Judges 1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2015, 06:28 PM
RE: Judges 1
(19-11-2015 06:24 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 06:20 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Okay, but I'm still waiting for you to answer what lesson God was teaching when he had all of David's wives raped and his baby killed.

Jenny, Jenny. Those children received an infinite good. At least that is what WL Craig would say.

Hobo

What about David's wives who were raped by David's son as God commanded as *David's punishment*?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2015, 06:30 PM
Ok i had a whole thing written out tried to post it and I lost it. So i'm have to power phrase.

Your our favorite type of believer Jason. On that's not afraid to ask question. Take things into consideration, or give reasonable explanations for your opinion.

The bible is easily debunk. And can be shown on many, if not all accounts to be nothing more then a collective or verbal tails. No evidence of Noah flood, boat or other wise. No Evidence of talking animals, giants, or unicorns. No evidence of Moses or thousands of Jews leaving Egypt. The list goes on and on. The bible that most Americans have in their homes, has been alter on numerous occasions. Starting but not restricted to it's origins. Hundreds of years of verbal story telling. Written in a time and place when thousands of religions and cults mingled with each other. Hundreds of years of miss-translation, political additions, and subtractions. It's a mess in terms of good story telling.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
19-11-2015, 06:30 PM
(19-11-2015 04:20 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 04:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  Then the Bible is not the inspired word of God? Consider
I believe that everything is in the bible for a purpose but that does not mean that everything in the bible was condoned by God. Does that make sense? If not I can try to explain.

When it says that God Commanded his people to kill and rape and enslave, one should be able to assume that that God approved of those acts.
Der Fish
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
19-11-2015, 06:31 PM
(19-11-2015 06:20 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 06:18 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Can't cash? Well he did kill her so yeah he cashed that check alright. The problem is that people think that the collector is a nice guy when in fact he is a psychopath.

Okay, but I'm still waiting for you to answer what lesson God was teaching when he had all of David's wives raped and his baby killed.
Don't kill your best friend in order to claim his wife as your own.
19-11-2015, 06:32 PM
(19-11-2015 06:24 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 06:22 PM)DerFish Wrote:  How is the old testament not a "record of history"?

Btw... I know many of you think the bible is a made up fairy tale. I am just waiting for the explosion of responses.
Is it divine intervention that won't let this be posted? This is try #3. I don't think anyone believes the Babble is a made up fairy tale, but hundreds of them.
Miracles. ...there everywhereWinkSmile
19-11-2015, 06:33 PM
(19-11-2015 06:31 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 06:20 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Okay, but I'm still waiting for you to answer what lesson God was teaching when he had all of David's wives raped and his baby killed.
Don't kill your best friend in order to claim his wife as your own.

If God is just why have the wives raped and baby killed for David's sin? Why were the wives punished instead of David?
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
19-11-2015, 06:35 PM
(19-11-2015 05:18 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 04:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, it doesn't actually make any sense. It sounds like typical apologist crap.
I am going to make a feeble attempt to explain. Let's say that there was Jew named Bob in the bible and Bob was a prophet in the old testament. Bob says "Nobody shall leave the toilet seat up and allow their wives to fall in. Thus says the Lord" In this case the words are not his own. They are the words of God and Bob is simply sending the message.

Now let's say that Bob was not a prophet but there is a scripture that says. "Bob awoke early the next morning to the horrific screams of his wife, Betty. Betty was upset because Bob forgot to put the toilet seat down. Betty then left Bob and took the kids. Bob then married a woman named Sue. They then had a son named Bobby. Bobby then eventually became the next King of Israel." Bob 7:3-6

Now in this example, if we were to assume that "God would never allow anything to be in the bible if he did not condone it", the fictional scripture would say that leaving the toilet seat up is a sin and it is acceptable to get a divorce as a result. But is that really why it is in the bible? Or is it rather in the bible to historically explain why Bobby is the son of Bob and Sue not the son of Bob and Betty.

I believe this is where I do not agree with some of the interpretations of Christian fundamentalists because they are more inclined to believe the first assumption.

Did this amusing example help explain my point of view?

Not one damn bit. It is as much babble as a lot of things in the Babble though if that is what you were aiming at!
19-11-2015, 06:37 PM
(19-11-2015 06:24 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 06:22 PM)DerFish Wrote:  How is the old testament not a "record of history"?

Btw... I know many of you think the bible is a made up fairy tale. I am just waiting for the explosion of responses.
Is it divine intervention that won't let this be posted? This is try #3. I don't think anyone believes the Babble is a made up fairy tale, but hundreds of them.

Looks okay to me. Let's see what happens if I bump it. ...

#sigh
19-11-2015, 06:40 PM
(19-11-2015 05:46 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 05:18 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I am going to make a feeble attempt to explain. Let's say that there was Jew named Bob in the bible and Bob was a prophet in the old testament. Bob says "Nobody shall leave the toilet seat up and allow their wives to fall in. Thus says the Lord" In this case the words are not his own. They are the words of God and Bob is simply sending the message.

Now let's say that Bob was not a prophet but there is a scripture that says. "Bob awoke early the next morning to the horrific screams of his wife, Betty. Betty was upset because Bob forgot to put the toilet seat down. Betty then left Bob and took the kids. Bob then married a woman named Sue. They then had a son named Bobby. Bobby then eventually became the next King of Israel." Bob 7:3-6

Now in this example, if we were to assume that "God would never allow anything to be in the bible if he did not condone it", the fictional scripture would say that leaving the toilet seat up is a sin and it is acceptable to get a divorce as a result. But is that really why it is in the bible? Or is it rather in the bible to historically explain why Bobby is the son of Bob and Sue not the son of Bob and Betty.

I believe this is where I do not agree with some of the interpretations of Christian fundamentalists because they are more inclined to believe the first assumption.

Did this amusing example help explain my point of view?

I see what you are trying to get at but:
A) most things in the bible that christians believe is commanded are from Paul who, to my, knowledge very rarely ever said anything like this.
B) this is NOT how the real world functions
C) how do you know that unless "thus sayeth the lord" or something like that is written is actually what god really wants? I am not aware of some sort of rubrick in the bible that spells this out clearly.
D) since jesus never claims to be god in 3/4 of the gospels, why does that claim in John trump 3/4 of earlier testimony?

As I recall when the dozen asked him if he was the messiah he said don't go telling anyone that nonsense!
19-11-2015, 06:46 PM
(19-11-2015 05:48 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 05:47 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Bob doesn't like to talk about here. Still has a lot of resentment for taking the kids. So it doesn't surprise me that he has never mentioned her.

It's ok. They probably mouthed off to daddy and were stoned.

The girls were probably sold off as per God's rules.