Judiciary in Poland threatened.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2017, 02:25 AM
Judiciary in Poland threatened.
Law and Justice proposed the bill that would force judges of Supreme Court to retire. Well, except for those picked by Minister of Justice. More than that Minister will be able to choose their replacements. Bill will also allow creation of so called Disciplinary Chamber that will allow to end career of every lawyer deemed unfit by Minister.

Supreme Court is - obviously - last instance of judiciary branch and it decides the validity of elections. Coupled with other bills that already passed it will mean end of judiciary being independent body.

Here is article from Reuters and here is another one from Euractiv.

If for some strange reason some is interested in Polish language articles then they can be found here and here.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
14-07-2017, 02:32 AM
RE: Judiciary in Poland threatened.
Quote:he PiS party has brought the prosecutor's office and state media under direct government control. The new bill would further increase the powers of the justice minister, who would also oversee prosecutors.

Unsure

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
14-07-2017, 02:40 AM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2017 02:43 AM by Szuchow.)
(14-07-2017 02:32 AM)morondog Wrote:  
Quote:he PiS party has brought the prosecutor's office and state media under direct government control. The new bill would further increase the powers of the justice minister, who would also oversee prosecutors.

Unsure

Censored This is more appropriate reaction.

Or maybe gov should be reminded that USSR was not only a state but a dream that could be dreamt again in wrong circumstances.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
14-07-2017, 02:47 AM
What I don't get is, this looks just like a recipe for corruption. It's like they're announcing to the world "Hey, these rules make it hard to be fucking corrupt dickheads, so we're going to change the rules".

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
14-07-2017, 03:00 AM
(14-07-2017 02:47 AM)morondog Wrote:  What I don't get is, this looks just like a recipe for corruption. It's like they're announcing to the world "Hey, these rules make it hard to be fucking corrupt dickheads, so we're going to change the rules".

They don't care about world. And those part of world they care about aren't likely to condemn them, i.e. Trump America.

Thing is they're kinda right in not caring. What world will do? Some EU official will say bad Poland, bad again? It's of no consequence to authoritarian clowns thinking that they're in besieged fortress.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
17-07-2017, 02:03 AM
There is some opposition to Law and Justice attempted power grab but I'm afraid that it will be too insignificant to make gov back off.

I'm afraid that Poland will be another Russia soon and there isn't much that other countries can do to help. Maybe it's time to get out while it is still possible?

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
17-07-2017, 02:22 AM
This is to say the least very troubling.
19-07-2017, 01:29 AM
On Wednesday, Poland’s ruling party submitted a bill draft which would see the Supreme Court turned into a governmental tool – a clear attack on the principle of the separation of powers. The last parliamentary session of the season, where the bill will be voted on, opens today.

Mikhail Bakunin.
19-07-2017, 01:32 AM
Wow. What a load of shit Undecided

19-07-2017, 01:38 AM
(19-07-2017 01:32 AM)morondog Wrote:  Wow. What a load of shit Undecided

Just another step in Orbanization of the country which started road to authoritarianism long ago. This may be final one however, especially when coupled with other bills concerning judiciary.

Mikhail Bakunin.