Jupiter Oribital Insertion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2016, 07:02 PM
RE: Jupiter Oribital Insertion
(17-06-2016 05:17 PM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 03:44 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Normally they do use RTGs for anything that far out but Juno uses solar. Since the sun's luminosity at Jupiter is only about 4% what it is here on Earth they have to use an enormous solar array. I'm not sure what the rationale for that was. The orbit has even been designed to avoid eclipses. Tricky enough with those over the pole elliptical dives to avoid the worst of the radiation but trying to avoid getting Jupiter between you and the sun when you need to be operating at full power must have been entertaining.

There's been a shortage of plutonium for the RTGs for a while now due to assorted reasons. There will be more available in the future but for now when accepting submissions for mission proposals they have to specify if they need an RTG or not.

Really? Like what? They've been using RTGs since at lest the Apollo program and the Plutonium's a common waste product of any standard nuclear reactor. Is there problem with extraction or is DHS getting twitchy?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2016, 07:47 PM
(17-06-2016 07:02 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 05:17 PM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  There's been a shortage of plutonium for the RTGs for a while now due to assorted reasons. There will be more available in the future but for now when accepting submissions for mission proposals they have to specify if they need an RTG or not.

Really? Like what? They've been using RTGs since at lest the Apollo program and the Plutonium's a common waste product of any standard nuclear reactor. Is there problem with extraction or is DHS getting twitchy?

Blame Jimmy Carter.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...der-react/

Most Plutonium as waste comes from Fast Breeder Reactors. Plutonium is some really nasty shit, even compared to Uranium. Uranium you can treat as lead poisoning if it gets inside you (long half life), but Plutonium is gonna kill you, in microgram quantities.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
02-07-2016, 04:00 PM
I have not read all the rules yet, so I may get stabbed for this but, here is a link to NASA's Eyes. This will let you see the 'real time' journey of JUNO.

:link:

"They think, therefore I am" - god
[+] 4 users Like TechnoMonkey's post
02-07-2016, 05:27 PM
(02-07-2016 04:00 PM)TechnoMonkey Wrote:  I have not read all the rules yet, so I may get stabbed for this but, here is a link to NASA's Eyes. This will let you see the 'real time' journey of JUNO.

:link:

The rules are pretty simple but more or less boil down to "don't be a jackass". This post ^^^ is the opposite of a stabbing offense.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
02-07-2016, 05:28 PM
Some forums do not let newbies post links initially. I have, however, since read the forum rules.

"They think, therefore I am" - god
[+] 1 user Likes TechnoMonkey's post
03-07-2016, 03:40 PM
This is happening tomorrow. NASA TV coverage begins at 10:30 pm Eastern, 7:30 pm Pacific, 2:30 am on the 5th UT.

I'm looking for a watching party in Austin. No luck so far. Maybe I can convince a sports bar to turn one TV to NASA for a few hours. Most likely I'll just be glued to a tablet though.
03-07-2016, 06:17 PM
(16-06-2016 02:57 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I hope they go to Uranus next so we can see a thread titled Uranus Insertion.

That will be an even more delicate insertion. They will have to send a smaller probe in first to make entry better for both.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
04-07-2016, 02:14 AM
(03-07-2016 06:17 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 02:57 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I hope they go to Uranus next so we can see a thread titled Uranus Insertion.

That will be an even more delicate insertion. They will have to send a smaller probe in first to make entry better for both.

So, if I'm reading this right, you're saying that when on approach to Uranus, an insufficiently delicate insertion will lead to Rapid Unplanned Disassembly?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
04-07-2016, 08:34 AM
(04-07-2016 02:14 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(03-07-2016 06:17 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  That will be an even more delicate insertion. They will have to send a smaller probe in first to make entry better for both.

So, if I'm reading this right, you're saying that when on approach to Uranus, an insufficiently delicate insertion will lead to Rapid Unplanned Disassembly?

Or worse...... Rapid Evacuation.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
04-07-2016, 09:16 AM
(04-07-2016 08:34 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(04-07-2016 02:14 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  So, if I'm reading this right, you're saying that when on approach to Uranus, an insufficiently delicate insertion will lead to Rapid Unplanned Disassembly?

Or worse...... Rapid Evacuation.

Explosive decompression is never a pretty sight.

If NASA ever plans a probe of Uranus I'm sure the Republicans will defund it because it is an unnatural mission.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 7 users Like unfogged's post