Judaism, Christianity and Islam god debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Judaism, Christianity and Islam god debate
I've come across this many times. Christians don't realize or completely deny that they worship the same god as Muslims, the Abrahamic god. In a heated discussion with someone online I've shown how this is possible but it goes over like a lead balloon. Any suggestions to convince someone of this? The stupidity meter is quite high in this one so I'm not too optimistic.

I've also come across Christians who believe that the Hebrew god is a different god than the Christian god. A totally different god. (Well, he is in a convoluted sort of way.)

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2014, 06:43 PM
RE: Judaism, Christianity and Islam god debate
Maybe try pointing out both the Bible and the Qur'an tell the story of Lot?
02-12-2014, 06:44 PM
(02-12-2014 06:39 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I've come across this many times. Christians don't realize or completely deny that they worship the same god as Muslims, the Abrahamic god. In a heated discussion with someone online I've shown how this is possible but it goes over like a lead balloon. Any suggestions to convince someone of this? The stupidity meter is quite high in this one so I'm not too optimistic.

They all believe that their god is the god who told Abraham to kill his son. If they aren't the same god then did that happen 3 times? (as opposed to never)

Quote:I've also come across Christians who believe that the Hebrew god is a different god than the Christian god. A totally different god. (Well, he is in a convoluted sort of way.)

Marcion thought so; if he had won out that would be the orthodox view now.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
02-12-2014, 07:26 PM
Its funny that you bring this up because I've had threads here where I argue that they are the same God and have had atheists say that I'm wrong and that they are two very different gods.
I'm surprised that they don't know this. Dante considered Islam to be the greatest of the Christian heresies. People need to read more.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
02-12-2014, 08:22 PM
(02-12-2014 07:26 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Its funny that you bring this up because I've had threads here where I argue that they are the same God and have had atheists say that I'm wrong and that they are two very different gods.
I'm surprised that they don't know this. Dante considered Islam to be the greatest of the Christian heresies. People need to read more.

You might be thinking of the difference between the Old Testament god and the New Testament god. They are the same god but seemed to have a different personality. I've seen the NT god referred to as God Lite.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
02-12-2014, 08:27 PM
They are equally non-existent, so there's that. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
02-12-2014, 08:46 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2014 09:04 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-12-2014 07:26 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Its funny that you bring this up because I've had threads here where I argue that they are the same God and have had atheists say that I'm wrong and that they are two very different gods.
Links? From what I've seen here many of us recognize that the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Bahá'í , Rastafari and others) all worship the same God.

(02-12-2014 07:26 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  People need to read more.
Now you're just being condescending and insulting.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-12-2014, 09:39 PM
(02-12-2014 06:39 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I've come across this many times. Christians don't realize or completely deny that they worship the same god as Muslims, the Abrahamic god. In a heated discussion with someone online I've shown how this is possible but it goes over like a lead balloon. Any suggestions to convince someone of this? The stupidity meter is quite high in this one so I'm not too optimistic.

I've also come across Christians who believe that the Hebrew god is a different god than the Christian god. A totally different god. (Well, he is in a convoluted sort of way.)

In many ways their view on the matter may be more accurate. Sure, the god(s) of the Christianity, Islam and Judaism share a common heritage but they've evolved in cultural isolation from one another for millennia. They are all descended from a common ancestor but they no longer resemble one another very much.

To really get them wound up, tell the Christians and Muslims that their gods are derivative. A corrupted version of a purer, more accurate Jewish deity. Tell the Hebrews that their god is primitive, fossilized, stuck in time. Handy as an outgroup when categorizing more evolved belief systems.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
02-12-2014, 09:39 PM
(02-12-2014 06:44 PM)unfogged Wrote:  

They all believe that their god is the god who told Abraham to kill his son. If they aren't the same god then did that happen 3 times? (as opposed to never)

Quote:I've also come across Christians who believe that the Hebrew god is a different god than the Christian god. A totally different god. (Well, he is in a convoluted sort of way.)

Marcion thought so; if he had won out that would be the orthodox view now.

Maybe it was 1 god who told him to kill Ishmael and another told him to kill Issac... we're only left trying to find one other god in there.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
03-12-2014, 12:16 AM
I've only gathered this from reading here, but wasn't Yahweh one God of a specific middle eastern sect, that overtime became "God" of the Bible?