Judges 1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2015, 05:19 PM
RE: Judges 1
(19-11-2015 04:20 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 04:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  Then the Bible is not the inspired word of God? Consider
I believe that everything is in the bible for a purpose but that does not mean that everything in the bible was condoned by God. Does that make sense? If not I can try to explain.

You mean like every shit I take is for a purpose but not all my shits are the elusive holy no-wipe necessary shits?

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-11-2015, 05:20 PM
(19-11-2015 05:19 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 04:20 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I believe that everything is in the bible for a purpose but that does not mean that everything in the bible was condoned by God. Does that make sense? If not I can try to explain.

You mean like every shit I take is for a purpose but not all my shits are the elusive holy no-wipe necessary shits?
Exactly!
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
19-11-2015, 05:24 PM
(19-11-2015 05:18 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 04:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, it doesn't actually make any sense. It sounds like typical apologist crap.
I am going to make a feeble attempt to explain. Let's say that there was Jew named Bob in the bible and Bob was a prophet in the old testament. Bob says "Nobody shall leave the toilet seat up and allow their wives to fall in. Thus says the Lord" In this case the words are not his own. They are the words of God and Bob is simply sending the message.

Now let's say that Bob was not a prophet but there is a scripture that says. "Bob awoke early the next morning to the horrific screams of his wife, Betty. Betty was upset because Bob forgot to put the toilet seat down. Betty then left Bob and took the kids. Bob then married a woman named Sue. They then had a son named Bobby. Bobby then eventually became the next King of Israel." Bob 7:3-6

Now in this example, if we were to assume that "God would never allow anything to be in the bible if he did not condone it", the fictional scripture would say that leaving the toilet seat up is a sin and it is acceptable to get a divorce as a result. But is that really why it is in the bible? Or is it rather in the bible to historically explain why Bobby is the son of Bob and Sue not the son of Bob and Betty.

I believe this is where I do not agree with some of the interpretations of Christian fundamentalists because they are more inclined to believe the first assumption.

Did this amusing example help explain my point of view?

No. Drinking Beverage

Explain how talking snakes and donkeys, world floods, nine hundred year old men, giants, a woman turning into a pillar of salt, a man cursing a fig tree, and so on are an accurate history.

It is neither inspired nor history.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-11-2015, 05:29 PM
(19-11-2015 05:18 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I am going to make a feeble attempt to explain. Let's say that there was Jew named Bob in the bible and Bob was a prophet in the old testament. Bob says "Nobody shall leave the toilet seat up and allow their wives to fall in. Thus says the Lord" In this case the words are not his own. They are the words of God and Bob is simply sending the message.

Now let's say that Bob was not a prophet but there is a scripture that says. "Bob awoke early the next morning to the horrific screams of his wife, Betty. Betty was upset because Bob forgot to put the toilet seat down. Betty then left Bob and took the kids. Bob then married a woman named Sue. They then had a son named Bobby. Bobby then eventually became the next King of Israel." Bob 7:3-6

Now in this example, if we were to assume that "God would never allow anything to be in the bible if he did not condone it", the fictional scripture would say that leaving the toilet seat up is a sin and it is acceptable to get a divorce as a result. But is that really why it is in the bible? Or is it rather in the bible to historically explain why Bobby is the son of Bob and Sue not the son of Bob and Betty.

You do realize that Bob and Sue consider the content of your post blasphemous. Yes? ... And I swear Bob don't know anybody named Betty.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-11-2015, 05:40 PM
So the lesson is "Don't upset Betty, or your kid will go to Israel and become king ?"

K then. Unsure
Thank you Rev.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-11-2015, 05:41 PM
(19-11-2015 05:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So the lesson is "Don't upset Betty, or your kid will go to Israel and become a king ?"

K then. Unsure

I swear to God Sue, I don't know anybody named Betty.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-11-2015, 05:45 PM
(19-11-2015 05:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 05:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So the lesson is "Don't upset Betty, or your kid will go to Israel and become a king ?"

K then. Unsure

I swear to God Sue, I don't know anybody named Betty.

Care to rephrase your answer? Drinking Beverage
[Image: img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=8596429]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
19-11-2015, 05:46 PM
(19-11-2015 05:18 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 04:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, it doesn't actually make any sense. It sounds like typical apologist crap.
I am going to make a feeble attempt to explain. Let's say that there was Jew named Bob in the bible and Bob was a prophet in the old testament. Bob says "Nobody shall leave the toilet seat up and allow their wives to fall in. Thus says the Lord" In this case the words are not his own. They are the words of God and Bob is simply sending the message.

I believe this is where I do not agree with some of the interpretations of Christian fundamentalists because they are more inclined to believe the first assumption.

Did this amusing example help explain my point of view?

I see what you are trying to get at but:
A) most things in the bible that christians believe is commanded are from Paul who, to my, knowledge very rarely ever said anything like this.
B) this is NOT how the real world functions
C) how do you know that unless "thus sayeth the lord" or something like that is written is actually what god really wants? I am not aware of some sort of rubrick in the bible that spells this out clearly.
D) since jesus never claims to be god in 3/4 of the gospels, why does that claim in John trump 3/4 of earlier testimony?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
19-11-2015, 05:47 PM
(19-11-2015 05:29 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 05:18 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I am going to make a feeble attempt to explain. Let's say that there was Jew named Bob in the bible and Bob was a prophet in the old testament. Bob says "Nobody shall leave the toilet seat up and allow their wives to fall in. Thus says the Lord" In this case the words are not his own. They are the words of God and Bob is simply sending the message.

You do realize that Bob and Sue consider the content of your post blasphemous. Yes? ... And I swear Bob don't know anybody named Betty.
Bob doesn't like to talk about her. Still has a lot of resentment for taking the kids. So it doesn't surprise me that he has never mentioned her.
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
19-11-2015, 05:48 PM
(19-11-2015 05:47 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 05:29 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You do realize that Bob and Sue consider the content of your post blasphemous. Yes? ... And I swear Bob don't know anybody named Betty.
Bob doesn't like to talk about here. Still has a lot of resentment for taking the kids. So it doesn't surprise me that he has never mentioned her.

It's ok. They probably mouthed off to daddy and were stoned.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post