Jury duty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2015, 11:45 AM
RE: Jury duty
(04-11-2015 05:03 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I despair at the stupidity of people in the US. My husband told me that if he ever is in a position in which he's on trial for some offense and he has an options between a trial by jury or a trial with only the judge, he'd take the judge. People are generally too stupid. I agree.
If you are guilty it's best to go with the jury.

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2015, 01:07 PM
I'm and old criminal defense lawyer and I've tried more cases to juries than I can possibly remember. There are some misconceptions here. As a defense lawyer, I usually want smart, well educated, jurors. Try getting a poorly educated person to understand fundamental due process. The poorly educated and stupid jurors just think, "The cops arrested him so he must be guilty." They cannot conceive that innocent people are regularly thrown in front of juries. The prosecution generally does not want poorly educated people. I also want atheists. Religious people tend to be very judgmental and I do not want judgmental people anywhere near my cases. We can ask about religion although some poorly educated judges think we cannot. It doesn't really matter though. By the time I finish my voir dire, even if I don't know what church you go to, I will know whether you believe in the bullshit. There are a dozen questions that will tell me and usually, I will have you bragging about how great your church is. If a potential juror comes in wearing a crucifix, he/she will usually be gone at my first opportunity. If you have been dismissed as a juror, unless the reason is obvious and you were dismissed for cause, you will probably never know the real reason. You may think you know but there is a 99% chance you will be wrong. For example, if I can get you to show the tiniest bit of arrogance during voir dire, I will kick your ass off. No arrogant person will ever recognize that they have this personality defect so they will have to come up with some other reason to explain their discharge.

Jury selection in serious cases. i.e. murder cases, can be very difficult and I have often brought in psychologists to help me with jury selection. I usually have them sit in the front row of the courtroom behind me and I consult with them during breaks. In every trial, I am going to be stuck with some jurors I don't like but the psychologists can help me pick strong people who are likely to be pro defense and have the ability to convince the prosecution jurors of the error of their ways.

Jury selection is very complex. By the way, if you are well educated and you do NOT want to be a juror because you do not want to sit in judgment of another human being, I probably want you. And, if I can pick you out early, I will bust my ass to prevent the prosecution from seeing your good qualities and kicking you off.
[+] 5 users Like Black Eagle's post
06-11-2015, 05:10 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2015 05:16 AM by Slowminded.)
In Serbia we have professional jurors with 5 year mandate that can be extended , they can`t be younger then 26 nor older then 70 and need to have a certain level of education. They are also chosen and appointed for specific cases based on their expertise.

Google translated example:
the criminal proceedings against juveniles, lay judges are elected from the ranks of teachers, teacher educators, as and other professionals who have experience in working with children and young people.

@Black Eagle
As a lawyer , what do you think, is that a good solution ?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
08-11-2015, 10:53 AM
I've only been called for Jury Duty twice. The first time I got out of it, and the second time it was cancelled. My wife is a public defender though. I'm sure I'd be quickly dismissed if I got put on one of her cases.
08-11-2015, 11:02 AM
(05-11-2015 01:07 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  The prosecution generally does not want poorly educated people.

You make a good argument for why you as a defense attorney would be looking for educated, open-minded jurors but you left this hanging. Seems to me a prosecutor would be looking for exactly the opposite: uneducated close-minded jurors who are easily manipulated and give the benefit of the doubt to popo. No?

#sigh
10-11-2015, 02:40 PM
(08-11-2015 11:02 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 01:07 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  The prosecution generally does not want poorly educated people.

You make a good argument for why you as a defense attorney would be looking for educated, open-minded jurors but you left this hanging. Seems to me a prosecutor would be looking for exactly the opposite: uneducated close-minded jurors who are easily manipulated and give the benefit of the doubt to popo. No?

I'm sorry, I mis-typed that. The prosecution generally wants people who are judgmental and who believe that anyone the cops arrested must be guilty. They want people who are NOT analytical and deep thinkers. They do want poorly educated people but even more than that, they want people who are judgmental and just want to get their jury service done and get out of there.