Judges 1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2015, 04:44 PM (This post was last modified: 20-11-2015 04:54 PM by jason_delisle.)
RE: Judges 1
(20-11-2015 02:23 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 02:17 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Why shouldn't he?

Why shouldn't he have David's wives raped and his baby killed for David's sin?? You're kidding right? You can't call yourself "just" and "loving" and then do that. That is not just or loving.
Have you ever read 2 Samuel 11 and 12?
If so, you may want to reread it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2015, 04:46 PM
(20-11-2015 03:06 PM)julep Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 02:23 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Why shouldn't he have David's wives raped and his baby killed for David's sin?? You're kidding right? You can't call yourself "just" and "loving" and then do that. That is not just or loving.
Ways to teach life lessons: let's take "the burnt child feels the fire."
Competent parent: warn child about hazards of fire. Try to keep child out of touching range of fire until child understands. Treat wounds of child who gets burnt. Understand that most children will never need a personal burn to accept concept that fire can burn them.
Sadistic parent: warn child. Build fire, place child next to it. Place child's favorite toy on other side of fire. If child burns self, laugh scornfully and say that'll larn ya.
God: warn child. Contrive fire near child. Notice child committing thought crime of considering fire pretty, wondering what it would feel like. Throw child's mother in fire and have her burn to death in front of child. Inform child that mother's death is his fault and intended to teach him a lesson. The lesson not having to do with avoiding fire, though: the lesson is di what God says so you don't make him angry.

Funny what an awful teacher God turned out to be.
Citation please.
20-11-2015, 04:54 PM
(20-11-2015 02:17 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 12:41 PM)jennybee Wrote:  What's the lesson then? Why would a *loving* God do such a thing?
Why shouldn't he?

Because it's not loving. This is not a difficult concept, unless you jettison reason.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-11-2015, 04:56 PM
(20-11-2015 04:46 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 03:06 PM)julep Wrote:  Ways to teach life lessons: let's take "the burnt child feels the fire."
Competent parent: warn child about hazards of fire. Try to keep child out of touching range of fire until child understands. Treat wounds of child who gets burnt. Understand that most children will never need a personal burn to accept concept that fire can burn them.
Sadistic parent: warn child. Build fire, place child next to it. Place child's favorite toy on other side of fire. If child burns self, laugh scornfully and say that'll larn ya.
God: warn child. Contrive fire near child. Notice child committing thought crime of considering fire pretty, wondering what it would feel like. Throw child's mother in fire and have her burn to death in front of child. Inform child that mother's death is his fault and intended to teach him a lesson. The lesson not having to do with avoiding fire, though: the lesson is di what God says so you don't make him angry.

Funny what an awful teacher God turned out to be.
Citation please.

Citation for what? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-11-2015, 05:14 PM
(20-11-2015 04:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 04:46 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Citation please.

Citation for what? Consider
I was under the impression that "the burnt child feel the fire" was a thing I never heard about.
20-11-2015, 05:17 PM
(20-11-2015 04:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 02:17 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Why shouldn't he?

Because it's not loving. This is not a difficult concept, unless you jettison reason.
If a parent disciplines their child are they not showing love even though the child is suffering because of it?

Second, the use of 2 samuel 11 and 12 was taken out of context.
20-11-2015, 05:28 PM
Judges 1
I had to reread 2 Samuel 11 & 12, as it's been a while.

So... David acts like a spoiled rich shit, knocks up a married woman, gets to say "Oops I fucked up," YHWH kills the kid after a week of suffering, and Bathsheba gets to bear him a replacement kid?
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
20-11-2015, 05:34 PM
At work.

(20-11-2015 05:17 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  If a parent disciplines their child are they not showing love even though the child is suffering because of it?

First; I am glad you're still about. Hug

Second; The above idea about 'Discipline' as used in this context, followed by 'Loving' is incoherent.

Disciplining a child AFTER the action? (Of course, totally depending upon the actions leading up to said events.) Is ever rarely the results of 'Love'.

Wish I had more time to elaborate.
[+] 3 users Like Peebothuhul's post
20-11-2015, 05:42 PM
(20-11-2015 05:14 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 04:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  Citation for what? Consider
I was under the impression that "the burnt child feel the fire" was a thing I never heard about.

My apologies for my phone's correction of the aphorism, which should have read "the burnt child fears the fire."
However, I fear the bible is chock full of examples of god's unfortunate and incompetent methods for educating humanity.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
20-11-2015, 05:43 PM
(20-11-2015 05:28 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  I had to reread 2 Samuel 11 & 12, as it's been a while.

So... David acts like a spoiled rich shit, knocks up a married woman, gets to say "Oops I fucked up," YHWH kills the kid after a week of suffering, and Bathsheba gets to bear him a replacement kid?
That is a loose way of saying it, but yes.