Jury duty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2015, 09:03 PM
Jury duty
I just got dismissed from jury duty. They didn't want me. Sadcryface2 Has anyone here served on a trial that was interesting?

And I just learned that it wasn't until 1973, THAT'S 1973, that women could serve on a jury in all 50 states! Shocking

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
03-11-2015, 09:07 PM
RE: Jury duty
Closest I came was returning to the U.S. to find an 8 month old letter telling me I had jury duty. I guess they were able to make due without me Tongue

'Murican Canadian
03-11-2015, 09:17 PM
I've been called twice but was never picked for a trial.
It would have been a pain then, now that I have the time, I think it would be interesting.
03-11-2015, 09:36 PM
Nope and don't want to really.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
03-11-2015, 09:52 PM
I've only served one time, been called several more times but not had to go at the last minute. I enjoyed the case I served on, though. It involved a car accident and those injuries leading to work problems. What surprised me the most was the attorneys for both sides, who were kind of phoning it in. Admittedly it wasn't the most dramatic case, but I would have enjoyed more passion from the advocates on each side.
03-11-2015, 11:08 PM
I've served on a jury several times. As a reasoning human being, you owe it to the accused to be present for a jury, if you can help it. I've seen and heard some incredibly stupid things said during deliberations that I've had to bust people's chops over, rather than letting a criminal go/sending an innocent accused away for life. I do not claim to have the market cornered on reality, but there are a lot of people who will bring some kinds of alternate reality to the jury room, and I'd really like to think that those people would be countered by someone logical, if I were the accused.

My first trial was for murder, where the deceased was stabbed 66 times with a screwdriver. Gruesome, with all the gore. People on the jury were making up stories about it being drug related, despite there being absolutely no testimony regarding drug dealing.Facepalm Subsequent to that, I've served on others, with a similar observation that the system needs reasoning beings on juries. I can easily see where a person could get off or go to jail, based on the shit I've seen in the deliberation rooms.
[+] 4 users Like Fireball's post
03-11-2015, 11:16 PM
I was called once and dismissed. Generally, attorneys don't like journalists on juries. I'll never forget, I was asked what my job was, and back then I was a newspaper copy editor and page designer. He said, "What does a copy editor and page designer do?" I said, "He edits copy and designs pages." The guy actually didn't know what copy was or what designing a page entitled. My remark got a nice chuckle from the other potential jurors and it got me an early exit. Back then I also worked nights, so getting up at 8a for jury duty wasn't exactly fun for me.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
04-11-2015, 04:34 AM
(03-11-2015 09:03 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I just got dismissed from jury duty. They didn't want me. Sadcryface2 Has anyone here served on a trial that was interesting?
Not jury duty per se, but I did serve on a Board of Courts Martial for a year when I was in the Army. Heard mostly AWOL cases. The routine was the defendant would plead guilty, then we'd hear "extenuation and mitigation" where the defendant would tell his sob story, then we'd sentence him.

One case was a defendant charged with theft. Poor guy got drunk. In the parking lot he found a car that was the same make, model and color as his. Unfortunately for him the keys were in it and he drove it home. Also unfortunately for him his idiot defense attorney talked him into pleading guilty. Having accepted his guilty plea before hearing his story we had no choice but to sentence him. We gave him the lightest sentence possible. (I think that was three months in the stockade.)

As a civilian I've been called twice. The first time I was asked if I had ever served on a jury and I told them about my Courts Martial experience. They let me go home. The second time I wrote them a letter and told them I was undergoing medical treatments that caused me to defecate at least once an hour. They told me not to come in.

Sapere aude
04-11-2015, 06:44 AM
called for federal - never got further than being in the pool....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
04-11-2015, 08:22 AM
I did. It was a DUI case. We acquitted the guy.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac