Journey to the West

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2013, 11:45 AM
RE: Journey to the West
I've written an article that details the story of the main character Sun Wukong. It may be interesting to those who are interested in the origins of Son Goku from the Dragon Ball franchise.

http://historum.com/blogs/ghostexorcist/...-king.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Trailer #2 for Donnie Yen's movie about the Monkey King has been released. I have to say this movie looks really good. This is the badass Monkey King from the novel, not the pussy from that horrible Forbidden Kingdom movie that came out a few years ago:

19-03-2015, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2015 04:22 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(07-01-2014 03:58 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Trailer #2 for Donnie Yen's movie about the Monkey King has been released. I have to say this movie looks really good. This is the badass Monkey King from the novel, not the pussy from that horrible Forbidden Kingdom movie that came out a few years ago:

The movie was shit. Everything in the trailer happens in the last 15 - 20 minutes of the film. It deviates way too much from the source material.

By the way, an anime-style adaption of the original novel is coming out sometime this year. It's like a weird supernatural techno punk version. It looks pretty crazy.

[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
19-07-2015, 07:29 AM
(27-02-2013 05:05 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I knew the novel was very popular in Japan ... I will say one of my favorite paintings of the Monkey King is a 19th-century Japanese woodblock print. It is the most unique portrayal I've seen. His cudgel looks more like a really log club:

[Image: 1820songokusunwukongjap.jpg]

Journey to the West first came to Japan's shores during the 18th-century. It was translated into Japanese in bits and pieces over the course of some 70 years before a complete translation came out in 1837. This edition was illustrated with beautiful woodblock prints by the noted artist Hokusai (1760-1849). I recently happened upon two sections of this illustrated translation and present them in the following video. Please forgive the boring pacing.

19-07-2015, 07:56 AM
He came from an egg on a mountain top....
Find all posts by this user
02-06-2018, 10:24 PM
This is an article I've written to serve as a resource for artists and cosplayers looking to make an authentic Sun Wukong design. I list quotes from the novel describing his physical appearance, his clothing, and his staff.

https://journeytothewestresearch.wordpre...-resource/

People who have played games like SMITE might be familiar with the character. But the game's design looks nothing like that from the book.
04-06-2018, 01:34 AM
Love the initial story, and a big fan of the 70's tv show Monkey, which in directly led me into my love of anime via Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z etc, (which the former is loosely based upon). I do need to pick up the stories and read them properly Smile

I'm training for a 10K run, read about it in my blog :
Lost In Pace - A Running Blog
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
04-06-2018, 03:56 AM
(04-06-2018 01:34 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Love the initial story, and a big fan of the 70's tv show Monkey, which in directly led me into my love of anime via Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z etc, (which the former is loosely based upon). I do need to pick up the stories and read them properly Smile

Here are some translations you can try:

1) Monkey: A Folk-Tale of China (1942) translated by Arthur Waley. This 30 chapter abridged edition introduced the tale to a wide western audience. I hear the translation is playful and not slavish to the original text. I've never read it, though.

2) The Journey to the West (1977-1983/2012 revised) translated by Anthony C. Yu. This is the most accurate and scholarly translation available. It is crammed full of footnotes and references to external papers and books. Some have complained this version is too slavish to the original text. I use it for all of my research. I'm pretty sure I have EPUB versions of this edition. I can email them to you if you like.

3) Journey to the West (1982-1984) translated by W.J.F. Jenner. A far less scholarly edition minus footnotes. This was the first edition I read. It is really accessible.

4) The Monkey and the Monk: An Abridgment of The Journey to the West (2006) translated by Anthony C. Yu. This is a 31 chapter version of number 2.
04-06-2018, 05:21 AM
awesome! I'll check out what editions I can find, I did have one on my list to read, so will check out what version that is Smile

I'm training for a 10K run, read about it in my blog :
Lost In Pace - A Running Blog
09-06-2018, 07:11 PM
The image on the left is a 13th-century stone relief of Sun Wukong from the western pagoda of Kaiyuan Temple (開元寺) in Quanzhou, Fujian. I'm currently writing a blog article on the subject. My interpretation of the relief is the image on the right. I traced over the original with an art tablet. This was my first time using such a device, so the linework is pretty shoddy. I made the piece look better with color.

[Image: OY6Kc6.png]