Judges 1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2015, 02:08 PM
RE: Judges 1
(19-11-2015 12:53 PM)Alla Wrote:  Those people had different mentality.
We don't understand them, they wouldn't understand us.
We can't judge those people. We never lived in their world.

Alla brings up a good point.

These were archaic means for an archaic age.

Since then we've moved on from these times. Many of these old ideas and stories can be nothing more then a dark time in human history. Which is why we should throw out these old ideas. And use methods, that are more humane and more reasonable then the times when they thought giants, talking animals, and ghost where real.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
19-11-2015, 02:11 PM
Oh and...

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
19-11-2015, 02:19 PM
(19-11-2015 02:08 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  

Alla brings up a good point.

These were archaic means for an archaic age.

Since then we've moved on from these times. Many of these old ideas and stories can be nothing more then a dark time in human history. Which is why we should throw out these old ideas. And use methods, that are more humane and more reasonable then the times when they thought giants, talking animals, and ghost where real.

....and people walking on water and surviving their own death. You forgot that part. Big Grin

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
19-11-2015, 02:23 PM

Said the religionist who claims morality emenates from her god, who, BTW, never changes. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
19-11-2015, 02:35 PM
(19-11-2015 12:42 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I may have mentioned that three of us have undertaken the task of reading the Bible from cover to cover. We’re still in the OT and while it is full of barbaric acts today I came across one I had never heard of before.

(1:6) But Adoni-bezek fled; and they pursued after him, and caught him, and cut off his thumbs and his great toes.[/i]

"That's a novel treatment of a prisoner. The aim is apparently to make it so that he can’t take up arms or flee but it seems more sadistic than reasonable (see http://biblehub.com/judges/1-6.htm).”

[i](1:7) And Adoni-bezek said, Threescore and ten kings, having their thumbs and their great toes cut off, gathered [their meat] under my table: as I have done, so God hath requited me. And they brought him to Jerusalem, and there he died.

I don’t even...

http://curiousjew.blogspot.com/2008/11/toes-thumbs.html
Have you gotten to the part where one of the judges guts a fat king and watches his entrails spill?
19-11-2015, 02:37 PM
(19-11-2015 12:58 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 12:56 PM)jennybee Wrote:  If they meant huge dicks they would have said hung like donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses like they did in Ezekiel Tongue

You're forgetting that Judges was likely written during the era of the Kings, while Ezekiel was written by the priests in the Babylonian exile centuries later. Language changes, my friend. Never forget that. Language changes.

Drinking Beverage
Judges was written in a time where there were no Jewish kings yet. They don't get their first king until the book of Samuel where he Saul is anointed.
19-11-2015, 02:40 PM
(19-11-2015 02:37 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 12:58 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  You're forgetting that Judges was likely written during the era of the Kings, while Ezekiel was written by the priests in the Babylonian exile centuries later. Language changes, my friend. Never forget that. Language changes.

Drinking Beverage
Judges was written in a time where there were no Jewish kings yet. They don't get their first king until the book of Samuel where he Saul is anointed.

Judges is about a time when there were no Jewish Kings yet. I suspect it was written much later than that time.
19-11-2015, 02:41 PM
(19-11-2015 02:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

Said the religionist who claims morality emenates from her god, who, BTW, never changes. Facepalm
I would argue that a lot of the old testament was to be written for historical purposes. Some of the terrible things that were done were mentioned not because it was God approved but rather because it was the reality of war during the time.
19-11-2015, 02:46 PM
(19-11-2015 01:13 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 12:55 PM)Ace Wrote:  when I saw the title I was expecting the iron chariots

Me too.

The iron chariots have already come up a few times previous to Judges, so that was nothing new. The thumbs and toes business was new to us.

Even better, in the last chapter of Joshua, they used a stone as a witness to their covenant, because "it hath heard the words of the Lord". Now that is a hilarious concept.
19-11-2015, 02:57 PM
(19-11-2015 02:37 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 12:58 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  You're forgetting that Judges was likely written during the era of the Kings, while Ezekiel was written by the priests in the Babylonian exile centuries later. Language changes, my friend. Never forget that. Language changes.

Drinking Beverage

There's a huge difference between when the "stories" allegedly took place and when they were written. I'm surprised you don't know the difference. Or do you think Adam and Eve wrote Genesis 1-3?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel