Joseph of ...Arimathea?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2016, 03:17 AM
Joseph of ...Arimathea?
I was looking for more info on the forgotten tomb of Jesus and I had a look at Joseph of Arimathea because Jesus was supposed to have been buried in his tomb.

Most people would know of Joseph of Arimathea. He appears in all of the four gospels. He supposedly got that name because in Luke 23:51 “he came from the Judean town of Arimathea”.

So I looked it up, and it has never existed! Another bloody literary device! The name is derived from "Matheia" which is said to mean "disciple town" and "ari-" is a prefix for superiority. So Joseph ("coincidentally" the name of Jesus' father) a stranger not present at the crucifixion and a secret disciple came from Arimathea, a town that never existed. The other disciples abandoned him, so this secret disciple came from a Jewish town that means "Best Disciple Town". To further confound things, if he was a member of the council, the Sanhedrin, he voted to condemn Jesus to death!

In Mark 14 it says; Then the high priest tore his clothes, and said, What need have we of any further witnesses?

You have heard the blasphemy: what think you? And they all condemned him to be guilty of death.

If Jesus croaked it at 3pm, how did Joseph (where's his "real" dad anyway?);

1. Get permission from Pilate to grab his body (That alone would not have been quick and easy)
2. Get the dead Jesus body down from the cross or the tree
3. Carry it to his tomb, where-ever that was
4. Find Nicodemus and buy 100 pounds of myrrh and aloes
6. Find a shroud and anoint it
7. Bury Jesus
8. Roll the great rock back over the entrance with no assistance

All before sundown?

Joseph of Arimathea then suspiciously vanishes after burying Jesus and is not mentioned again. WTF?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Firefighter01's post
14-09-2016, 10:11 AM
RE: Joseph of ...Arimathea?
There's no mystery. The name is likely bogus, because the donor of the grave didn't want to be advertised among his business contacts as an adherent of the new radical sect. His crypt and embalming supplies would have been laid up, all ready. The gospels say his mother and brothers came to the crucifixion, but nothing about the father - he may already have been dead by then, or too old and feeble to travel: remember, this was a middle-aged widower who married a teenaged girl, 32 years before.

A crucified felon would be taken down by the soldiers assigned to that duty, as soon as he expired. In that heat, and with the flies and all, you don't want them hanging around. Their relatives or friends will have been waiting for the corpse to be released: according to Jewish custom, you bury them asap.

The part I don't believe is where he gets up again. That probably didn't happen.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
14-09-2016, 01:00 PM
(14-09-2016 10:11 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  There's no mystery. The name is likely bogus, because the donor of the grave didn't want to be advertised among his business contacts as an adherent of the new radical sect. His crypt and embalming supplies would have been laid up, all ready. The gospels say his mother and brothers came to the crucifixion, but nothing about the father - he may already have been dead by then, or too old and feeble to travel: remember, this was a middle-aged widower who married a teenaged girl, 32 years before.

A crucified felon would be taken down by the soldiers assigned to that duty, as soon as he expired. In that heat, and with the flies and all, you don't want them hanging around. Their relatives or friends will have been waiting for the corpse to be released: according to Jewish custom, you bury them asap.

The part I don't believe is where he gets up again. That probably didn't happen.

Those who deny the zombie apocalypse shall be the first to fall.

Sadcryface2Evil_monster
14-09-2016, 01:06 PM
(14-09-2016 03:17 AM)Firefighter01 Wrote:  I was looking for more info on the forgotten tomb of Jesus and I had a look at Joseph of Arimathea because Jesus was supposed to have been buried in his tomb.

Most people would know of Joseph of Arimathea. He appears in all of the four gospels. He supposedly got that name because in Luke 23:51 “he came from the Judean town of Arimathea”.

So I looked it up, and it has never existed! Another bloody literary device! The name is derived from "Matheia" which is said to mean "disciple town" and "ari-" is a prefix for superiority. So Joseph ("coincidentally" the name of Jesus' father) a stranger not present at the crucifixion and a secret disciple came from Arimathea, a town that never existed. The other disciples abandoned him, so this secret disciple came from a Jewish town that means "Best Disciple Town". To further confound things, if he was a member of the council, the Sanhedrin, he voted to condemn Jesus to death!

In Mark 14 it says; Then the high priest tore his clothes, and said, What need have we of any further witnesses?

You have heard the blasphemy: what think you? And they all condemned him to be guilty of death.

1. Get permission from Pilate to grab his body (That alone would not have been quick and easy)
7. Bury Jesus

All before sundown?

Joseph of Arimathea then suspiciously vanishes after burying Jesus and is not mentioned again. WTF?

"God works in mysterious ways".
Yes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
14-09-2016, 02:23 PM
"Arimathea" as a town name didn't exist, but that's partly due to the fact that it's a poorly-translated version of Ha-Ramah, or -Ramathaim (ha being a prefix article, and the H being implied by an accent mark in front of the A of Arimathea), also called Ramathaim-Zophim, which Eusebius identified as the town called Arimathea. Despite Eusebius' claim, it is not known for certain whether this is the same town, but it seems likely, and most scholars accept the connection.

Ha-Ramah is associated with the Prophet Samuel, and was the seat of his power, where he was born and where he was buried.

So a more likely explanation is that this was another attempt by the earliest Christian writers to connect the growing legend of Jesus with icons/prophecies from the Old Testament.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
14-09-2016, 04:22 PM
(14-09-2016 03:17 AM)Firefighter01 Wrote:  I was looking for more info on the forgotten tomb of Jesus

Forgotten? Try mythical. One of the finest features of crucifixion was being left to rot on the cross. A but undignified for a Messiah though and hard to rise from the dead if you're jackal-assisted compost so a tomb was invented. So much easier for it to be empty that way.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
14-09-2016, 06:04 PM
Aye.

http://debunkingchristianity.blogspot.co...bably.html

Quote:With John Dominic Crossan and Keith Parsons I believe that the accounts of Joseph of Arimathea giving Jesus an honorable burial are probably a literary fiction. This shouldn’t surprise the reader since there are good reasons to also be suspicious of the existence of Judas Iscariot, who conspired with the Sanhedrin to betray Jesus with a kiss the night before his crucifixion. With regard to Joseph being a literary creation there are several lines of evidence that point in this direction.

Xtians love to bullshit themselves.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
15-09-2016, 12:09 AM
(14-09-2016 04:22 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 03:17 AM)Firefighter01 Wrote:  I was looking for more info on the forgotten tomb of Jesus

Forgotten? Try mythical. One of the finest features of crucifixion was being left to rot on the cross. A but undignified for a Messiah though and hard to rise from the dead if you're jackal-assisted compost so a tomb was invented. So much easier for it to be empty that way.
Yeah I agree. I was writing from the Christian's perspective. They wouldn't have preserved anyone's modesty with a loin cloth either.
15-09-2016, 12:11 AM
(14-09-2016 01:06 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 03:17 AM)Firefighter01 Wrote:  I was looking for more info on the forgotten tomb of Jesus and I had a look at Joseph of Arimathea because Jesus was supposed to have been buried in his tomb.

7. Bury Jesus

All before sundown?

"God works in mysterious ways".
Yes
Ah yes, I forgot about the simple solution. Smile They don't say that that often now do they?
15-09-2016, 12:18 AM
(14-09-2016 01:00 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  The gospels say his mother and brothers came to the crucifixion, but nothing about the father - he may already have been dead by then, or too old and feeble to travel
I don't think that you hear of Joseph after losing Jesus at the temple, he missed his first miracle of turning water in wine at the wedding at Cana. So he wasn't rated much as a family figure, he was more of a literary figure like all of them.