Journey to the West

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2013, 05:56 AM
RE: Journey to the West
(27-02-2013 05:21 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I've never read it but thought it was a cool story and quite interesting mythology after I found out about it.

I first found out of it because of the PS1 game Saiyuki: Journey West... clearly set on the novel.

It's very, very long and repetitive at times, but it is one of the greatest books ever written. It is a rich mélange of history, mythology, folk beliefs, and religious and political commentary.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2013, 04:12 PM
(25-02-2013 03:48 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Stephen Chow, the creator of Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle, recently came out with another film entitled Journey to the West: Conquering the Demon. It is a remake of his older film A Chinese Odyssey. I personally don't like it because: 1) Chow isn't in it; 2) it's too slow; 3) it's too serious; 4) they butchered the hell out of the original storyline; and 5) did I mention Chow isn't in it? Anyway, if anyone ever wondered why Sun Wukong was chosen as the basis for Son Goku from Dragon Ball Z, it's because he's a total badass. You can see what I mean by watching the end fight from the film. Feel free to watch the whole thing if you want, but, for my purposes, I suggest fast forwarding to 85:40 (just move the bar up to that point and let it load from there). You will see he is very short, but he is strong enough to do things like destroy mountain sized statues with a single punch. The bit around 99:50 is the best.

I found a website that loads the movie faster. Just move the bar to the times I suggested:

http://osemtv.com/watch_video.php?v=82H89H3K3SD7#_
27-02-2013, 04:15 PM
(27-02-2013 05:56 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  It's very, very long and repetitive at times, but it is one of the greatest books ever written. It is a rich mélange of history, mythology, folk beliefs, and religious and political commentary.
Is its content worth reading 2346 pages? Last time I read a book of that length, I was rather disappointed. Consider

P.S.: I'm talking about the Bible.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
27-02-2013, 04:21 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2013 04:24 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(27-02-2013 04:15 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Is its content worth reading 2346 pages? Last time I read a book of that length, I was rather disappointed. Consider

P.S.: I'm talking about the Bible.

Yes. There is a reason that it has been adapted for stage, screen, TV, literature, and comic books. Although, I will say it might be a challenge to anyone who is not well acquainted with Asian culture. I suggest starting with the abridged version by Anthony C. Yu.
27-02-2013, 04:34 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2013 05:34 PM by GirlyMan.)
The west is the best, ... bitches. ... Come on baby, take a chance with us and meet me at the back of the blue bus.

"Lost in a Roman...wilderness of pain
And all the children are insane
All the children are insane
Waiting for the summer rain, yeah"

Breathing - it's more art than science.
12-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Here is an interesting documentary on the novel hosted by professors, screenwriters, artists, and storytellers.

http://www.learner.org/courses/worldlit/...est/watch/
13-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Here is a fight scene from the recent Journey to the West film that I linked to above:

07-06-2013, 12:30 PM
I just found the entire book transcribed on Scribd. You can read it here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/392832/journey-to-the-west

It's based on W.J.F. Jenner's translation. This is the version I originally read twice in the army. Like I stated above, it is a challenging book with innumerable characters, countless subplots, and plenty of repetition. It will be especially hard for those not well acquainted with Chinese mythology and cosmology. However, it is rewarding book overall. It is one of the most finely crafted works ever written. It draws upon mythology spanning thousands of years, as well as history, politics, and religious texts. And don't forget that it influenced the Dragon Ball franchise, as well as other Japanese media.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
07-06-2013, 02:05 PM
(23-03-2012 10:42 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(28-02-2012 11:34 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Filox is a big manga/anime fan. Hopefully he'll find his way to this thread.

This looks interesting to me. I'm going to check it out.

I hope you do check it out. Might I suggest you start with an abridged version first, possibly Arthur Waley's Monkey or Anthony C. Yu's The Monkey and the Monk. The full novel is thousands of pages long.

(29-02-2012 06:06 AM)robotworld Wrote:  XiYouJi (西游记) is a fantastic novel. It is a very recommended book if you are curious about Chinese literature. Other books such as The Three Kingdoms (三国演义), which tells the story about the warring nations during the era of the Three Kingdoms and their generals.

[...]

SunWuKong is my favourite character, with his array of magical abilities, his trusty rod, and how he manages to overcome obstacles using his intelligence. I also admire TangSanZang, despite being captured countless times by demons, he never gave up, and never deserted his mission to obtain the Holy Scriptures in the Western Heaven.

You seem to like it as much as I do. Sun Wukong is my favorite character too for obvious reasons. I'm not a big fan of Xuanzang, though. He is too whiny for my taste. I'm sure the historical Xuanzang would not have approved of the portrayal. However, I realize his literary version was meant to be the yin to monkey's yang.

Donnie Yen is staring as Monkey in a Chinese martial arts movie coming out later this year. It is supposed to cover the first 7 chapters, when Monkey gains his skills and rebels against heaven.

Oops. Apparently forgot to do this.

Does spanking the monkey count? Weeping

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
07-06-2013, 03:03 PM
(07-06-2013 02:05 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Oops. Apparently forgot to do this.

Does spanking the monkey count? Weeping

As long as you spank it with the Buddha in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post