Jupiter Oribital Insertion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2016, 02:36 PM
Jupiter Oribital Insertion
This July 4th the most impressive fireworks won't be on Earth. The Juno probe will fire it's engines for 35 minutes to achieve orbital capture by Jupiter. Can't wait for the data to start coming back!

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 16 users Like Paleophyte's post
16-06-2016, 02:39 PM
RE: Jupiter Oribital Insertion
That's got to be one small rocket -- or they have a shitload of fuel on board...... 35 minutes is a long burn....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
16-06-2016, 02:57 PM
I hope they go to Uranus next so we can see a thread titled Uranus Insertion.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 18 users Like JDog554's post
16-06-2016, 04:04 PM
35 minutes of thrust......
[+] 8 users Like skyking's post
16-06-2016, 06:52 PM
(16-06-2016 02:39 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  That's got to be one small rocket -- or they have a shitload of fuel on board...... 35 minutes is a long burn....

The rocket isn't very powerful. 645 Newtons at full throttle. About enough thrust to allow your averga adult to hover on Earth. It can't accelerate rapidly because the solar array is very large and was deployed shortly after launch. Any rapid acceleration at this point would lead to Rapid Unplanned Disassembly.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 5 users Like Paleophyte's post
16-06-2016, 07:51 PM
(16-06-2016 06:52 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Any rapid acceleration at this point would lead to Rapid Unplanned Disassembly.

Yeah. I hear robots hate that.

[Image: eb6fd9219b0d612dd5b58c1581ca74fbaa1a754b...c9a4a4.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 7 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
17-06-2016, 05:32 AM
(16-06-2016 06:52 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 02:39 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  That's got to be one small rocket -- or they have a shitload of fuel on board...... 35 minutes is a long burn....

The rocket isn't very powerful. 645 Newtons at full throttle. About enough thrust to allow your averga adult to hover on Earth. It can't accelerate rapidly because the solar array is very large and was deployed shortly after launch. Any rapid acceleration at this point would lead to Rapid Unplanned Disassembly.

Ahh... OK ... that makes sense..... I'm surprised they use a solar array that far out instead of a small nuke reactor.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
17-06-2016, 03:44 PM
(17-06-2016 05:32 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 06:52 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  The rocket isn't very powerful. 645 Newtons at full throttle. About enough thrust to allow your averga adult to hover on Earth. It can't accelerate rapidly because the solar array is very large and was deployed shortly after launch. Any rapid acceleration at this point would lead to Rapid Unplanned Disassembly.

Ahh... OK ... that makes sense..... I'm surprised they use a solar array that far out instead of a small nuke reactor.....

Normally they do use RTGs for anything that far out but Juno uses solar. Since the sun's luminosity at Jupiter is only about 4% what it is here on Earth they have to use an enormous solar array. I'm not sure what the rationale for that was. The orbit has even been designed to avoid eclipses. Tricky enough with those over the pole elliptical dives to avoid the worst of the radiation but trying to avoid getting Jupiter between you and the sun when you need to be operating at full power must have been entertaining.

---
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
17-06-2016, 04:26 PM
(17-06-2016 03:44 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 05:32 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Ahh... OK ... that makes sense..... I'm surprised they use a solar array that far out instead of a small nuke reactor.....

Normally they do use RTGs for anything that far out but Juno uses solar. Since the sun's luminosity at Jupiter is only about 4% what it is here on Earth they have to use an enormous solar array. I'm not sure what the rationale for that was. The orbit has even been designed to avoid eclipses. Tricky enough with those over the pole elliptical dives to avoid the worst of the radiation but trying to avoid getting Jupiter between you and the sun when you need to be operating at full power must have been entertaining.

Probably because of the "anti nuke" backlash....

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
17-06-2016, 05:17 PM
(17-06-2016 03:44 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 05:32 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Ahh... OK ... that makes sense..... I'm surprised they use a solar array that far out instead of a small nuke reactor.....

There's been a shortage of plutonium for the RTGs for a while now due to assorted reasons. There will be more available in the future but for now when accepting submissions for mission proposals they have to specify if they need an RTG or not.

Hate the belief, love the believer.
[+] 4 users Like Elder Cunningham's post