullshit will inevitably be exposed. Just sit back and watch them drop as information becomes more and more accessible.

But seriously... how naive can people be?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2014, 03:58 PM
(11-11-2014 03:48 PM)dirtstar Wrote:  
(11-11-2014 03:44 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Smith being a polygamist isn't the actual news here; we all knew that shit already. The news here is that the Mor(m)ons are actually admitting it.

Sure but it was inevitable despite it being ground breaking. All religious bullshit will inevitably be exposed. Just sit back and watch them drop as information becomes more and more accessible.

But seriously... how naive can people be?

Humanity has the capacity for virtually infinite naivety.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
11-11-2014, 04:14 PM
(11-11-2014 03:44 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Smith being a polygamist isn't the actual news here; we all knew that shit already. The news here is that the Mor(m)ons are actually admitting it.

I see what you did there...

While the church may finally be admitting some of these things publicly, Mormon teachers will no doubt continue to sweep them under the rug during youth class.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 2 users Like guitar_nut's post
11-11-2014, 05:33 PM
I think the biggest surprise for me is that this was an article written by the church itself. Like growing up, there were no lessons talking about Joseph having multiple wives. Not even in the young adults/adults Sunday school thing, there weren't any discussions about this. Just Emma. If someone asked about it or brought it up in Sunday school, it was more or less, "that's what was commanded at the time," and moved on. I think I even had a Sunday school teacher tell us it was because, at the time, there were more men that women in the church so polygamy allowed them to enter into the highest kingdom of heaven(which you can only really do through temple sealings/marriage). If there is/was a lesson on it in the lesson manual, I either wasn't there or the teacher gladly skipped over it. I think they uploaded pdfs of the manual on the official website...I'll have to look now...but yeah.

Long story short, holy shit they finally admit there was more women in Smith's life than Emma! Oh look, they're still trying to make him look glossy-perfect-above all man-ly! Can't have him be anything short of perfect! The marble statues and paintings of Joseph Smith Jr. looses something if followers don't think he's perfect! (but really that man knew how to pose) Ain't that just the LDS church, trying to make whatever pops up from the past look elegant and enforcing the "if we don't talk about it it didn't happen" policy.

[Image: notagain.gif]