Judge Changes Child's Name...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Judge Changes Child's Name...
"The religious name was earned by one person and 'that one person is Jesus Christ.'"

I just saw this on my newsfeed on Facebook. I thought it could be an interesting topic for us atheists to discuss as a general discussion about the rights of parents to call their children what they want. Also, we could talk about crazy baby names we've heard. Or, you know how we get... we could just talk about whatever we feel at the moment.

Thoughts?

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2013, 05:56 PM
RE: Judge Changes Child's Name...
Pathetic and a bit funny

[Image: 9f6.gif]
11-08-2013, 06:02 PM
I saw one comment from someone on there. She yelled, "The judge was correct! There is only 1 mesiah!" (Chill the fuck out, dude.)

But I do find it interesting because I wonder how many people would agree with a judge if the parents named him something not relating to good 'ole Christian folk lore. (I'm at a loss for "crazy, inappropriate" baby names at the moment.) But you know what I mean, I think.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
11-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Jehovah Genesis the 3rd?
Anyway
Parents should be free to name their kids whatever they want! But I don't think a child named Starshine should have to wait until they're 18 to have their name legally changed, either Undecided ! It could cause problems for them!

Tongue

11-08-2013, 06:39 PM
Wow, a judge who has pushed her own personal bias for no lawful reason onto a citizen???

Its not something I would choose for my child however I would like to feel that if I did have children I wouldn't have the people who represent the law deciding what I wanted to call them.

I would think in a sane world the appeal would quash this ruling.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 3 users Like bemore's post
11-08-2013, 06:45 PM
(11-08-2013 05:51 PM)Peanut Wrote:  "The religious name was earned by one person and 'that one person is Jesus Christ.'"

I just saw this on my newsfeed on Facebook. I thought it could be an interesting topic for us atheists to discuss as a general discussion about the rights of parents to call their children what they want. Also, we could talk about crazy baby names we've heard. Or, you know how we get... we could just talk about whatever we feel at the moment.

Thoughts?
Mixed feelings. Good action for wrong reasons.
While the judge was at it, he should change his brother's name from Mason. People in USA have weird ideas, naming children after vocations. Mason, Taylor, Hunter...Messiah.
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
11-08-2013, 06:52 PM
This guy's wondering where his judge/savior was when he needed him/her Tongue
Or maybe not *shrugs*
[Image: worst-names-ever-wildammo-1-500x250.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
11-08-2013, 06:58 PM
A stupid name is a great way to force your kid to live life in hard mode. Unfair at best and borderline abusive at worst.

But given that 'stupid' is an utterly subjective notion, however, it would seem quite difficult to envision or enforce any regulation that wouldn't also be an excessive infringement on rights.

In any case, 'Messiah' is a stupid name. So there's that.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
11-08-2013, 07:15 PM
(11-08-2013 05:51 PM)Peanut Wrote:  "The religious name was earned by one person and 'that one person is Jesus Christ.'"

Thoughts?

It's silly that this is even a court issue, and waste of government resources.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
11-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Um., I'd never do that to a child. Well first I'd never name my kid Messiah, that's lame. I'd go for something like Obsidian or Agate. Second isn't cruel and usual punishment confuse a kid by changing their name? Who cares about that judge's religious opinions, Messiah by dictionary terms just means savior. And it has been applied to more people besides the fairy tale of Christ. Harriet Tubman, Ghandi and other historic figures.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user