Journey to the West

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2013, 11:45 AM
RE: Journey to the West
I've written an article that details the story of the main character Sun Wukong. It may be interesting to those who are interested in the origins of Son Goku from the Dragon Ball franchise.

http://historum.com/blogs/ghostexorcist/...-king.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Trailer #2 for Donnie Yen's movie about the Monkey King has been released. I have to say this movie looks really good. This is the badass Monkey King from the novel, not the pussy from that horrible Forbidden Kingdom movie that came out a few years ago:

19-03-2015, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2015 04:22 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(07-01-2014 03:58 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Trailer #2 for Donnie Yen's movie about the Monkey King has been released. I have to say this movie looks really good. This is the badass Monkey King from the novel, not the pussy from that horrible Forbidden Kingdom movie that came out a few years ago:

The movie was shit. Everything in the trailer happens in the last 15 - 20 minutes of the film. It deviates way too much from the source material.

By the way, an anime-style adaption of the original novel is coming out sometime this year. It's like a weird supernatural techno punk version. It looks pretty crazy.

[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
19-07-2015, 07:29 AM
(27-02-2013 05:05 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I knew the novel was very popular in Japan ... I will say one of my favorite paintings of the Monkey King is a 19th-century Japanese woodblock print. It is the most unique portrayal I've seen. His cudgel looks more like a really log club:

[Image: 1820songokusunwukongjap.jpg]

Journey to the West first came to Japan's shores during the 18th-century. It was translated into Japanese in bits and pieces over the course of some 70 years before a complete translation came out in 1837. This edition was illustrated with beautiful woodblock prints by the noted artist Hokusai (1760-1849). I recently happened upon two sections of this illustrated translation and present them in the following video. Please forgive the boring pacing.

[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
19-07-2015, 07:56 AM
He came from an egg on a mountain top....
Find all posts by this user