Jupiter Oribital Insertion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2016, 11:28 PM
RE: Jupiter Oribital Insertion
(04-07-2016 10:26 PM)TechnoMonkey Wrote:  I had expected that they were going to orbit like a satellite rather than a comet. I am disappointed.

To get the craft as close to Jupiter as needed for the science, the orbit needed to be eccentric.
If the craft stayed in a close, more circular orbit the radiation would build up too quickly for the craft to survive to complete the data gathering.

It is (or was) being discussed in the post-insertion news conference.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
04-07-2016, 11:30 PM
(04-07-2016 10:26 PM)TechnoMonkey Wrote:  I had expected that they were going to orbit like a satellite rather than a comet. I am disappointed.

The spacecraft is definitely not in a cometary orbit. It isn't in an orbit like we would generally see around the earth, but then it isn't orbiting the earth.
Find all posts by this user
04-07-2016, 11:35 PM
Have you seen the projected orbit?

"They think, therefore I am" - god
05-07-2016, 02:33 AM
(04-07-2016 11:35 PM)TechnoMonkey Wrote:  Have you seen the projected orbit?

Scott Manley has a simple video which helps explain some things.

Basically (From my limilted understanding) the orbit is going 'Over the poles' hence Jupiter rotates underneath it and we get more science.

Second, the magnetic fields and radiation around Jupiter are HUMONGOUS (Oderously so) but they radiate out, awat from the planets equator. SO! The probe is going to 'thread' this donut. Swooping in down past the clouds of Jupiter thence flying high up and out away from the stupendously powerful belts of radiation and magnetized DOOOM!

(That whole post probably reads better if you can think it in a Scottish accent as well. Wink )

Thumbsup
05-07-2016, 02:36 AM
(04-07-2016 11:35 PM)TechnoMonkey Wrote:  Have you seen the projected orbit?

Scott Manley has a simple video which helps explain some things.

Basically (From my limilted understanding) the orbit is going 'Over the poles' hence Jupiter rotates underneath it and we get more science.

Second, the magnetic fields and radiation around Jupiter are HUMONGOUS (Oderously so) but they radiate out, awat from the planets equator. SO! The probe is going to 'thread' this donut. Swooping in down past the clouds of Jupiter thence flying high up and out away from the stupendously powerful belts of radiation and magnetized DOOOM!

(That whole post probably reads better if you can think it in a Scottish accent as well. Wink )

Thumbsup

DAMMIT double post. Can't delete from phone. Sad
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
05-07-2016, 06:31 AM
I fucking love science! And somebody at NASA can math!

"After a 1.7 billion mile journey, we hit our burn targets within one second, on a target that was just tens of kilometers large," said Nybakken. “That's how well the Juno spacecraft performed tonight."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/04/world/juno-jupiter-nasa/

[Image: 160705142348-juno-nasa-celebrate-exlarge-169.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
05-07-2016, 07:30 AM
(04-07-2016 09:55 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  They did it!!! Smile

And it looks like they didn't get any of Jupiter's ring dirty. Tongue

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
05-07-2016, 10:18 AM
(04-07-2016 11:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  

To get the craft as close to Jupiter as needed for the science, the orbit needed to be eccentric.
If the craft stayed in a close, more circular orbit the radiation would build up too quickly for the craft to survive to complete the data gathering.

It is (or was) being discussed in the post-insertion news conference.

Aside from being safer for the probe putting it in a more circular orbit would have required a lot more fuel and probably bigger engines to boot. To achieve a circular orbit they would have to actually slow the craft down as it approached Jupiter. All they did this time was decrease the acceleration by firing the engine for 35 minutes.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
05-07-2016, 12:55 PM
(05-07-2016 06:31 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  And somebody at NASA can math!

I would hope most of NASA can math.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
05-07-2016, 03:32 PM
(05-07-2016 12:55 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(05-07-2016 06:31 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  And somebody at NASA can math!

I would hope most of NASA can math.

True, but given the nature of calculating accelerating objects and orbital mechanics, especially at those kinds of distances (where the slightest off-angle can result in huge differences at the destination), it's some amazing math.

The three body problem is particularly difficult to calculate when you're not dealing with the gravitational attraction of the sun, earth, and moon, but of the numerous bodies around Jupiter, all exerting forces on the craft, and all of the other bodies that had to influence the craft on its journey (such as the gravity assist flyby of the Earth/Moon system in October of 2013).

To have hit the mark so closely that the craft's onboard nav computers only had to burn for an amount off by one second (out of a 35-minute burn) from pre-insertion predictions, after a journey like that... yeah.... NASA can math!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson