Judges 1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2015, 12:42 PM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2015 12:50 PM by Full Circle.)
Judges 1
I may have mentioned that three of us have undertaken the task of reading the Bible from cover to cover. We’re still in the OT and while it is full of barbaric acts today I came across one I had never heard of before.

(1:6) But Adoni-bezek fled; and they pursued after him, and caught him, and cut off his thumbs and his great toes.[/i]

"That's a novel treatment of a prisoner. The aim is apparently to make it so that he can’t take up arms or flee but it seems more sadistic than reasonable (see http://biblehub.com/judges/1-6.htm).”

[i](1:7) And Adoni-bezek said, Threescore and ten kings, having their thumbs and their great toes cut off, gathered [their meat] under my table: as I have done, so God hath requited me. And they brought him to Jerusalem, and there he died.

I don’t even...

http://curiousjew.blogspot.com/2008/11/toes-thumbs.html

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
19-11-2015, 12:44 PM
RE: Judges 1
What translation is that?

I think "Big Toes" is supposed to be translated as "Huge Dicks."

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
19-11-2015, 12:49 PM
Yeah, that's a pretty bad one. In my bible commentary it says the cutting off of thumbs and toes was done so prisoners could never become warriors again and instead would live the life of beggars (Walton/Matthews/Chavalas).
19-11-2015, 12:53 PM
Those people had different mentality.
We don't understand them, they wouldn't understand us.
We can't judge those people. We never lived in their world.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
19-11-2015, 12:54 PM
(19-11-2015 12:49 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Yeah, that's a pretty bad one. In my bible commentary it says the cutting off of thumbs and toes was done so prisoners could never become warriors again and instead would live the life of beggars (Walton/Matthews/Chavalas).

That is what I also have gathered from looking up the practice.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
19-11-2015, 12:55 PM
when I saw the title I was expecting the iron chariots
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
19-11-2015, 12:56 PM
(19-11-2015 12:44 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  What translation is that?

If they meant huge dicks they would have said hung like donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses like they did in Ezekiel Tongue
19-11-2015, 12:57 PM
(19-11-2015 12:55 PM)Ace Wrote:  when I saw the title I was expecting the iron chariots

How about some Iron Maiden instead...

[Image: iron-maiden-group_1687230c.jpg]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
19-11-2015, 12:58 PM
(19-11-2015 12:56 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 12:44 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  What translation is that?

If they meant huge dicks they would have said hung like donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses like they did in Ezekiel Tongue

You're forgetting that Judges was likely written during the era of the Kings, while Ezekiel was written by the priests in the Babylonian exile centuries later. Language changes, my friend. Never forget that. Language changes.

Drinking Beverage

~Izel
19-11-2015, 01:13 PM
(19-11-2015 12:55 PM)Ace Wrote:  when I saw the title I was expecting the iron chariots

Me too.