Jury duty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2015, 08:34 AM
RE: Jury duty
I was called once for a federal jury involving a major drug bust. The trial was supposed to last three weeks, so I made sure I said things that would get me out and luckily they did (if I was retired, it wold have been fun to do, but I had a grant proposal deadline approaching). The second time it was a local trial for disturbing the peace.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2015, 09:46 AM
Last time I was called in for jury duty I must have said something that didn't make me a very good juror for either the defence or prosecutor so they let me go. I wish I knew what it was that I said.

I wonder if they found out a potential juror was an atheist, if this would be good or bad. I guess it depends on the trial. Can they even ask what your religious affiliation is or the lack thereof?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
04-11-2015, 10:07 AM
I've been called for jury duty three times, but never actually got on a jury. The first time was in Racine, WI, back in the 1980s, and I had to go in every day for 2 weeks, and stay until they had picked the juries for all that day's cases. In Madison, WI, where I live now, they do it differently -- all the juries for the whole 2-week period are selected on the first day, and if you don't get picked, you're done. That's what happened the last two times.

In Racine, one of the trials was for attempted murder -- a teenager/young adult had stabbed another teenager/young adult. The victim happened to be the brother of my brother's best friend. During jury selection, I mentioned this, expecting it to mean instant disqualification. The attorney actually asked me "Do you think that would influence your decision as a juror?" Well, duh! I said I would try my best to be impartial, but I wouldn't expect him to trust me on that. I didn't get selected.
04-11-2015, 01:18 PM
(04-11-2015 09:46 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Last time I was called in for jury duty I must have said something that didn't make me a very good juror for either the defence or prosecutor so they let me go. I wish I knew what it was that I said.

I wonder if they found out a potential juror was an atheist, if this would be good or bad. I guess it depends on the trial. Can they even ask what your religious affiliation is or the lack thereof?

Technically, I don't think that they're supposed to. However, if a judge allows it there's not much can be done about it.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
04-11-2015, 01:40 PM
Got called once. Drove to the courthouse 40 miles away, sat in the packed room for *hours* before being told to go home. No fill-out-the-questionaire, no talk-to-the-lawyers. For this I got a measly $18, free parking, and the right to refuse to serve for 3 years.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
04-11-2015, 03:22 PM
Jury duty
I've served a few times. Nothing good, except the judge was in his last month before his mandatory retirement. He was a crotchety bastard and fussed at the attorneys. It took all our energy not to laugh; we didn't want contempt charges.

Odd thing is, my father was called up but couldn't serve because of his hearing. Funny phone conversation. My mother was called up but she doesn't have American citizenship. She thought possibly the laws had changed and was willing to come in. The lady on the phone begged her not to, since they'd be in big trouble.

Now when I get called, I tease the sheriff. I went to school with him and his brother.
04-11-2015, 04:07 PM
(04-11-2015 03:22 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  I've served a few times. Nothing good, except the judge was in his last month before his mandatory retirement. He was a crotchety bastard and fussed at the attorneys. It took all our energy not to laugh; we didn't want contempt charges.

Odd thing is, my father was called up but couldn't serve because of his hearing. Funny phone conversation. My mother was called up but she doesn't have American citizenship. She thought possibly the laws had changed and was willing to come in. The lady on the phone begged her not to, since they'd be in big trouble.

Now when I get called, I tease the sheriff. I went to school with him and his brother.

I'm still stunned that it wasn't until 1973 that women in all 50 states could serve on a jury. I briefly read a few things about this. In the 40's they pretty much required any woman that served on a jury to take a class before she could be considered eligible. I wonder if they did this for men who might be uneducated or close too illiterate? Probably not.

04-11-2015, 04:41 PM
(04-11-2015 04:07 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  In the 40's they pretty much required any woman that served on a jury to take a class before she could be considered eligible. I wonder if they did this for men who might be uneducated or close too illiterate? Probably not.
They don't want you to be too eddykated.

I love the ending where he contaminates the jury.

Sapere aude
[+] 2 users Like f stop's post
04-11-2015, 05:03 PM
(04-11-2015 04:41 PM)f stop Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 04:07 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  In the 40's they pretty much required any woman that served on a jury to take a class before she could be considered eligible. I wonder if they did this for men who might be uneducated or close too illiterate? Probably not.
They don't want you to be too eddykated.

I love the ending where he contaminates the jury.

I despair at the stupidity of people in the US. My husband told me that if he ever is in a position in which he's on trial for some offense and he has an options between a trial by jury or a trial with only the judge, he'd take the judge. People are generally too stupid. I agree.

[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
04-11-2015, 05:06 PM
They regularly call me up for jury duty. I never get selected. Might have something to do with my Sailor Moon outfit. My wife gets called up regularly as well. When the judge asks if anyone has any reason to not serve on the jury my wife always raises her hand. When the judge calls her up and asks her why she can't serve she says "I hate cops." "You may go."

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post