Judges 1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2015, 03:50 PM
RE: Judges 1
(19-11-2015 03:32 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 03:06 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  A "record of history" that includes barbarity doesn't mean that was acceptable behavior. It means it happened. And in the case of the Bible, it means it wasn't acceptable to the people surrounding the Hebrews, it means their deity commanded it.

Since the OT deity seems to place a high premium on being different from the peoples around them, ie., circumcision, Sabbath-keeping, and dietary laws, it makes zero sense that this same OT deity is okay with using the war tactics of the "heathens." Oh wait, it totally makes sense because in this case, the OT deity is a Cannaanite war god named YHWH Sabaoth "Lord of Armies". It is to be expected that worship of a minor, violence-based deity is going to include removing the big dicks of your opponents.
How is the old testament not a "record of history"?

Btw... I know many of you think the bible is a made up fairy tale. I am just waiting for the explosion of responses.

It is demonstrably not a history. It may have some facts in it, but those are outweighed by nonsense.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2015, 03:50 PM
(19-11-2015 03:48 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 03:41 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I was writing my sarcastic response when a lightning bolt came down and we momentarily lost power...Consider
Lol. See God is at work!

I thought lightning bolts were Zeus' thing?

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
19-11-2015, 03:51 PM
(19-11-2015 03:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 03:32 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  How is the old testament not a "record of history"?

Btw... I know many of you think the bible is a made up fairy tale. I am just waiting for the explosion of responses.

It is demonstrably not a history. It may have some facts in it, but those are outweighed by nonsense.

Killjoy. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
19-11-2015, 03:52 PM

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
19-11-2015, 03:53 PM
(19-11-2015 03:48 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 03:41 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I was writing my sarcastic response when a lightning bolt came down and we momentarily lost power...Consider
Lol. See God is at work!

Thought you might appreciate that.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
19-11-2015, 03:53 PM
(19-11-2015 03:50 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 03:48 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Lol. See God is at work!

I thought lightning bolts were Zeus' thing?
Only when he is drunk. Never give that man Fireball Whiskey. He has been sober for the last few thousand years which is why you haven't seen much from him. Unless he just had a relapse.
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
19-11-2015, 03:56 PM
Posting issues are frustrating issues.

If it were an accurate history, then where are the historical references? The Torah purports to be a 4,000-ish year history, but there is not one shred of archaeological evidence for anything that happens from Genesis to 2nd Samuel. If there was a Methuselah, where is his poetry and pottery made over a 900 year existence? If there was a Noah, where's his flood? If there was an Abraham, Isaac, Jacob...? A Joseph surely shows up in the Egyptian records, right? Wrong. Contrary to Ben Carson, Joseph and the Hebrews did not build the pyramids. If there was a Moses who lead a mass exodus of approximately 1 million people, where are their campsites in the arid Sinai? There isn't one tent stake. Not one horse's bridle. Not one water jug. A million people can't spend 40 years in one geographical area without leaving some trace. The Promised Land? Yeah, wars leveled some of the walled cities, but archaeology shows these cities, like Jericho and Ai were razed decades and even centuries apart...not like some campaign run by a Joshua type. Also, the remains of these city-states show the fall came from within due to social revolution, not by some invading horde of ex-slaves from Egypt. Don't get me started on the lack of information about King David and Solomon and the kings to follow. No. History is verifiable. There are known sources and there is archaeology. And guess what? These things exist for peoples who predate the Hebrews. But they don't exist for YHWH's Elect.

~Izel
19-11-2015, 04:01 PM
(19-11-2015 02:58 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 02:41 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I would argue that a lot of the old testament was to be written for historical purposes. Some of the terrible things that were done were mentioned not because it was God approved but rather because it was the reality of war during the time.

Why would God allow that to be in His book if He didn't approve of it?

Jason, Jenny raises an excellent point. If the bible, regardless of which testament, is the word of god, that word should give us insight to his character. If this is not in his character, then why would he have allowed such things into his word that make it look like he approves (or certainly scold of he didn't approve)? Just like Elisha and the bears. It never says that god sent them. But if he didn't, then why is it in there in such a way that looks like he did? If he did, then that was a terrible and immoral thing to do. If he is indeed caring, there are better ways to show it. If I can think of better ways, then surely something more powerful that I could as well.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
19-11-2015, 04:09 PM
(19-11-2015 04:01 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 02:58 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Why would God allow that to be in His book if He didn't approve of it?

Jason, Jenny raises an excellent point. If the bible, regardless of which testament, is the word of god, that word should give us insight to his character. If this is not in his character, then why would he have allowed such things into his word that make it look like he approves (or certainly scold of he didn't approve)? Just like Elisha and the bears. It never says that god sent them. But if he didn't, then why is it in there in such a way that looks like he did? If he did, then that was a terrible and immoral thing to do. If he is indeed caring, there are better ways to show it. If I can think of better ways, then surely something more powerful that I could as well.
Some would argue that unless it states "Thus says the Lord" it is not a command from God.
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
19-11-2015, 04:11 PM
(19-11-2015 04:09 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 04:01 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Jason, Jenny raises an excellent point. If the bible, regardless of which testament, is the word of god, that word should give us insight to his character. If this is not in his character, then why would he have allowed such things into his word that make it look like he approves (or certainly scold of he didn't approve)? Just like Elisha and the bears. It never says that god sent them. But if he didn't, then why is it in there in such a way that looks like he did? If he did, then that was a terrible and immoral thing to do. If he is indeed caring, there are better ways to show it. If I can think of better ways, then surely something more powerful that I could as well.
Some would argue that unless it states "Thus says the Lord" it is not a command from God.

Then the Bible is not the inspired word of God? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post