Judges 1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2015, 02:58 PM
RE: Judges 1
(19-11-2015 02:41 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 02:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Said the religionist who claims morality emenates from her god, who, BTW, never changes. Facepalm
I would argue that a lot of the old testament was to be written for historical purposes. Some of the terrible things that were done were mentioned not because it was God approved but rather because it was the reality of war during the time.

Why would God allow that to be in His book if He didn't approve of it?

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
(19-11-2015 02:35 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 12:42 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I may have mentioned that three of us have undertaken the task of reading the Bible from cover to cover. We’re still in the OT and while it is full of barbaric acts today I came across one I had never heard of before.

(1:6) But Adoni-bezek fled; and they pursued after him, and caught him, and cut off his thumbs and his great toes.[/i]

"That's a novel treatment of a prisoner. The aim is apparently to make it so that he can’t take up arms or flee but it seems more sadistic than reasonable (see http://biblehub.com/judges/1-6.htm).”

[i](1:7) And Adoni-bezek said, Threescore and ten kings, having their thumbs and their great toes cut off, gathered [their meat] under my table: as I have done, so God hath requited me. And they brought him to Jerusalem, and there he died.

I don’t even...

http://curiousjew.blogspot.com/2008/11/toes-thumbs.html
Have you gotten to the part where one of the judges guts a fat king and watches his entrails spill?

That's my favorite story! Ehud, the left-handed warrior!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
(19-11-2015 02:41 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 02:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Said the religionist who claims morality emenates from her god, who, BTW, never changes. Facepalm
I would argue that a lot of the old testament was to be written for historical purposes. Some of the terrible things that were done were mentioned not because it was God approved but rather because it was the reality of war during the time.

But their war god was leading them, and who they thanked for their victories.

I read entrails, BTW. I'm a certified entrail reader ... really. Big Grin

Seriously, the OT was ALL political. The ethics of the day got written into the Bible, not given FROM the BIble ...so I don't really find this sort of ethical discussion of much use. http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ble-Bull-s

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-11-2015, 03:06 PM
A "record of history" that includes barbarity doesn't mean that was acceptable behavior. It means it happened. And in the case of the Bible, it means it wasn't acceptable to the people surrounding the Hebrews, it means their deity commanded it.

Since the OT deity seems to place a high premium on being different from the peoples around them, ie., circumcision, Sabbath-keeping, and dietary laws, it makes zero sense that this same OT deity is okay with using the war tactics of the "heathens." Oh wait, it totally makes sense because in this case, the OT deity is a Cannaanite war god named YHWH Sabaoth "Lord of Armies". It is to be expected that worship of a minor, violence-based deity is going to include removing the big dicks of your opponents.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
19-11-2015, 03:32 PM
(19-11-2015 03:06 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  A "record of history" that includes barbarity doesn't mean that was acceptable behavior. It means it happened. And in the case of the Bible, it means it wasn't acceptable to the people surrounding the Hebrews, it means their deity commanded it.

Since the OT deity seems to place a high premium on being different from the peoples around them, ie., circumcision, Sabbath-keeping, and dietary laws, it makes zero sense that this same OT deity is okay with using the war tactics of the "heathens." Oh wait, it totally makes sense because in this case, the OT deity is a Cannaanite war god named YHWH Sabaoth "Lord of Armies". It is to be expected that worship of a minor, violence-based deity is going to include removing the big dicks of your opponents.
How is the old testament not a "record of history"?

Btw... I know many of you think the bible is a made up fairy tale. I am just waiting for the explosion of responses.😀
19-11-2015, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2015 03:43 PM by Full Circle.)
(19-11-2015 03:32 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  How is the old testament not a “record of history"?

Btw... I know many of you think the bible is a made up fairy tale. I am just waiting for the explosion of responses.

I think you are mistaken, all of us here believe it is historical and accurate in every way! Yes Wink

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
19-11-2015, 03:39 PM
(19-11-2015 03:39 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  [quote='jason_delisle' pid='899607' dateline='1447968732']

Btw... I know many of you think the bible is a made up fairy tale. I am just waiting for the explosion of responses.
?
19-11-2015, 03:41 PM
(19-11-2015 03:39 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 03:39 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  [quote='jason_delisle' pid='899607' dateline='1447968732']

?

I was writing my sarcastic response when a lightning bolt came down and we momentarily lost power...Consider

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
19-11-2015, 03:48 PM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2015 03:54 PM by Erxomai.)

~Izel
19-11-2015, 03:48 PM
(19-11-2015 03:41 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 03:39 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  ?

I was writing my sarcastic response when a lightning bolt came down and we momentarily lost power...Consider
Lol. See God is at work!