Judiciary in Poland threatened.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2017, 02:04 AM
RE: Judiciary in Poland threatened.
Although as the article mentions, the bills may still come back in some form, so it'll pay to be vigilant.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2017, 02:52 AM
(25-07-2017 01:00 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  To everyone’s surprise, President Duda–who earned himself the nickname of Kaczynski’s “pen” or “notary” for his entirely submissive posture toward the head of Poland’s ruling political camp–stood up to his former party. He vetoed two of the laws passed by parliament, those concerning the National Court Register and the Supreme Court, and signed the third.

And Pis immediately said, they wouldn't change the law. Seems like an impasse between government and president.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
25-07-2017, 02:53 AM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2017 03:24 AM by Deesse23.)
Latest news from yesterday evening showed Duda coming back (to a press conference) after talking to K.
Duda didnt talk about "veto" anymore, but about "altering" K.´s proposed law.

So, Poland will depart from checks and balances, just not 100% in the way K. intended it seems (or maybe it will, and Duda is only covering up in a formal way). In the end there seems to be no fundamental difference to me how exactly your authoritarian state looks like, or how exactly your parliament controls your supreme court. Its details only.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
25-07-2017, 03:00 AM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2017 03:03 AM by Szuchow.)
(25-07-2017 02:53 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Latest news from yesterday evening showed Duda coming back (to a press conference) after talking to K.
Duda didnt talk about "veto" anymore, but about "altering" K.´s proposed law.

So, Poland will depart from checks and balances, just not 100% in the way K. intended it seems (or maybe it will, and Duda is only covering up in a formal way). In the end there seems to fundamental difference to me how exactly your authoritarian state looks like, or how exactly your parliament controls your supreme court. Its details only.

Duda already said that he will veto the bill if his alterations aren't made. Seems he kept his word. But the thing is his alterations were mere cosmetics, so your diagnose is right - it's only details.

Guess we will know more in few days though I don't expect anything good. Also keep in mind that he vetoed two and signed third.

(25-07-2017 02:04 AM)morondog Wrote:  Although as the article mentions, the bills may still come back in some form, so it'll pay to be vigilant.

After Kaczyński outburst I don't expect clique he call his party to back off from their inane "reform" especially considering that judiciary isn't much popular in Poland.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
25-07-2017, 03:45 AM
(25-07-2017 01:00 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  To everyone’s surprise, President Duda–who earned himself the nickname of Kaczynski’s “pen” or “notary” for his entirely submissive posture toward the head of Poland’s ruling political camp–stood up to his former party. He vetoed two of the laws passed by parliament, those concerning the National Court Register and the Supreme Court, and signed the third.

Was it OnlineBiker who was looking for evidence of protests in the street having any effect?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
25-07-2017, 04:01 AM
(25-07-2017 03:45 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Was it OnlineBiker who was looking for evidence of protests in the street having any effect?

It may be only a temporary setback. The women's protest they had earlier was way more potent. The government had to back down completely.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
25-07-2017, 04:11 AM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2017 04:17 AM by Szuchow.)
(25-07-2017 04:01 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(25-07-2017 03:45 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Was it OnlineBiker who was looking for evidence of protests in the street having any effect?

It may be only a temporary setback. The women's protest they had earlier was way more potent. The government had to back down completely.

I think it is temporary setback, but other issue also wasn't put to rest definitely. Pro death fascists* strike back but this time it's member of party Kukiz'15 who try to further rob women of choice. Looks like this would be another failure from scant info I have but entire thing is troubling.

*Too harsh word perhaps but given that birth is more dangerous than legal abortion and plan is to rob woman of right to choice I find it adequate.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.