Just A Thought...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Just A Thought...
I had an idea (not necessarily good) a few days ago. I was thinking that I should find a Bible, bring it into my local library, and then put it in the "Mythology" section. I liked the idea, so I kept thinking about it. I thought that maybe one day I could start a website or something, and organize a day where many atheists place a Bible into the Mythology section of their library. Now, after a while, I thought about it again, and thought about the consequences this would have. I can imagine some of the things this would lead to, especially if I got enough people to do it that it actually made news. I talked to my one atheist friend about it, and he liked it. I don't think we were serious, but it was nice to have someone share my views and agree with this idea. What do you guys think?

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned" - Anonymous
I am glad to live where there is no God, for I am moral, and mortal; I do not wish to worship He who crafts an immoral immortality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2011, 03:04 AM
RE: Just A Thought...
A hilarious idea that may lead to different drastic consequences depending on where you live:
1) Atheistic community: EPIC WIN
2) Religious community (mild): Angry
3) Religious community (insane): DEATH! DEATH! DEATH! DEATH! DEATH!
4) Mixed community: Flame war ensues

Other possible scenarios:
1) The government, in hopes of promoting religious harmony, whisks you away into prison, and that event never exists.
2) Riots by people with too much time thanks to your actions
3) The collapse of religion in your area and a new beginning.
4) You have accidentally formed a new trend. You winner.

Here's something for more fun: Put a hidden camera facing that spot and see people's reactions. The more holy texts, from any religion you place there, the more attention grabbing.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
18-09-2011, 08:17 AM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2011 08:25 AM by Peterkin.)
Your bookstore has separate religion and mythology sections? mine is just a single retail space in the mall, with a single section of five shelves for philosophy, occult, UFO's, mythology, new age and religion. Nobody, maybe not even the clerk, would notice if a B(ible) migrated next to an N(orse gods). Hardly the stuff of riots.

ETA
Whoops! You said library, not bookstore.
It wouldn't be noticed much there, either. The volunteer would just put it back in the proper sequence.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
19-09-2011, 10:30 PM
I was thinking more of an organized event across the country, or the state, or whatever, depending on how large the support got. For example, on Jan 1, 2014 or something, thousands of atheists could place a Bible in their mythology section. If only a couple did it, its not a problem. When thousands of Bibles pop into mythology sections (and maybe it could be held more than once), then it would make headlines. It would have consequences, but isn't it kind of a funny idea? Considering I can't drive yet, it would be a while before I actually did this though. However, the later it would be held, the more people would join. We could post it in the forum, and see how many people join. Then people could spread the word, and it wouldn't be one Bible on one shelf. It would be thousands all over the country. That would definitely send a message -- and create a lot of conflict. Isn't it sort of a kind of peaceful protest? No words spoken, just Bible placed where they belong. It's just a thought... nothing definitive as of yet.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned" - Anonymous
I am glad to live where there is no God, for I am moral, and mortal; I do not wish to worship He who crafts an immoral immortality.
20-09-2011, 09:11 AM
If I remember, the ReligiousAntagonist on YouTube did something like that. Maybe I'm a party-pooper, but I think it's kind of a rude thing to do to the people in the library that have to reorganize the books, who will likely be the targets of any rage the religious community might through. D: Putting a book onto a bookshelf in a library is a pretty innocuous and inconspicuous thing, so unless you made some kind of disturbance it's pretty likely that the librarian or the volunteer would get blamed.

I can't wait for the day when the Bible is placed in the mythology section, but until that day, I think that kind of protest would cause neutrals to get caught in the crossfire. D:

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-09-2011, 09:11 AM
(18-09-2011 03:04 AM)robotworld Wrote:  Other possible scenarios:
1) The government, in hopes of promoting religious harmony, whisks you away into prison, and that event never exists.
2) Riots by people with too much time thanks to your actions
3) The collapse of religion in your area and a new beginning.
4) You have accidentally formed a new trend. You winner.

5) Library patrons don't even notice that the Bible is in the wrong place.

I think the last one is the most likely because I spend a lot of time in libraries and I generally don't pay close attention to whether or not a book is in the correct place. If I did notice it I would simply assume that a someone had made a mistake and wouldn't give it any more thought.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-09-2011, 10:14 AM
(20-09-2011 09:11 AM)theophilus Wrote:  5) Library patrons don't even notice that the Bible is in the wrong place.

I think the last one is the most likely because I spend a lot of time in libraries and I generally don't pay close attention to whether or not a book is in the correct place. If I did notice it I would simply assume that a someone had made a mistake and wouldn't give it any more thought.

This outcome has my vote as well.

No offense but the whole idea seems fairly childish. You win arguments with logic and reason. If you have to resort to childish tactics with the intent of inflaming people or trying to get some kind of rise out of them, the reasonable conclusion is that you have nothing of value to add to the general debate.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
20-09-2011, 10:19 AM
They could also retaliate by doing something equally offensive with your favorite sections, like putting the Twilight Saga in science and nature.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
20-09-2011, 10:32 AM
(20-09-2011 10:19 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  They could also retaliate by doing something equally offensive with your favorite sections, like putting the Twilight Saga in science and nature.

ok, that was just absolutely hilarious.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost