Judges 1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2015, 05:55 PM
RE: Judges 1
(19-11-2015 05:45 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 05:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I swear to God Sue, I don't know anybody named Betty.

Care to rephrase your answer? Drinking Beverage
[Image: img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=8596429]

I swear to God Sue, I never fucked anybody named Betty. ... there might've been a Patty or a Peggie or some such, but no Betty.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
19-11-2015, 05:57 PM
(19-11-2015 05:55 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 05:45 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Care to rephrase your answer? Drinking Beverage
[Image: img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=8596429]

I swear to God Sue, I never fucked anybody named Betty. ... there might've been a Patty or a Peggie or some such, but no Betty.

So you have been Pegged? No surprises here.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
19-11-2015, 06:00 PM
(19-11-2015 05:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 05:18 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I am going to make a feeble attempt to explain. Let's say that there was Jew named Bob in the bible and Bob was a prophet in the old testament. Bob says "Nobody shall leave the toilet seat up and allow their wives to fall in. Thus says the Lord" In this case the words are not his own. They are the words of God and Bob is simply sending the message.

Now let's say that Bob was not a prophet but there is a scripture that says. "Bob awoke early the next morning to the horrific screams of his wife, Betty. Betty was upset because Bob forgot to put the toilet seat down. Betty then left Bob and took the kids. Bob then married a woman named Sue. They then had a son named Bobby. Bobby then eventually became the next King of Israel." Bob 7:3-6

Now in this example, if we were to assume that "God would never allow anything to be in the bible if he did not condone it", the fictional scripture would say that leaving the toilet seat up is a sin and it is acceptable to get a divorce as a result. But is that really why it is in the bible? Or is it rather in the bible to historically explain why Bobby is the son of Bob and Sue not the son of Bob and Betty.

I believe this is where I do not agree with some of the interpretations of Christian fundamentalists because they are more inclined to believe the first assumption.

Did this amusing example help explain my point of view?

No. Drinking Beverage

Explain how talking snakes and donkeys, world floods, nine hundred year old men, giants, a woman turning into a pillar of salt, a man cursing a fig tree, and so on are an accurate history.

It is neither inspired nor history.
What do you mean talking donkeys and snakes are not historical?

[Image: bbae7e9c31bf6525d8ccf02f964613a2.jpg]

[Image: 8d2f1a348698cee77599e4f3fb6ae051.jpg]

Seriously though. Have you noticed that almost all of those examples have no witnesses other than the person who experienced them? Food for thought. Drinking Beverage
19-11-2015, 06:02 PM
(19-11-2015 12:49 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Yeah, that's a pretty bad one. In my bible commentary it says the cutting off of thumbs and toes was done so prisoners could never become warriors again and instead would live the life of beggars (Walton/Matthews/Chavalas).

Only 200 years ago in Alabama they chopped off a slave's foot if he ran away once so he couldn't do so again. It probably cut down on the amount fo cotton he could pciktoo, but better than running away again!
19-11-2015, 06:04 PM
(19-11-2015 06:00 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Seriously though. Have you noticed that almost all of those examples have no witnesses other than the person who experienced them? Food for thought. Drinking Beverage

Do you realize you refuted much of the bible with this statement? Food for thought.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
- Paul Dirac
[+] 6 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
19-11-2015, 06:09 PM
(19-11-2015 02:35 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 12:42 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I may have mentioned that three of us have undertaken the task of reading the Bible from cover to cover. We’re still in the OT and while it is full of barbaric acts today I came across one I had never heard of before.

(1:6) But Adoni-bezek fled; and they pursued after him, and caught him, and cut off his thumbs and his great toes.[/i]

"That's a novel treatment of a prisoner. The aim is apparently to make it so that he can’t take up arms or flee but it seems more sadistic than reasonable (see http://biblehub.com/judges/1-6.htm).”

[i](1:7) And Adoni-bezek said, Threescore and ten kings, having their thumbs and their great toes cut off, gathered [their meat] under my table: as I have done, so God hath requited me. And they brought him to Jerusalem, and there he died.

I don’t even...

http://curiousjew.blogspot.com/2008/11/toes-thumbs.html
Have you gotten to the part where one of the judges guts a fat king and watches his entrails spill?

My favorite story in Judges is when a man comes back from war and promises God that the first animal that comes out to meet him when he gets home he will sacrifice, and it is his daughter that he gets to butcher for God! gReat stories in Judges!
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
19-11-2015, 06:12 PM
(19-11-2015 02:41 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 02:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Said the religionist who claims morality emenates from her god, who, BTW, never changes. Facepalm
I would argue that a lot of the old testament was to be written for historical purposes. Some of the terrible things that were done were mentioned not because it was God approved but rather because it was the reality of war during the time.

Huh? Read it. God demanded that they kill every man woman and child and beast in some of their epic battles. The reality of war was what God decided it should be according to the Babble!
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
19-11-2015, 06:13 PM
(19-11-2015 06:09 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 02:35 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Have you gotten to the part where one of the judges guts a fat king and watches his entrails spill?

My favorite story in Judges is when a man comes back from war and promises God that the first animal that comes out to meet him when he gets home he will sacrifice, and it is his daughter that he gets to butcher for God! gReat stories in Judges!

Jeptha. I don't think most christians have any idea about that one.

- Paul Dirac
19-11-2015, 06:15 PM
(19-11-2015 06:13 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 06:09 PM)DerFish Wrote:  My favorite story in Judges is when a man comes back from war and promises God that the first animal that comes out to meet him when he gets home he will sacrifice, and it is his daughter that he gets to butcher for God! gReat stories in Judges!

Jeptha. I don't think most christians have any idea about that one.

It's an allegory Hobo

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
19-11-2015, 06:16 PM
(19-11-2015 06:15 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 06:13 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Jeptha. I don't think most christians have any idea about that one.

It's an allegory Hobo

Like Jesus. Big Grin

- Paul Dirac