Jupiter Oribital Insertion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2016, 07:24 PM
RE: Jupiter Oribital Insertion
Accomplishments like this revive my pride in being human. I figure, if I have to feel shame for wars and atrocities committed by other humans, I can also feel some triumph in a feat of combined science, imagination, courage, and curiosity unlike anything else ever done, so far as we know. Even if all I did was watch an exciting fraction of it through a screen.

We ain't all bad, for a bunch of arrogant apes. Sometimes we're awesome in the true sense of the word.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like I Am's post
05-07-2016, 07:49 PM
And then we will discard the probe and start a new landfill on Jupiter. Smile

"They think, therefore I am" - god
05-07-2016, 08:37 PM
(05-07-2016 07:49 PM)TechnoMonkey Wrote:  And then we will discard the probe and start a new landfill on Jupiter. Smile

Jupiter is a gas planet so not sure how possible that would be lol

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
05-07-2016, 09:23 PM
(05-07-2016 08:37 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(05-07-2016 07:49 PM)TechnoMonkey Wrote:  And then we will discard the probe and start a new landfill on Jupiter. Smile

Jupiter is a gas planet so not sure how possible that would be lol

Dilution is the solution to pollution! Laugh out load (NOT!) If it weren't for the fact that the amount of money it takes to get stuff out of the earth's gravity well, that is a disposal method that would be viable. The best solution for pollution reduction is to not make it in the first place.

O/T- here in the California drought, when I go to take a shower, I run the water into a bucket until it is hot, shut it off, place the bucket on the floor, and take my shower. Next time the toilet gets used, that is the flushing water. I save at least 500 gallons of water a year that way; this is water that would normally have just gone down the drain. I've been doing it for decades.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
05-07-2016, 09:25 PM
(05-07-2016 03:32 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(05-07-2016 12:55 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I would hope most of NASA can math.

True, but given the nature of calculating accelerating objects and orbital mechanics, especially at those kinds of distances (where the slightest off-angle can result in huge differences at the destination), it's some amazing math.

The three body problem is particularly difficult to calculate when you're not dealing with the gravitational attraction of the sun, earth, and moon, but of the numerous bodies around Jupiter, all exerting forces on the craft, and all of the other bodies that had to influence the craft on its journey (such as the gravity assist flyby of the Earth/Moon system in October of 2013).

To have hit the mark so closely that the craft's onboard nav computers only had to burn for an amount off by one second (out of a 35-minute burn) from pre-insertion predictions, after a journey like that... yeah.... NASA can math!

They get a lot of help from the Southwest Research Institute. The Juno PI is a SwRI employee.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
08-07-2016, 07:06 AM
So when do we start to see some data/images? I am anxious to be in awe of the beauty of our universe!

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
08-07-2016, 07:57 AM
Look here.

"They think, therefore I am" - god
[+] 1 user Likes TechnoMonkey's post
08-07-2016, 08:57 AM
(08-07-2016 07:06 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  So when do we start to see some data/images? I am anxious to be in awe of the beauty of our universe!

I like images. Pictures. Data is good. But I want pictures. I am told those wont be forthcoming for a few months.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
08-07-2016, 10:32 AM
(05-07-2016 09:23 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(05-07-2016 08:37 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Jupiter is a gas planet so not sure how possible that would be lol

Dilution is the solution to pollution! Laugh out load (NOT!) If it weren't for the fact that the amount of money it takes to get stuff out of the earth's gravity well, that is a disposal method that would be viable. The best solution for pollution reduction is to not make it in the first place.

O/T- here in the California drought, when I go to take a shower, I run the water into a bucket until it is hot, shut it off, place the bucket on the floor, and take my shower. Next time the toilet gets used, that is the flushing water. I save at least 500 gallons of water a year that way; this is water that would normally have just gone down the drain. I've been doing it for decades.
Different application and reasoning with the same results:
I flush the RV toilet with captured cold in the shower, and the soapy dishwater too. I have one of those pink plastic basins and a bucket handy.
Back to the topic, I too am heartened by things like this space exploration. We can dream big, and do what can be done reasonably.
08-07-2016, 11:14 AM
(08-07-2016 10:32 AM)skyking Wrote:  
(05-07-2016 09:23 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Dilution is the solution to pollution! Laugh out load (NOT!) If it weren't for the fact that the amount of money it takes to get stuff out of the earth's gravity well, that is a disposal method that would be viable. The best solution for pollution reduction is to not make it in the first place.

Different application and reasoning with the same results:
I flush the RV toilet with captured cold in the shower, and the soapy dishwater too. I have one of those pink plastic basins and a bucket handy.
Back to the topic, I too am heartened by things like this space exploration. We can dream big, and do what can be done reasonably.

Agreed. We may find something new in space exploration that will provide even more benefit than what we have already realized.