Judiciary in Poland threatened.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2017, 01:44 AM
RE: Judiciary in Poland threatened.
(19-07-2017 01:38 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(19-07-2017 01:32 AM)morondog Wrote:  Wow. What a load of shit Undecided

Just another step in Orbanization of the country which started road to authoritarianism long ago. This may be final one however, especially when coupled with other bills concerning judiciary.

You're not alone. Lots of governments would *love* to be authoritarian. The most inconvenient thing for most of them is that people refuse to be obedient sheep. You can't be a corrupt evil ruler if there are checks and balances in place, so of course their first action is to claim that the checks and balances make their life difficult and must go.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
19-07-2017, 01:52 AM
(19-07-2017 01:44 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(19-07-2017 01:38 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Just another step in Orbanization of the country which started road to authoritarianism long ago. This may be final one however, especially when coupled with other bills concerning judiciary.

You're not alone. Lots of governments would *love* to be authoritarian. The most inconvenient thing for most of them is that people refuse to be obedient sheep. You can't be a corrupt evil ruler if there are checks and balances in place, so of course their first action is to claim that the checks and balances make their life difficult and must go.

Thing is that not many people here refuse to be obedient sheep. Also L&J have a steady voting base, iron electorate that will vote them no matter what.

What's happening isn't new - authoritarian rule of minority over majority is known in Poland since Commonwealth, even if rulers were nobles and subject peasants. Post WWI Poland slided into authoritarianism fast and was replaced by another authoritarian regime. Now after few years of so called freedom country just return to roots.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
19-07-2017, 03:01 AM
That's the shape of it Undecided

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
20-07-2017, 02:18 AM
Poland may be stripped of EU voting rights over judicial independence.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
20-07-2017, 02:51 AM
German newspaper title: "Polands politics descends into chaos" Weeping

How can so many people so readily accept (and obviously applaud) the breach of fundamental rules of checks and balances (namely all the voters for PiS)? I hope more people will hit the streets.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
20-07-2017, 03:17 AM
(20-07-2017 02:51 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  German newspaper title: "Polands politics descends into chaos" Weeping

More accurate title would be "Poland politics remains messy". It's not like said descent began now.

Quote:How can so many people so readily accept (and obviously applaud) the breach of fundamental rules of checks and balances (namely all the voters for PiS)?

You're writing with assumption that people care about check and balances or that they even know what check and balances are. PiS tells people that this blatant power grab is just a reform of faulty system (and system is faulty indeed) and enough of them believe/don't care for Kaczynski party getting away with it.

You also should keep in mind that judiciary isn't much liked there and authoritarian measures seemingly aren't frowned upon - tough sheriff act sells well.

Quote:I hope more people will hit the streets.

It's possible but I doubt that gov will back down.

Mikhail Bakunin.
21-07-2017, 01:42 AM
Autocracy wasn’t built in a day: How PiS build their regime bill by bill.

On July 20 afternoon, the Polish parliament voted to pass the bill: 235 to 192 with 23 abstentions. Unless President Duda will use his veto, the law will come into effect before the next legislative session.

Mikhail Bakunin.
21-07-2017, 01:57 AM
(21-07-2017 01:42 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Autocracy wasn’t built in a day: How PiS build their regime bill by bill.

On July 20 afternoon, the Polish parliament voted to pass the bill: 235 to 192 with 23 abstentions. Unless President Duda will use his veto, the law will come into effect before the next legislative session.

Even his claim that he would veto it looked pretty dodgy, more designed as theatrics than an actual concern about the law.

21-07-2017, 02:01 AM
(21-07-2017 01:57 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(21-07-2017 01:42 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Autocracy wasn’t built in a day: How PiS build their regime bill by bill.

Even his claim that he would veto it looked pretty dodgy, more designed as theatrics than an actual concern about the law.

He already said that he won't veto it if some nearly meaningless changes would be made. I suppose they weren't done but I doubt that paper signer in chief would do anything to piss of his boss. So in all probability we're looking on another authoritarian country in Europe.

Mikhail Bakunin.
25-07-2017, 01:00 AM
To everyone’s surprise, President Duda–who earned himself the nickname of Kaczynski’s “pen” or “notary” for his entirely submissive posture toward the head of Poland’s ruling political camp–stood up to his former party. He vetoed two of the laws passed by parliament, those concerning the National Court Register and the Supreme Court, and signed the third.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post