Judge Changes Child's Name...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2013, 11:03 PM
RE: Judge Changes Child's Name...
While I agree on changing the name of the kid, the reason it's all messed up... why would a judge base a sentence on something like that? it's just idiotic

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2013, 11:19 PM
(11-08-2013 05:51 PM)Peanut Wrote:  "The religious name was earned by one person and 'that one person is Jesus Christ.'"

I just saw this on my newsfeed on Facebook. I thought it could be an interesting topic for us atheists to discuss as a general discussion about the rights of parents to call their children what they want. Also, we could talk about crazy baby names we've heard. Or, you know how we get... we could just talk about whatever we feel at the moment.

Thoughts?

Well the parents who named their kid Adolf Hitler got their kids taken away in new jersey.

It's a far cry tho than naming your kid messiah. I think that judge was just cranky.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/31...61046.html

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

12-08-2013, 12:27 PM
(11-08-2013 08:31 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Well first I'd never name my kid Messiah, that's lame. I'd go for something like Obsidian or Agate.

Laughat

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-08-2013, 12:33 PM
(12-08-2013 12:27 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(11-08-2013 08:31 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Well first I'd never name my kid Messiah, that's lame. I'd go for something like Obsidian or Agate.

Laughat
Now that I've gotten voice over to recognize what that meant, what do mean? What's wrong with the names I picked?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-08-2013, 02:38 PM
This judge should be disbarred for allowing their Bible-thumping bias into a court case. If a parent wants to name their child Almighty Satan Jesus, it should be their right to do so.

(11-08-2013 08:31 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Um., I'd never do that to a child. Well first I'd never name my kid Messiah, that's lame. I'd go for something like Obsidian or Agate.

Obsidian? That name rocks. Wink

Agate? Perhaps only for a girl. It sounds too much like faggot.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
12-08-2013, 02:45 PM
(12-08-2013 12:27 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

Laughat

Or that other well known rocky substance, gwinnite.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
12-08-2013, 04:14 PM
(11-08-2013 06:23 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Jehovah Genesis the 3rd?
That's it!

I'm now going to attempt to procreate for the sole purpose of naming my kid that!
That, or maybe Sauron Melkor..... not sure which. Consider

[Image: 21omssh.jpg]
12-08-2013, 04:51 PM
When this woman files and wins her appeal, should the judge be individually liable to repay the cost of the appeal?

Yeah, they say that in this country you have your right to a day in court, BUT when you go to court and win conclusively and still have to pay court costs is it still a right or a privilege for those with means.

This judge should be removed not just from the bench but from any further decision making processes greater than "What's for dinner"
12-08-2013, 08:04 PM
The courts should only intervene in the naming of children if it can be reasonably demonstrated that the children will likely come to physical or emotional harm because of it. The reason the judge gave is unacceptable.

Calling your child "Satan" in the southern U.S., or "Kickmeinthenuts" in anywhere could be easily demonstrated to be child abuse.

However a person, once they are 18 years old, should be able to legally change their name to anything, because they will be responsible for their decision.

"I am a knowledgeable man, I have knowledge. If I knew how I knew what I know, I would know half as much, because it would be clogged up with where I knew it from...that is why I cannot always cite my sources. - David Mitchell
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
12-08-2013, 08:11 PM
What a douche. If I want to name my child Messiah, I will. Eat my shit, Tennessee!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post