Judges 1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2015, 06:57 PM
RE: Judges 1
(19-11-2015 06:24 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 06:22 PM)DerFish Wrote:  How is the old testament not a "record of history"?

Btw... I know many of you think the bible is a made up fairy tale. I am just waiting for the explosion of responses.
Is it divine intervention that won't let this be posted? This is try #3. I don't think anyone believes the Babble is a made up fairy tale, but hundreds of them.

>>>>Here you go. Your quote tags were of order out.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-11-2015, 08:07 PM
(19-11-2015 06:31 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 06:20 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Okay, but I'm still waiting for you to answer what lesson God was teaching when he had all of David's wives raped and his baby killed.
Don't kill your best friend in order to claim his wife as your own.

I hope you realize that you are actually rationalizing this story...... and that's not a good thing.

Good people will do good things, and bad people will do bad things. But for good people to do bad things -- that takes religion.
-- Steven Weinberg

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
19-11-2015, 09:34 PM
(19-11-2015 08:07 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 06:31 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Don't kill your best friend in order to claim his wife as your own.

I hope you realize that you are actually rationalizing this story...... and that's not a good thing.

Good people will do good things, and bad people will do bad things. But for good people to do bad things -- that takes religion.
-- Steven Weinberg
What causes bad people to do good things? If someone does something bad that makes him a bad person? If someone does something good that makes him a good person?
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
19-11-2015, 09:37 PM
(19-11-2015 09:34 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  What causes bad people to do good things?

Oprah

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-11-2015, 09:38 PM
I am surprised that nobody has brought up Job.
19-11-2015, 09:57 PM
(19-11-2015 09:38 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I am surprised that nobody has brought up Job.

Because that was God teaching us a lesson that bad things happen--we may not know why the bad things happen. And the bad things may really suck, but God has his reasons for things even if we don't understand what they are.

At least, that's how my pastor would have spun it. Wink
19-11-2015, 10:10 PM
(19-11-2015 09:34 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 08:07 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I hope you realize that you are actually rationalizing this story...... and that's not a good thing.

-- Steven Weinberg
What causes bad people to do good things? If someone does something bad that makes him a bad person? If someone does something good that makes him a good person?

Define "bad person."

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
- Paul Dirac
19-11-2015, 10:12 PM
(19-11-2015 09:38 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I am surprised that nobody has brought up Job.

Well, we could have just as easily brought up god punishing Pharaoh for Abe Lying to him about Sarah. If we had brought up all the nasty stuff YHWY has done or commanded to be done, that would be a pretty long thread.

And Job is just a metaphor. Tongue

- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
20-11-2015, 12:17 AM
(19-11-2015 09:34 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 08:07 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I hope you realize that you are actually rationalizing this story...... and that's not a good thing.

-- Steven Weinberg

Red herring wrapped in a non sequitur. Well done. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-11-2015, 10:24 AM

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post